Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Olivia
Frequent user January 2017 Nova Scotia

How are you paying for your wedding?

Olivia, on August 30, 2016 at 21:05

Posted in Plan a wedding 57

Hi ladies! ok.... so I dare asking this question... How are you paying for your wedding?? Is it with your own money... credit... etc.? I find it very pricey and I was wondering if you had any tip?

Hi ladies! ok.... so I dare asking this question... How are you paying for your wedding??

Is it with your own money... credit... etc.? I find it very pricey and I was wondering if you had any tip?

57 Comments

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Valerie!!!! That really means a lot! Smiley heart I think it's a good idea, we wanted to combine both our baby shower and bridal shower so we could actually have games like that!! (and I love exclamation marks too) Smiley winking

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats Olivia!Smiley smile
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh wow, well firstly CONGRATS!! That's so exciting!! But yes, might be a bit much to plan all at the same time. But a small something might be really fun! Almost like a shower, but more games and prizes! (I feel like I jused way too make exclamation marks, haha)

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Valerie!! It's such a great idea! I thought it was too late at this point in the process to start organizing something else and raise money.... but it sounds like it's something we could do Smiley smile I totally understand your point to no make it all about the money and especially harassing other people who might not be coming to the wedding... sounds completely disrespectful!! and I think I would like to keep it small.... I'm also due this November so we'll see how everything goes.

• Simone
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Olivia,You are welcome. Anytime! I hope all is well with you and your wedding plans are going well!Smiley smile
  • Simone
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks Emilie, I will definitely create a discussion on this as there might be brides and grooms in Manitoba looking for more information and for anyone that would like to get resources on wedding socials. Smiley smile
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Ontario we call them 'Stag and Doe' or 'Jack and Jill' parties (depends on the region you are in). Some people find them REALLY tacky, but I think as long as you make it fun and not just a money grabbing thing (I've had co-workers really harass me to buy tickets from them at $20 each! Or worse, buy tickets for a friend or a friends party) people are ok with them. You just need to know your crowd (especially if they aren't common in your area).

And you definitely still have time to throw one, here they are commonly done about 1-3 months before the wedding. I'll be having a Stag and Doe in late Janurary/early Feb. Commonly the wedding party helps run little games with you and they donate prizes (if they want to/can). Jello shots go over really well and are easy to make (so many amazing recipes online!). As long as you try and make the event a fun party atmosphere, people are more receptive towards them (at least I've found), and keep the ticket price relatively low ($5-10 works well from what I've seen).

Happy planning!

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Simone! Smiley heart I really like this idea! I think it's such a great way to have everyone meet each other before the wedding and also to contribute while having fun. You should really create a discussion about it to share this idea with other brides and show us how you're doing it. Smiley smile

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is such a great idea Simone! I'll make sure to keep it in mind. I won't have much time to organize it before the wedding but that gives me loads of great ideas for the reception. Thanks a lot! Smiley smile

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Em! Smiley smile I already use the my budget tool and I find it really useful. I like the article and tips to save on my wedding dress. I'll definitely follow their advice for my accessories since I already chose on my dress. I still have my two fitting appointments left. Smiley smile I'll let you know how it goes!!!

• Simone
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Emilie, thank you. The wedding social is done separately from the engagement party. However. There are times the bride and groom will have their wedding social and wedding reception together in one day. I attend a wedding receptions and wedding social in one day that my friend had and she said it was a lot of work. You can come up with games for guest to pay to play. The last wedding social, they charge $5.00 to shoot hoops and to win the game based on top scoring shots made within 5 minutes. I am in the beginning stage, I have to start collect prizes. Also I forgot to mentioned that you can write to companies to see if they are willing to donate prizes for your wedding. Some companies in Manitoba will do it free of charge or may charge a small fee for the prizes and the bride and groom would have to list all that donated. Also we have to follow the rules set out by Liquor and Gambling in terms of wedding socials so that we don't get fined or have the ever shut down.
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Simone! Smiley heart

I think this is a great idea! Smiley gift Is this party done together with the engagement party?

You could even play more games with your guests to raise money. Maybe you could even adapt one of these Smiley smile

Fun Games for your Wedding Reception

5 activities to keep your guests entertained

How far along in your preparations do you usually through this party?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Devon! Smiley heart

I think having a brunch/lunch wedding is an awesome idea! What kind of venue did you book?

I created this discussion to give you some ideas for your wedding menu. Let me know which ones you like Smiley smile

5 great ideas for a brunch wedding menu

A very spring wedding with maple syrup

It's great that you're able to stay under budget! Smiley smile Are you using the My Budget tool?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Olivia! Smiley heart

I'm so happy you brought up this topic and got such useful answers! Smiley smile

I understand that in the moment you're at right now, with becoming a mom soon, and planning your wedding... there's a lot on your plate.

You could use the My Budget tool to make sure you have everything under control and don't go over budget.

I also thought you could find this article useful. Smiley smile

5 Easy Ways to Save Money on your Wedding Dress

I remember you had a few options of wedding dress in mind, did you already choose on your wedding dress?

• Simone
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The best part you get to keep the money and put it towards the wedding. The disadvantage at first is having to buy the liquor, food and prizes, however with budgeting and going to places that have good deals on these items, it works out very well in the end. Smiley smile
  • Simone
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Olivia, a wedding social is a fundraiser that the bride and groom throws to raise money for their wedding. They sell tickets to guests and can sell support tickets to people. Usually, the wedding party helps the bride and groom by donating prizes for silent auctions that guest buy tickets to get a chance to win. The social for most people will have a 50/50 where guests buy tickets to win have of total sale of the ticket. Example, total sale of $500 was raised, $250.00 goes to the bride and groom and the other half goes to the guest. The bride and groom have to obtain a social permit along with a liquor license if they intend on selling alcohol. Also if alcohol is being sold, must be provide. It's also includes music for the guest to dance too. So far I have booked a community centre to have it there and a DJ to provide the music. This very common in Manitoba.
  • Devon
    Beginner May 2017 British Columbia
    Devon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh, I know! Everything really starts adding up!
    We had some discussions early on about what was important to us and where we really didn't mind cutting back or no having. So we're having a Sunday brunch/lunch wedding. Not having a bridal party or rehearsal dinner. We're still working on everything but for a lot of things staying below budget as much as possible is more important than all the details Smiley smile
  • Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Amanda! I think that's by far the best way to do it! I just read you're also a mom! How do you do it? I'm about to have my first one and I feel like it's a lot to take in (i really mean spending) at once

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Maddy! Right now, we're trying to save A LOT! But since we're also having our first baby soon... It's quite hard to buy everything just from our own money... That's why I'm looking for different options

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Simone! I'm really intrigued with your idea of the wedding social!! What is it exactly??

• Olivia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Devon! Thanks for your reply!!! I think that's the best way to go!! That's what we've been trying to do too, but I can't believe how expensive everything is getting!!! Smiley xd Where are you saving on cost??

• Amanda
    Frequent user August 2017 Saskatchewan
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our own money, were paying for something every month or budgeting to save for what wr need Smiley smile
  • Simone
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For our wedding, I am getting help from family and having a wedding social. Wedding socials are big in Manitoba and it is a good way to raise money. Plus. we will be making contributions towards the wedding as well.Smiley smile

• Devon
    Beginner May 2017 British Columbia
    Devon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're saving up for ours. We figured out how much we needed and it automatically gets moved to a separate account every payday. May parents have both said they're contributing but we've budgeted what we can afford and anything the do give us will be extra Smiley laugh we really don't want to go into debt for one day
  • Maddy
    Frequent user June 2017 Ontario
    Maddy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our parents are helping us a lot but we are also looking to borrow money from the bank or just using our savings. we're considering different options with our bankers to see what's best. what about you?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics