Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristen
Beginner August 2021 New Brunswick

How are you making your wedding more eco-friendly?

Kristen, on October 2, 2020 at 14:57 Posted in Plan a wedding 2 10

I am super passionate about trying to avoid disposable decor and limit plastics in our wedding (no balloons here).

Some things we are doing:

- Paper cups for the bar (not ideal so other options welcome!)

- tree saplings as wedding favours

- buying things second hand when available

- locally sourced food

What are some ways that you are making your wedding more eco-friendly?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on October 13, 2020 at 12:41
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went eco friendly for renting floral balls and vases as well as using water coloured beads.

• Alyssa
    Curious December 2021 Alberta
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

With seed paper you need to be caution about the seeds use and that they are suitable for your area to avoid the invasion of invasive species.

We are avoiding favours in lieu of making a donation to our favourite charity - likely an outdoor conversation or animal rescue. This way no favours go to waste and the packaging of favours isn't created.

Wedding planning or in life, my biggest environmental approach is to avoid packaging whenever possible - like you, buying used or renting is a great step towards this!

Go Green Bridal!

• Cara
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Cara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love this thread!! I want to keep as much of our wedding as sustainable as possible, as well 💛

For outfits, I want to be able to reuse as much as possible in the future (my wedding shoes are just a newer pair of boots that I already own and love so when those wear out, these will replace them; I want to work with my bridesmaids to make sure that their outfits are something they’ll love and wear more than once; and the guys’ outfits will be comprised of wardrobe staples they already own and/or will definitely wear again).
    For decor, we went with a venue package that includes their own decor pieces so that we aren’t having to purchase new pieces or transport rented pieces to the venue.
    Favours (if we do them) will have minimal packaging or be something we or our guests will definitely use or consume in some way.
    Following along with this thread to get more ideas too Smiley smile
  • Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We found an eco friendly photobooth in our area (Nature Booth if anyone is interested!). They had a package where rather than printing pictures that will likely get thrown out, the guests can put in their email and they'll send you the pictures virtually. It was a double win because it was also cheaper than most photobooths!

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Marg,

This is such a great idea. I have seen seed paper done and the results are beautiful. Maybe I'll take the same approach when paper is needed!

K

• Marg
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Marg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm planning to avoid paper goods as much as possible (as in no paper invitations, no printed menus) but if I get stumped and need paper, I want to use seed paper! It comes imbedded with wildflower seeds and after the wedding, you can plant the whole sheet!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're not going to a florist. Instead we're using a decorator who has more options since they have a warehouse full of non-floral style decor as well. Look up decor companies in your area with special packages for head table decor. They usually have a bunch of affordable silk flower arrangement options.
  • Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love the idea of silk flowers! Have you found a good source?
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought a lot of things second hand. All my centerpieces, my name tag holders,candy bar dishes, I bought wood flowers that can be reused as well. I am also doing everything all in one place to save on travel for guests. Once they get to venue the ceremony and reception will be all there.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A lot of our decor will be rented so it's reused by other parties. Silk flowers will be used for the backdrop instead of fresh flowers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics