Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Liga
Devoted June 2021 Quebec

How about marriage contract....do you have it or will you have it....

Liga, on October 13, 2019 at 22:24 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

Since my husband is self made man. And he have made a good success in his carier and in his business before he met me. I was ok with marriage contract.

Of course, when you both are young and just start from nothing, no need for contract I guess.

MarriageHow about marriage contract....do you have it or will you have it.... 1

16 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on November 4, 2019 at 15:00
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have a prenuptial agreement due to the fact that neither of us are going into our marriage with any significant wealth.

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ashley...I think t is very fair! Sometime women get upset, that man wants to have marriage contract, to protect what he already have, but when you are woman and you have something to protect...you understand.

Anyway...all what you make after marriage will stay in marriage.

We separated in our contract, that I never ever would ask anything from my husband business ( if we would divorce ). I would even recommend..couples...who have things in credit...you buy house together cars with loan, you have children. To take a life insurance for both partners. So...if something would happen, you would have some support! Since today, life insurance is very affordable.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I asked him for a prenup. i have money saved that i dont want to lose.... he agreed he didnt mind when i brought it up. he said thats fair.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My understanding is that to ensure it is valid, if someone is giving up rights that they already have, such as might be the case when a common law partner signs a marriage contract, they would need to be given something in consideration.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't but only because the default, legislated marriage contract works for us. And that's the thing; It isn't that marriages that don't draft a prenup don't have an agreement on how things will be split, they are just opting for the government's "prenup" as outlined in the legislation.

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tori...I understand..When starting relationship you are not in the same material status it is making sense to want protect what you already have. Imagine you would have made million dollar business, before meeting your husband. Makes sense for me, that people want to protect what they have made with their own work, alone.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No marriage contract/ prenup for us!

We both agree that this is for the long haul and that it's till death do us part Smiley smile

Besides, we want kids and you would never want your kid to have one parent that can afford everything while the other can't so I don't see a need for one unless you aren't having kids or if you aren't in it for the rest of your lives.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be having a marriage contract.

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cynthia...That is my situation. My partner with who we are living together for 7 years, had business before we met. So, he wants to protect it. I am ok with it. Anyway...all the new assets what we buy in family is together.

If I would have business before marriage I would want protect it as well.

Of course...in your interest it would be nicer no to sign itSmiley smile But for your partner it would be better if you sign it!

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Valerie..I agree...it is depending from situation!

• Cynthia
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are suppose to have a prenup. We have been engaged since dec 24,2017, mariage date is August 01,2020 and he has yet to go get the papers done...

I guess time will tell if I’ll be signing one.
    He asked for one since he has a business That he started way before he met me. Also owns a lot.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Had myself or my husband come from a wealthy family or had assets to protect, we probably would've gone with a prenup.

Since we don't fall in either of those categories, we didn't sign anything. We've also been together for almost 9 years, so it didn't feel necessary.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't need one....If anyone has been living together already for a year or two (depending on the province), most couples would be considered common law. I wonder how any common law period would legally impact a pre-nup/wedding contract though.

• DrB
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    DrB ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had no need for one- I have more income potential than he does, but I also have student debt that he didn’t have. Neither of us owned anything significant before we got married, and neither of us is planning on staying home to raise children (thus slowing down or stopping our careers). I would have zero issue in signing one though - neither of us would seek alimony in a divorce, and now everything of value that we own was purchased in the marriage.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do the marriage contract. We were together for many years. There wasn't any reason to go this path with our decision.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We won't be having a marriage contract. We've been together for quite a few years and have children together. As long as the contract is fair I see no reason not to have one. If they go through the trouble of making one I would have a lawyer look it over before I would sign it though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics