Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lisa
Curious June 2023 Alberta

Hotel Block Booking Timeline

Lisa, on August 30, 2022 at 11:12 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

Hey all!

We're getting married June 2023 at a hotel venue, and 50%+ of the guest list will be coming from out of town. I have already spoken to our venue coordinator about booking a hotel block, but I'm confused on when I should be asking my hotel to hold the rooms for my guests.

The WW timeline for booking the hotel block suggests 7-9 months out, but the venue coordinator suggested it would be booked closer to 1 month out.

I will be asking RSVP's to be submitted 5-6 weeks ahead to allow for any follow-up buffers I might need.

Should I be contacting my hotel sooner rather than later about booking the hotel block, or trust the coordinator's judgement? I'm also trying to consider that some of my guests are planners, and will probably want to book their room sooner rather than later.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Carine, on September 6, 2022 at 11:34
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used to work at a hotel and depending on the location, hotel high season, I would book that as soon as you know. Also make sure in your contract you have 24 hour cancelation notice, this way you will not be charged for last minute cancelation and they could post that room on Expedia. I would not wait a month out, you are better to listen to WW. Hotels already start their booking, group bookings, you risk running out of rooms and have to do two separate block reservations at different hotels. Start reaching out to hotels and ask about their block booking policies.

• Lisa
    Curious June 2023 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone!
    I reached out to the hotel and found that our contact person changed…again…
    A little stressful and aggravating. But the new rep got a promo code set up for me, however it’s not working correctly. He’s having the manager look into it.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The booking timeline for guests to make their reservations can be anytime they get the opportunity when receiving the invitation with the accommodations rates and names to mention when booking.
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do it now. My wedding is in May 6, 2023 and I called last month to do it. She said it is a good thing to get it done early because you never know what can get booked up in the coming months. They gave me a link and phone code to incorporate into a details card with a deadline of April 7 to get the discounted rate. Also suggested to follow up with them in April to see how many had booked and if you think there were guests that haven't done it but need it, you can always reach out to them before the deadline.

• Jenny
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely do it sooner rather than later, it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
  • Elizabeth
    Newbie September 2022 British Columbia
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have a feel of what people want…ask them. Since your wedding is in June…aka prime season, it would be nice to book about 2 - 3 months in advance. Most of my guests booked their hotel rooms a month before our wedding…the rooms were blocked off for two months and everyone waited till the last possible moment to book.

• Andrea
    Newbie August 2023 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I booked two hotel blocks and we are a year out, we only did 5 rooms at each to start but if they fill up we can always call the hotel to see if they can block a few more.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked our block right after we booked our venue.. 1.5 years out.
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

SO I think this will also depend on what type of block you are doing and what type of hotel it is.

There were 2 hotels near my venue, one was smaller with very limited rooms, and the other was a big massive one. Naturally, I could only block so many at the smaller hotel, as if I had blocked anymore, they wouldn't have any others for other guests. And I did not do a paid block because most of our friends live in the city, its mostly family that needs rooms. Second hotel I was able to just get a general discount off booking because they had so much space.

I think based on the time of year you are booking, 7-9 months out could be too soon, but I also wouldn't wait til 1 month out. My wedding is on long weekend of October and I booked 3 months out.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't wait till a month before. You run the risk of the hotel being too booked to accommodate your guests. That actually happened at a friend of mines wedding! I would see if you can book a room block around the 6-7 month mark then release any rooms not booked about a month before the wedding
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would call sooner rather than later. Some Hotels can book up to a year in advance

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics