Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maggie
Newbie October 2017 Nova Scotia

Hors d'oeuvres

Maggie, on January 4, 2017 at 20:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 5

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and newly engaged and planning our wedding for October 2017.

My FH and I absolutely love appetizers and hors d'ooeuvres, we frequently go out for "supper" and order a couple of appetizers instead of a meal. That being said, we'd really like to do hors d'oeuvres at our reception.

I know generally the idea is that these types of receptions are done for cost-saving purposes, however this is not our intention. We plan to have loads of food (15-20 pieces per person) and many different options for guest to choose. It will include heavier options such as a sandwich bar with freshly carved ham and roast beef with toppings, a stirfry bar, in addition to passed hors d'oeuvres and other trays that guests can help themselves.

I've seen on other message boards about criticism around the time of a hors d'oeuvres only reception. We're hoping to have our reception start at 6:30pm, many think this is too early due to conflicting with supper time from what I have read? Is this really too early if we intend to make this like meal?

What does everyone think?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Samtam, on January 5, 2017 at 13:15
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great points Valerie! I agree and think that this could totally work! I would love to go to a wedding with so much variety of food! It sounds like the stations would provide them with some larger portions if they are still hungry which is a great idea. Like Valerie said, as long as there are enough servers and they're able to get to everyone (so it's not just the same people that keep stealing all the food!), I think it could definitely work. And I love that it sounds like something that is very personal to you and your fiance!

Do you plan on having a variety of desserts as well or just a traditional cake? Congratulations on your engagement! Look forward to hearing more about your wedding!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also, congrats on your engagement and welcome to the community!!!
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this is totally acceptable (and sounds delicious!). I've had plenty of work holiday parties where the "dinner" was passed apps and some were great and others awful. I think the key is volume and accessibility. The parties that sucked were the ones where only 2 servers were walking around with only a small tray at a time, they barely got out of the kitchen before they were jumped and then there was a long wait until the next tray came out. We were STARVING and people had to hover around the kitchen to eat (and then had to awkwardly eat standing there)Good parties had lots of servers and then food was STEADY at the beginning and then slowed as the night went on and people had eaten a fair amount. I think having a few stations is a great idea too!
  • María
    Featured Valle del Cauca
    María ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Maggie, welcome to WW Canada Community! We are very happy to see you here, you'll see we all help each other with the wedding preparations Smiley smile

I also love to order different appetizers and taste all the menu in the restaurant instead of a big plate just for me. Im with Lindsey, it's a great idea to serve the appetizers at 6:30 or 7:00 pm, you could schedule it during prime dinner time, i sure your guests's stomachs will expect to be fed Smiley xd

Alse make sure to check this helpful chart:

wedding appetizers quantity

And also, here are some ideas for your appetizers Smiley smile

8 appetizer ideas for your wedding

What will be on your wedding menu?

4 tempting wedding food ideas

Food Trends for Weddings in 2017

• L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So this is what we are planning to do! You can easily fill up on appetizers, especially if the plan is to use it as a meal. If anything, I eat more while grazing than a three course meal. Especially if you roll out the food in waves and offer snacks later, I don't see any reason why this isn't totally acceptable.
    My only suggestion would be to explain (either with the invite or on your wedding website) exactly what the plan is!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics