Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melanie
Curious August 2022 Alberta

Honeymoon fund

Melanie, on January 16, 2022 at 23:24 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
My fiancé and I live together and pretty much have everything we need, so we’ve decided to do a cash registry to put towards our honeymoon. For anyone else that has done this, did you set up an actual cash registry or did guests just assume to give cash if you didn’t have an actual registry set up?

Bonus points if you can recommend a site that allows cash registries, where you can add your bank account rather than a PayPal!
TIA

15 Comments

Latest activity by Alyx, on January 30, 2022 at 21:28
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe your welcome!! The knot app really makes it so easy to create!!

Yes that definitely makes sense for you guys! ☺️
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for sharing the link- your website is incredible!

As we are getting married "later in life" and have been living together for 6 years as well as kids from previous relationships aged from 13-24 we aren't creating a registry. If our guests want to give money we are happiest with that, gifts are also good but nothing is fine with us too!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't see a problem with asking for monetary gifts as we do it for any weddings we attend and gifts just get put aside since the house is set already. On the invitation itself, you can put No Boxed Gifts Please which does indicate you would get money instead.

As a guest to feel appreciated to give a gift, a Thank You card can be placed on each guest seating to let them you're setting up a honeymoon fund. From what I hear about websites of cash registries, they take some of it part of their cost which would concern me in way.

• BreddGar
    Curious March 2023 Greater London
    BreddGar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's amazing! But I think that the gift should be a surprise and there is no need to impose on guests what to give.

• Farrah
    Curious April 2023 British Columbia
    Farrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

On my wedding website I have written "We are extremely lucky to have a home full of appliances and furniture, so if you'd like to help us celebrate with a gift, we've set up a honeymoon fund at (details here)."

I have though set up a registry on Amazon and The Bay with a very small selection of items for those who really like INSIST on getting a gift that way they can still choose from things we would actually want/need.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also, be very careful the way you ask for money. It can come off incredibly tacky and rude. Not saying you weren't planning it tastefully, but just a heads-up. Obviously we did it too lol we just put a lot of thought into it and didn't write it in big letters on our invites some 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were in the same boat but did a small registry to avoid useless or ugly gifts we did not want and can't return from those that do not like to give cash (fair enough!). We ended up with one still but I call that a win! LOL. We used MyRegistry and used the opprtuniry to upgrade items or add things we wouldn't normally spend on ourselves. We then opened a honeyfund with our travel agent, which cost us and guests nothing whereas most sites take a fee. We had a little poem/card picture thing on our registry site as the top item. One person gave towards that for the wedding 🤣, two for my shower, but 80% of guests gave straight cash/cheques. Honeymoon has been postponed twice now BUT we can take the money out whenever we want.
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Melanie,
    My hubby and I had set up registries since we were getting our first home together in 3 days after the wedding. But some guests did assume and did give cash. So if you don’t have any registry, they would ask if you have one or they will assume to provide money. So that works as well.
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I, too, am in the same boat, been living with my partner almost 7 years so we don't need household items.

I've been doing a lot of googling and so far, only direct to bank account site I have found is Zankyou. https://www.zankyou.ca/gift-registry
    If I end up going an actual site, I'll probably make a sign with a QR code so if people wish to still give a gift or want to give cash, they'd have access at the venue.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We put a cute little poem type thing about how we would prefer cash for our first home. You could just chance first house to honeymoon.
    Honeymoon fund 1

• L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think my fiance and I will be putting on our invitations as well as the website that we won't have a registry and are accepting money in order to fund our honeymoon

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are just leaving it up to our guests. Our circle of people just give money.
  • Katie
    Frequent user June 2023 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for sharing your website! It’s beautiful!
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I have lived together for 5 years and have a 1 year old.. we have enough stuff! Lol So we decided to do a honeymoon fund.
    I used the knot as my wedding website. You can add a honeymoon fund on there so when your guests goto menu they will see registry but I decided to delete the column completely and add a new column, add a title “honeymoon fund” and put a cute poem.
    I am expecting people to put the money in a card , if people don’t want to do that they can e transfer my fiancé and I as I have left our email at the bottom. It’s up to you weather you actually want to use the knots honeymoon fund registry part of their website! It’s really good and I love their templates for wedding website as well!
    This was the poem I used
    A NOTE ON GIFTS:

WE'VE BEEN TOGETHER A YEAR OR TWO 
WE DON'T REALLY NEED ANYTHING NEW,
DON’T GO OUT SHOPPING OR GET YOURSELF STRESSED,
DON’T ALTER YOUR PLANS FOR A PRE WEDDING REST.
IF YOU WANT TO BE GENEROUS, DESPITE WHAT WE’VE SAID,
THEN SAVE ALL THE HASSLE AND DO THIS INSTEAD! 
CONTRIBUTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME, WE’LL GO SOMEWHERE HOT!
A HONEYMOON WOULD BE MARVELLOUS, TO START OFF OUR LIFE
IN OUR LONG WINDING JOURNEY, AS NEW HUSBAND AND WIFE!
BUT JUST REMEMBER WHAT MEANS THE MOST,
IS THAT YOU'RE WITH US TO RAISE A TOAST!

THANK YOU, 
JUSTIN & ALYX

If you want too you can take a look at how my website looks at theknot.com/alyxandjustin2022
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I don't have a registry either. We are just letting our guests know with a little insert in our invites in lieu of gifts a monetary gift for our honeymoon is graciously welcome

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics