Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kellie
Beginner October 2019 Ontario

Homemade Cake

Kellie, on January 12, 2018 at 19:18 Posted in DIY 0 25

I was wondering if anyone is baking their own cake or having someone that they know make it for them? My Fianceé and I are considering making our own to cut some costs but we are still unsure if its the right move.

25 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on May 22, 2018 at 14:43
  • Shannon
    Curious July 2019 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A friend of ours is a baker and asked if we would allow her to make our cake as a wedding gift. I emphatically and delightfully accepted Smiley smile
  • Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom is making our cake. she does do really good cakes and i wanted her to be distracted and do something to be a part of it. Shell want to make it fancy and put her effort into it so i was ok letting her do it. Its a box cake but im not that into the cake to be honest. i know itll taste good (Spice cake) and itll be a naked cake (so bare minimum of cream cheese icing) and decorated with sunflowers. Not too fancy and luckily wont cost us anything.

If you dont are about the cake so much being really fancy. GO FOR HOMEMADE. you're only going to eat it anyway.

• Sarah
    Beginner June 2018 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok perfect! Thanks so much for your input, we feel totally the same!! Nice to feel on the same page as someone ahah. Good luck on your cake! Love to see how it turns out if you take photos Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is a great idea! You can make it the day before and put someone in charge of transporting it to the reception.

• Sammie
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Sammie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sister is doing ours. I am so excited. Will look something like this one.

Homemade Cake 1
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend used to work at a bakery making wedding cakes so she is doing ours as our gift from her and I am so excited. We have given her control over the design so we won’t know what it looks like until the day of!
  • Jaime
    Newbie July 2018 Alberta
    Jaime ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ve never thought of Sobeys for a wedding cake/ cupcakes. That’s brilliant.
  • Hollie
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Hollie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sister and I are baking are my cake Smiley smile we are doing a small cake for cutting and the rest cupcakes. Its helping us stay in the budget! If you could find someone to be responsible of transferring it you could do it.
  • Kellie
    Kellie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely agree it's your special day and you should be able to make your own cake!

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am planning on doing just a little one to two tier I have some time to practice. I plan on cutting it but it’s more or less for photos. I just am trying to avoid the cutting fee that comes with cutting the cake. It’s hard I understand what everyone is saying that I’m going to be so busy I’m not gonna want to deal with the cake.

But it for us this is something that we both feel strongly about. To spend that money on a cake that only we are cutting and having a piece is just ridiculous.
  • Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm making my own cake just for the cake cutting and also doing cup cakes for everyone.
  • Kellie
    Kellie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was our main concern as well! We were worried that baking and transporting our cake would cause unnecessary stress. We will probably go with a baker at this point!

• Samantha
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were going to do this but we figured we would have so much to do and would not want to worry about one more thing!
  • Sarah
    Beginner June 2018 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In making your own cake, are you just doing one tier? My fiancé and I are not big cake people either and are looking into either buying one tier to cut, or making it ourselves. Are you guys even eating it, or just for photos?

Our in laws feel the same about us doing things in a non traditional way, ugh! ahah

• Kellie
    Kellie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you, everyone, for the input!

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My parents when they got married had the traditional wedding cake which was made by a family member. Fruit cake!! We're not doing this . We're trying to find someone to do a smaller cake for cutting 2 tier so we can keep one for our 1st anniversary. Then I'm thinking my family has a tradition of these things they call raquettes or nothings so good. Those will be homemade.
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Interesting idea. Didn't even think of this for cupcakes.
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im having my cousin make ours. ... Just make youtube your best friend, it's a great outlet to learn things!!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Making your cake would be great and customizing to whatvypu want to put on as decor. Youtube is the answer to see what is needed and how to make it.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having my future mother in law do ours.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a family make who is a baker on the side and does amazing cakes so ours, she offered to do it for free to help us save money.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would suggest having a small cake for you to cut. Then buy sheet cakes to slice and serve. I used to work in a bakery and this was the cheapest option. Plus, the size of slice that is recommended for wedding cakes is super small. An 8' round cake we said served 8-10. For a wedding, we would say the same size would serve 20. If you are having other desserts, that's fine, but if cake is the main dessert, people will want a regular size piece.

• Michelle
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on the amount of people going. Baking for 50 people is more do-able then baking cake for 150 people.

Just an idea that me and my fiance are doing to save costs. I contacted Sobeys grocery store bakery and asked them about cupcakes (not sure if your into that idea, but I'll share my idea in case you are). So we're going to do cupcakes instead, and a small cake for us to cut.

I was quoted for 80 cupcakes $60. These are the nice big whipped icing that doesn't taste like garbage haha. They can even put pretty edible pearls on them for you! Gonna save us a fortune and sobeys cake is always moist and amazing.
  • Samantha
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am a baker, and personally I would suggest not to make it yourself. The problem is that cake needs to be made fresh and the days leading right up to the wedding will be pretty busy for you two, so doing it yourself may be a big endeavour.

Im getting married spring 2019 and I have decided that I am going to have someone make a simple 3 tier cake for me but I will make the edible flowers, because I can do that a month ahead.

maybe you want to invest in something simple and spruce it up yourself?
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am planning on making my own cake but it will not be a big one. We are planning on doing cookies or something along those lines for the guests to eat. My fiancé and I aren’t big cake people so this was an easy alternative for us.

I have been getting a lot of resistance from my mother in law. But like we tell her it’s our wedding and we will do what we want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics