Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

katiekies
Curious May 2023 British Columbia

High Noon - good or bad idea?

katiekies, on March 20, 2022 at 14:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9

I met with my dream venue on Friday, and she said the two options for the ceremony and photos in the garden would be 11am-2pm and 2pm-5pm. I was leaning towards an 11:30am ceremony anyways - guests can have cocktail hour lunch while we do photos, it seems perfect!

And then I talked to a photographer this morning ... without even me mentioning times, she gave me a pro tip: get married after 2pm, because the lighting will be horrible at noon, plus the heat ... which I hadn't considered.

Our plan is either late May or early June. Are there ways around the lighting and heat if we do choose 11am-2pm? Is it a terrible idea? I mean, the venue wouldn't offer that option if it was a bad idea, right? And the photographer DID say there were ways around the sun, so I'm hopeful ...

What do you think?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on March 31, 2022 at 15:03
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is you and your SO wedding, if this time works for you both. Then that works and others have to work around it, especially since you’re hiring them.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You set the tone and time for your wedding to work around the photo timing. The photographer has to do the rest and make the best of the situation. This is your day to celebrate to which you have been given the time for photos not to miss out on the timings in between. Despite the weather, just go with the flow and see where the sunshine is headed to make the best spot for your and your husband. Any photographer can give suggestions for the posing of the photos but not on timing of what they are not aware about. You are more aware on this information to know better and take control of it.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could always go now at noon hour to take a look. Not sure how things are like where you are but in Toronto, the sunlight is starting to return to spring levels. If you're pale, all the more reason to try for softer light on you.

If you really want to stick with an 11am ceremony slot, you might want to rent something that can cover you from the top to reduce the harsh noon hour light hitting your face.

• katiekies
    katiekies ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I mean ... I've been pale my whole life, so that's my norm, lol. No, I appreciate your perspective - I just don't know if I can wait a month to choose the time; when we book, my understanding is that we book the 11am-2pm slot or the 2pm-5pm slot.

My Dad is 300+ lbs - there will be appetizers, and a couple stations, and veggie and fruit trays - not going to starve our guests, I promise! And the cake/cupcakes would be done earlier too - that way the photographer doesn't have to wait around until like 7pm for no reason.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can already see how you'll be washed out when standing at the altar (assuming this is the steps and not the gazebo). If you're having a videographer, this will also create problems. I suggest you going there at noon hour next month and take a photo at that same spot to asses the situation.

When you say you want to finish the party earlier in the night, do you mean before dinner or are you expecting your guests to stay for a dinner reception? Not sure how big your cocktail lunch is but if it's the standard cocktail hour appetizers where each guest gets 5 little pieces, I can guarantee they'll be hungry well before dinner time. Just some food for thought (pun intended).

• katiekies
    katiekies ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My reasoning for having a morning ceremony was:

* (Selfish) Did not want to be in hair-and-makeup during lunch time

* (Considerate) A large portion of our guest list is kids, and I figured we would finish the party earlier in the night rather than dance until 2am

I attached some photos of our ceremony space (from the venue's website), to give an idea of what we're working with.

High Noon - good or bad idea? 1

High Noon - good or bad idea? 2

High Noon - good or bad idea? 3

High Noon - good or bad idea? 4

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's always ways around it, but whether it's worth it or not is up to you. If you're planning to do a lot of indoor photos, or if the outdoor locations have some kind of overhead covering (plenty of trees, a canopy/roof etc) then you can probably make do. But if you're in an area where there's nothing covering you from up top, you will get peak sun at noon hour and the photographer will have to do more work to ensure photos aren't washed out, leading to fewer shots or needing more time to complete your shot list. And even then, depending on the circumstances, some shots may simply not be salvageable.

Is the cocktail lunch the extent of your reception or are you expecting people to hang around until late at night?

Any particular reason you want to have a morning ceremony vs an afternoon one?

As for the venue wouldn't offer that option if it was a bad idea, right?

Venue just wants to maximize business opportunities. Some people want to only use their space for a ceremony and venues tend to stick them in the 11am-2pm slot so that a full day rental can take the 2pm slot that leads into a dinner reception.

• katiekies
    katiekies ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Amanda, that is super encouraging and supportive Smiley heart

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any professional photographer will know how to work around any kind of lighting. No matter what!

Just remember this is you and your fiance's big day. Get married at whatever time you want!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics