Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katie
Curious May 2018 Ontario

Help with wedding colours!

Katie, on August 3, 2017 at 14:06 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 32

So we are getting married in early May of 2018 and can't decide on wedding colours.

Both of us are not really drawn to pastels which seem to be the go-to colours for Spring. However, i'm not opposed to a pastel if it's an accent colour.

I really love eggplant, wine, and purple but I'm worried they may be better suited for a fall wedding. I was thinking I could soften things by adding an accent of lavender or blush.

My dress is all white and I believe I'll be wearing silver shoes.

My fiance won't stray from black for his tux.

Our wedding venue is Archeo which has a lot of exposed brick and wood.

32 Comments

Latest activity by Lisa, on August 31, 2017 at 09:52
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi there! At this day in age I don't think it matters what season it is. If you like it than do it. I like the same colour palette you do! So I'm having like a dark fuschia but lightening it with light, medium shades of pink and some peach!!!

Help with wedding colours! - 1

Help with wedding colours! - 2
  • Dana
    Curious May 2018 British Columbia
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh so pretty! Congrats! Its going to be beautiful Smiley smile

• Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the response. Smiley smileYour colours sound like they are going to work beautifully in your space.
    We've went with eggplant, blush and silver. There will also be hints of green.
  • Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We might look into getting a tent now too. Smiley smile
    Yes, I was also under the impression that if you're getting married at a venue in the distillery, you don't need to obtain a separate permit for shooting outside. I was looking at obtaining a separate permit for one of the art galleries etc. in case it rains so all of my photos aren't just in Archeo. You need a permit for the other indoor spaces in the distillery...or at least that's what I've been told. 😳
  • Dana
    Curious May 2018 British Columbia
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hiya! We're also doing a bit of a rustic wedding in a teensy vintage style ciderhouse so I can see some parallels here. I'm going with a white lace bodice and blush/peachy skirt, my ladies are wearing deep blue (except MOH who is wearing pale gray)

My FH is wearing a navy blue suit, and his groomsmen will be in lighter gray suits. As a subtle addition, most of my greenery will be silver dollar eucalyptus, which is a pale sagey green that will also be accented throughout, with baby's breath and a minimal amount of peach peonies and some copper metallic accents where necessary alongside the exposed wood.

I'd definitely recommend a dark blue and sage for that fresh feel, and accented with gold or copper or even silver would look crisp and modern yet compliment the space without being overly spring like.

Just a suggestion! I can totally relate to your struggles Smiley smile

• Natalie
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I haven't seen any pics with the tent! So strange. But you're right - $1000 for peace of mind is the debate...we'll probably do the tent. Smiley smile Do you need to get a photo permit for inside and outside in the Distillary? I was under the impression that as long as you were getting married in the Distillary (the ceremony) you didn't need a permit?
  • Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! I think they will end up working nicely too. And like you, we're also not really having a bridal party; just a maid of honour and best man.
    Oh really? I didn't know they allowed tents so thanks for the heads up. But you're right-$1000 is a lot to lose if it doesn't rain. Have you seen pictures with everything set up under the tent.I guess the way you have to look at it is if you're dead set on your ceremony being outside, is a thousand dollars worth the peace of mind?
    We are contemplating on whether or not to purchase an indoor permit for the day in case it rains and we can't do our pictures outside around the distilary. 😳
  • C
    Frequent user November 2017 Ontario
    Chris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is your wedding you can have whatever colour you like no matter the season.

I would go with a dark purple as the main colour and then you can accent it by lilac or lavender , light purple. The girls can wear a sash/belt in a lighter colour.

There are lots of options. Do what you want.

My advice just make sure your girls are physically with you in case they go rogue mine went without me and bought the colours they wanted, teal green vs. turquoise blue and told me after the fact it was final sale so it was a challenge trying to fix it.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those colours will be perfect! We're not having a bridal party so we didn't really have a strong colour theme - just keeping it simple with all ivory flowers. But i really think the space is so beautiful you can't go wrong. Wasn't sure how to message you privately on here, so sorry for the long reply! As for tents, Archeo only allows one company to come in and do the tent but it's $3500 and even if it doesn't rain and you don't need it, you lose the $1000 deposit. We really wanted to have the outdoor space but it's a pretty pricey option so we're debating. Good luck with all of your planning and always here to chat if anything comes up!
  • Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay! Congratulations!!

Thanks! I think the venue will lend itself to a variety of colours as well. We are going with eggplant, blush and accents of silver. The flowers will also have some white and hints of green.

And definitely! Feel free to message me any time. Smiley smile

We haven't thought about going with a tent. From what I've seen in the past, if it rains, they just move the ceremony indoors. Not as nice, but it's still pretty.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could do a burgundy/wine colours with blush accents to add in the spring colour. My sister in law got married in May last year and had blush as their main colour with burgundy/cranberry accents, and they went well together. You could also have silver as an accent and have the three colours!

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm getting married at Archeo too, just a month after you. Smiley smile I say go with whatever colours you like - the venue will suit absolutely anything! We should chat - I have so many questions about the venue, like did you order a tent for the outside, etc!
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nice choice on colours!

• Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say go for the dark colours! Just lighten them with accents like blush and different greenery!

• Daniela
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also getting married in May with a Rustic Country theme... My colours are royal blue and sage green.

It's your day so choose whatever colour you want!!! You don't have to have pastels for a Spring wedding...I'm not!!! I'm going with my favourite colours!

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Let us know when you've decided. I'm sure we're all anxious to find out!

• Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the feedback Sonja! Smiley smile
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Blush, plum, and silver go so nicely together. You could make green your accent colour. Lovely for a May wedding.

• Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh thanks so much Julie. We actually have an appointment at David's Bridal on Monday to look at dresses for my maid of honour! Perfect timing!! Lol Smiley smile
  • J
    Newbie June 2018 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to David's Bridal and they have a great colour called Raspberry, the also have Sangria. Both colours are a brighter form of the dark wine colours I was attracted to. I am getting married in June of next year and was set on the Raspberry until I saw one of my bridesmaids in Wisteria which is sort of a dark Lavender. Your best bet is to see what looks good on your bridesmaids. Hope this helps!

• Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is true-I guess I'm lucky to have so many options. Lol Smiley smile
  • Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the advice! We have decided to go with eggplant and blush...we'll also likely add silver but haven't completely ruled out green either. Smiley smile
  • Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I showed my fh the pictures and I'm pretty sure these are the colours we are going with! We have a florist appointment tomorrow. Smiley smile
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Eggplant, blush and silver would work very well still darker colours but looks more summery :-)
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Eggplant, blush and a forest or warm green could work really well together, and have a good springy feel to them. Warm green also really ties in brickwork and other warmer tones.

• Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love what Lynnie suggested - absolutely beautiful! I also love peonies - and sometimes wish we planned a springtime wedding for all the nice flowers it brings!! Smiley winking

• Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome! The distillery district is beautiful!!

And thanks, I will check it out! Smiley smile

• Lynz
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Lynz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love the blush and plum Lynnie suggested. Also love your venue!!!!...I am getting married in the distillety district as well so i am a tad biased....but i think the rich colours would look great with the vibe that Archeo gives. Or even your wine colour with greenery and white would look greatt!! If you havent made up your mind up yet Pintrest for distillery district and you will find lots of Archeo inspiration.
  • Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're right! I've decided to go with what we like as opposed to what is typical for the seasons. Thank you! Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't follow the idea that certain colours go with certain seasons at weddings. You should pick whatever colours you like regardless of the season in which your wedding takes place. I really like the palettes that Lynnie picked out! Good luck!

• Katie
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions Lynnie!! I never really considered green but it looks great with the purple!

I see a lot of men in gray suits with those colour schemes. Do you think purple and lavender will still work if my fh will only wear black?

I was also going to try in squeeze a hint of silver in as an accent because i fell in love with a pair of silver shoes.

p.s. I can get lost for hours on Pinterest too! lol

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Katie! I love the idea of using a dark bold purple with lighter lavender or blush accents!! You could also do dark purple with white and green accents, or using grays and silvers in your color palette, or a berry and blush combo.

I could get lost on pinterest forever looking a wedding color palettes Smiley shame

Colour Palette - Berry and BlushColour Palette - Berry and BlushColour Palette - Purple, Gray, SilverColour Palette - Purple, Gray, SilverColour Palette - Purple, White, and GreenColour Palette - Purple, White, and Green

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics