Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Featured September 2022 Alberta

Help! Trying to figure out what to do for speeches

Derek, on September 3, 2022 at 01:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 7
Our wedding is just over 3 weeks away. We had an original plan to have speeches from family members of both sides welcoming the bride & groom to their respective families, but that plan has fallen through as there is no one on my (groom's) side of the family comfortable enough to make that speech. We are looking for alternative ways to do speeches but we do not want a large number of them and again are faced with people who are not comfortable with that. Of course we don't want to force anyone to. We are looking at a joint bride/groom speech and just leaving it at that. Anyone else have some ideas?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Smith, on November 13, 2022 at 06:23
  • D
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the input everybody! A lot.of you have wisely pointed out the inherent risks in having an open mic and the possibility of people making inappropriate statements/jokes with it, especially after too much alcohol. We have decided just to have a single joint speech from both my new wife & myself, thanking the guests for being a part of our special day and to have fun.
  • Rachay
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Rachay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband and I did a joint speech and then allowed anyone else to speak if they so pleased. As Hank said, this can invite inappropriate speeches so do proceed with caution, it worked at for us, with my grandfather and MOH leaving me in tears. Ultimately you know you're guests and can determine if thay decision would be a good one.
  • D
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My guess is, right now, we will probably limit the speeches to a joint speech from both of us. We don't want to force anyone into something they're uncomfortable with. But at the same time we're wanting to keep things moving along.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, speeches are overrated. Guests would much rather see no speeches than people who aren't comfortable with them feeling obligated to do one. Use the extra time for fun things like dancing, games, and taking pictures.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would caution against that. It worked out for you but in some bad case scenarios, an open invite from the MC could lead to a bunch of randoms who want to go up and say something inappropriate.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If people don't feel comfortable doing speeches they don't have to. Before the bride and groom do the speech your Mc could ask if anyone else that would like to say a few words. That's what we did and we got 2 close friends of my husband's come up and say a few words. Which was very nice of them to do
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have the mic open for anyone to say a fee words of they are comfortable coming up. That way no one feels the pressure or guilt to speak as asked.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics