Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tara
Newbie April 2021 Ontario

Help plz

Tara, on February 12, 2020 at 19:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 17
Hey im supper excited to be getting married to my soulmate but where do i begin i dont even k ow where to start like i have a year and 2 months to plan and its still overwhelming plz help tia

17 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on February 18, 2020 at 16:52
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Make a rough guest list then email venues and ceremony locations and go see them all and book one!

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hy Tara..I think 1 year and 2 month is perfect time to start planning! But you could start by planning how much could it cost, so you would know how much $$$ You would need for your wedding! The most important things in my opinion is. Where you want your wedding and how many people will be in your wedding!

After catering, ceremony, reception, decoration, photographer, videographer, dj, and maybe evening show or activity!

Take it easy, as you would plan some party! Try to make it a fun project. I am managing all my wedding alone. But wedding will be very small...around 25-30 people max. But sill I need to put all things together. So I will have day of coordinators 2 young girls, who are students, and they have online wedding company, to help on the day of wedding! So they are very affordable. I suggest to meet with all your vendors or people in person, and always meet at least 2 different places, before choosing! Not always more expensive is better! For me a lot of DJ and Photographers are overpriced! Look, where you can save...I am saving on flowers, I will not have real flowers. I will have beautiful silk flowers. I am renting 85% of my decorations from nice place. And they will make my wedding ceremony arch, so I dont have problem with all that! I used vistaprint for invitations and dinner menu! I even use Alsiexpress for few small things. I will be honest..I did not spend much time of organizing my wedding. When you know what you want and dont want, and also when you know about how much you are ready to pay..it helps to make decisions much easier.

• Elizabeth
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats Tara! I’d recommend starting with the bigger ticket items like venue/catering/photographer/wedding dress etc that way you’ll have more time for the tinier things that sometimes get over looked!
  • Tara
    Tara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks i have venue all planed its going to all take place at our family hunting camp so no coast there but omg
  • Tara
    Tara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks alot i def will look in to her for sure
  • Lee-Andréa
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Lee-Andréa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on your engagement!

I would recommend watching Jamie Wolfer's videos on Youtube, she has A LOT of content depending on what you're looking for. Basics would definitely be budget, and start looking into venues as they tend to book up quickly! especially if you have a specific date in mind, and then of course your dress, as alterations can take a while.

Good luck! Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on your engagement! I have to say wedding wire was a big help with articles and all the vendors. When we started to plan we actually started with venue. I knew it was going to be the most money that we were going to spend on it. Depending on what you are looking for. Once we knew our venue we were better off making the rest of the budget. Good luck with the planning and remember to have fun Smiley smile

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would start with a budget number. How much money can you comfortably put towards and part with for your event? This number will more of less drive the majority of your decision making.

Once you have a budget figure, set half of that for your reception. This number will help you figure out venue, guest count, type of food, etc. Adjust accordingly based on your needs. For ex. savings from not using a hall can boost food budget if you use a restaurant. Or if you need to invite more people but can't afford additional funds, consider lower cost food options like hors d'oeuvres and cocktails.

Then you can use your other 50% and prioritize your event needs. Again, adjust accordingly. If you don't care for amazing photography, then you can hire someone more green with lower costs while putting what you save towards something you absolutely must have like a DJ, entertainment, or decor.

Once you have this mapped out, start venue shopping and look for spaces that can meet your needs. Things to consider are venue size, how furnished it is, minimum headcount vs minimum spend etc.

Good luck!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First off Congrats!

Planning process has lots to do and can be done one at a time with the help of WW Checklist. This list will guide you through the months and what needs to be done, then marked off knowing its completed. Build your vendor team one by one and then work on the small item list to know what your décor and style is to work towards.

Start by booking your venue knowing your guest list count to get an idea of how much you want to set your budget.

Coming to the topic of budget, WW Budget is also a great tool to use to set all your budgets and payments to see your actual and estimated costs. It helped me a lot rather than having to do it manually by hand.

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got engaged in May 2019 and we are getting married on August 15th. I found that figuring out a budget was a good place to start, but then my fiance and I sat down and decided what was most important to us vendor wise. For me it was the photography but for him it was the DJ because he is a music lover. So we made sure that we researched those vendors and booked them first to ensure that we got the ones we really wanted. Vendors book up fast, especially for spring/summer weddings. For example, my #1 choice for photographer was booked two years in advance, that being said we found a really good photographer and she's really personable which is even better. So overall, not upset Smiley smile

• Desiree
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Figure out budget and your guest list count and after start searching out venues then everything else kinda slowly comes together
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the ww community!

It's a lot at first - but it gets easier/better!!!

When I got engaged we started with picking the year, season, and budget. After that we went venue shopping. I would start there and see if you can get an all-in-one place or if it would be better to go somewhere that you bring outside catering in.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sit down and figure out roughly how many people you want to invite and how much you have to spend.

I also found it really helpful to talk about what each of us needed on our wedding day and what we could live without. We agreed that a photographer was important but that we didn't need to do a sit down meal. From there we started looking at the important vendors (venue and photographer) with the size of our wedding and our budget in mind.
  • Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Use your friends who have gone through wedding planning before like bride or bridesmaid. This app has been a Godsend and the feedback from the groups has been really good (thx friends!)

Follow the checklist and breathe. The first thing I did was look at how many we wanted to invite, set a date and confirm a venue. The rest goes from there with the check list they provide you on the site. Good luck! And congrats!
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found it helpful to do a mock guest list to start off so you know how many people approximately you’ll be inviting and then make a budget. From there start researching venues that fit your occupancy and budget requirements.
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi!

I think it's normal to feel a bit overwhelmed at first. You still have time!

I don't know how much you have planned if anything at all. Personally I think you should begin with your budget & list of people you want to invite if you haven't done so; but that is just my opinion. Once you know how much you are willing/able to spend you can pick venue or even splurge on a planner, and then everything else is easier to book once your venue is booked. Just do your research on vendors and look for reviews.

I watched a lot of youtube videos when I started planning and found them helpful! Breathe! this is so much fun Smiley smile enjoy and congrats!

• S
    Frequent user February 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What have you done?

Have you ever organized a large party before??

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics