Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Peggy
Super May 2019 Alberta

Help me feel better re bridesmaid dresses

Peggy, on November 21, 2018 at 13:43 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 13

Well - I finally got the last of my girls to order her dress from Davids Bridal last week. And now I hear DB has filed for Chapter 11. I know they said it's business as usual but my anxiety is on high!

So help me feel better, and distract me from the anxiety of the DB crap - this is what my girls decided on. My only 'rules' were floor length and no satin.

BridesmaidsHelp me feel better re bridesmaid dresses 1

My sister is my MoH and didn't feel comfortable in the same dress the other girls picked (she's a heavier girl with no real waistline - my other plus sized BM has curves so liked the same dress as the two skinny girls!) - so she and I went back and picked a different dress that works next to the others.

MoH DressHelp me feel better re bridesmaid dresses 2

Has similar lines - cross over bust, straps, long skirt.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on November 27, 2018 at 20:51
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Both gorgeous! That colour is STUNNING.
    I have my fingers crossed for you!! We JUST picked ours up and then I saw that they filed...and breathed a huge sigh of relief. 🤞🤞🤞🤞
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the dresses, especially the colour! I'm starting to look at options for my girls, as long as they are all similar styles, (i.e. all floorlengh, similar neckline) and in one of the two possible colours (teal or purple), I'm happy.

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Peggy,

i am in a very similar position to you. I have 5 bridesmaids and their dresses are all from DB. 3 of the BM ordered their dresses before the news of the chapter 11 bankruptcy. I wasn’t sure what to do about the remaining dresses, do I order and hope the dress comes?

What I did was call my cc company to confirm I have protection if DB went under and I didn’t receive my dress, I would be covered. Turns out I am covered on my cc so I decided to order the 4th BM dress BUT first, I called DB store near me and spoke to the store manager and the operations manager.

I explained my concern and uncertainty. They reassured me business will continue as usual and orders will not be affected. I asked they put a rush on the orders for a quick delivery. The manager called the distribution Center and was able to give me an anticipated date of delivery with the rush. This put my mind at ease. The dresses will be in a lot sooner than I was initially told.

I see you’ve ordered the Vera Wang tulle bow dress - 2 of my BM ordered this style of dress too but in a different colour. To put your mind at ease, I would call & speak to the store manager where the orders were placed. Explain why you’re worried and ask if the dresses can be rushed. In my case, they were able to call the distribution centre, put a rush on the orders, and give me a estimated date of arrival.

I’d also call your cc company (or tell whoever paid for the dresses on their cards to call their cc company) to confirm you have coverage if the worst case scenario occurs and you don’t receive the dresses.

I did these things and I feel less stressed. Also, one thing to keep in mind, chapter 11 bankruptcy is different than chapter 7 (Alfred Angelo) and allows the debtor to reach an agreement with the investors to pay back the debt slowly over time while keeping the company doors open.

In contrast, Alfred Angelo, another bridal company went under in 2017 after filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy and in turn, all brides lost their money and never received their dresses. By law, chapter 7 bankruptcy requires all assets to be liquidated. Thankfully this is not the case with DB so that’s a relief!

best of luck!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right? I have disliked every bridesmaid dress I've ever been made to wear. This way, if they end up not liking it, it's not my fault! Haha.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

These are beautiful! I love the style, and I love that you let them pick. I never enjoyed being told exactly what to wear, so I've told my MOH the same thing - as long as it's some shade of purple (or silver), run wild.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm glad it worked out for you! Yeah, once I told my girls to pick their own styles, they got very defensive about anyone having the same dress.... lol. Even though my sister/MOH picked first and my other 2 BMs didn't want that dress anyways.

I think that works for the best, I always pictured my MOH standing out somehow... My MOHs is the one with the sparkly top, so it's just a little bit "extra". My girls had a narrower size range (0, 4 and 10), but the girl who ordered the smallest size has apparently LOST WEIGHT and I'm kind of freaking out (and kind of want to punch her for managing to be smaller than a size 0, not gonna lie, haha)

My MOH (sz 10) has gained weight, so it's big sister time to crack the whip and make her go to the gym with me Smiley laugh

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Gorgeous! They're going to look amazing. My MOH wore a different colour than my other bridesmaids and they loved it.

Also, keep in mind that it's the american David's Bridal that filed for bankruptcy, not the Canadian branch, and also that they filed for the type of bankruptcy that lets them stay open and operating, just restructure their debts. So in all likelihood, this shouldn't affect you AT ALL.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Tori - Yeah, that's why I'm just trying to distract myself with happy talk about the dresses!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They look great! Don't worry too much about it, it's not like there is anything you can really do at this point - and I know you aren't the only one worried about it based on all the discussions posted recently Smiley atonished

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah - mostly trying to distract myself now and be patient - after all, there's not a bloody thing I can do about it!

And thank you - I loooove the colour, too. That's my favourite shade of blue ever since I was a little girl!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lovely! And such a pretty deep colour!

Yeah, when I was considering it at the beginning, and my girls kept asking "So what dress have you picked for us?" and I was looking at the fact that I had two tiny girls (one size 2, one size 6) and two plus sized girls (one size 22, one size 26) from different ends of the spectrum, I said "Screw it - you can each pick your own dress within these guidelines."

I expected them each to pick a completely different dress...but two of them settled on the one style (the size 6 and size 26), and my MoH (the size 22) on the second style. Once that happened, I gave the other girl a choice of either of those two dresses. I felt they either needed to ALL be different, or only have the MoH be different. She ended up picking the same as the other BM.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love these dresses! What a pretty blue!

Also, I know they say business as usual, but your dresses are in stock in a warehouse somewhere, they now have your money, I feel strongly that they will get you those dresses... It's not like putting in an order to a designer or something where they won't make them. I know we ordered ours in August and 2 of the 3 dresses were the "last of that colour/size" in any warehouse across North America... eep! So the dresses already exist, they just need to get them to you. Also, they gave me a 3-4 month window, and all 3 dresses came in less than 6 weeks.

I have 3 different dresses for 3 girls. Each has somewhat different fabrics too. Just the same length and colour. Personally, once I got over my neurotic "must match!" fixation, I realized my girls are all different, and each dress is going to make them feel good, which will look so much better in pictures! AHH! So excited to see them all done up! Coming up quick!

BridesmaidsHelp me feel better re bridesmaid dresses 3

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Try not to worry!! All of my girls bough DB too!! They filed for chapter 11 protection! So it's basically just them saying hey we got some debt and we are working on it! So its protection against, not filing for! Also as the people in the store and articles say, mainly in the US! David's Bridal is opening a new store in Vaughan in December!
    Aside from that!! The colour of these dresses is amaaaaazing!!!! So bright and colorful!! Omg I cannot wait to see photos from your day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics