Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jillian
Frequent user September 2022 Ontario

Help! Holding "x" amount of spots for family members

Jillian, on May 31, 2018 at 16:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9

Hi there, I need advice. We are from Saskatchewan and having our wedding in Ontario. I have a large family, almost 100 people (aunts/uncles/cousins/cousins kids). I am only estimating maybe 20 people will be coming. Instead of inviting everyone individually, has anyone held "x" amount of spots for a family.

Ex: My aunt/Uncle have 3 kids, they all have 3 kids each as well. I want to put something address to my aunt/uncle like "we have held 6 spots for your family, please let us know the 6 family members attending etc"

Anyone done this before? Or have advice on how to properly word this!

Our guest list is up to 200 counting my family, so to figure out numbers before hand is hard.

Thanks!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Gabbie, on June 8, 2018 at 10:37
  • Gabbie
    Frequent user June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the others, adults should have their own invitations. You can include the amount of spots you are holding for them in the RSVP card.

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never heard of invitations being done this way. It seems almost to invite drama by making the guests decide who makes the cut in their own family. How would that even work? Dear Aunt and Uncle, pick your 4 favourite children and grandchildren to come to my wedding?

People should be invited by name and if they are adults, they should not be included on their parents invitations, they should get their own.

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was essentially one invitation per guest/couple/family, so there's no wording per se- especially as we know the number per household if it's a family. we've only had some ask if they can bring their kids just for clarification (we said yes to that).
  • Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do you remember how you worded it on the invite? Or did you mention it on save the dates at all?
    Did you find people understood or were there any suprises?
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes. that's how we got our approximate guest list count.
  • Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that what i will be doing, just wanted to know how other people worded it or advice with how it turned out Smiley smile pro's & con's
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wrote everyone's name on the invitation who I was inviting, so if my aunt, uncle and their children were invited, I wrote it on the envelope (and wrote it on the inside of the invite as well), as they were RSVPing to a website. This didn't seem to cause any issues as to who wasn't being invited. For those who were allowed a date, I wrote "Aunt and Guest". If you are adding RSVP cards instead of a website, I do suggest what Bianca said and write in how many spots are being held for them so you can make sure there are no surprises.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this post! Definitely let them know how many spots are reserved before hand.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely recommend putting the "we have reserved x spots for your family" and have them fill in "# of guests coming __". That way you won't have any surprises on your day of.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics