Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Frequent user July 2019 Ontario

Help!!! ("bridesman" attire)

Rachel, on April 25, 2019 at 13:30 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 9
Sorry for this very long post...but it's been a long saga so there's lots to tell!

In my bridal party I have chosen my close friend Joe to stand up on my side, along with my sister and 2 closest girlfriends. The ladies purchased their dresses at David's Bridal (in "ice blue" - other wedding colours being burlap and little pops of red as our wedding is in a red barn). Prior to purchasing the dresses I explained that there is also a male in the bridal party and that I would need to find a shirt to match the dresses, as the men are not wearing ties and the sales associate said "no problem, Moore's has anything you could want to match him to the rest of the Bridesmaids. So off to Moore's I went. They were however no help. I explained to the associate that I was looking for a shirt for my bridesman. The associate ROLLED HER EYES at me and muttered "I don't understand why you ladies can't just have a traditional wedding party". She then showed me vests and ties that match the dresses. I explained I need a shirt, not a vest or tie. The men are wearing kahki pants, neither a suit vest or tie will work with that and her response was "well, you will never find a shirt to match" and then explained that they would happily make a custom shirt for the bridesman, and that it starts at $500!! But the only fabric they had with the ice blue in it was mostly pink. She then said the other option would be to buy 2 Bridesmaids dresses and make a shirt out of them... however, the dresses are chiffon haha so that won't work.
I have looked high and low for a shirt that would coordinate but have had no luck.
Our wedding is outdoors, July 6. The groomsmen will be wearing kahki pants, white poplin shirts and suspenders. We would really like my bridesman to wear the same kahki pants, as if he wears something different, he will be the one to stand out, and he shouldn't be...my FH should be the one to stand out (after 10 years of my family asking when I was going to marry Joe, we feel it's very important that he doesnt stand out hahaha I don't want to confuse my family, as I am not marrying Joe haha)
My original plan was that he would wear a blue shirt instead of a white shirt...but that his attire would otherwise be the same as the rest of the men. My FH will be wearing a vintage Brown vest so he looks a bit more formal for the ceremony and photos.
I'm nervous if the shirt colour is too different from the Bridesmaids dresses, he will look very out of place in photos.
I'm out of ideas, and only have 2 1/2 months to go.

HELP!!!!!! did anyone else out there have a bridesman that can offer some advice???

9 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on May 2, 2019 at 19:39
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Try the Tie Bar for suspenders! You could also get your groomsman blue socks too!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also like the idea of ice blue suspenders!

I see you're in London too! Try Collin's Formalwear in London Smiley winking , the Moore's store there is notorious for customer service. We're getting FH's suits and groomsmen/bestwoman suits through them.

• M
    Curious January 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you tried online?

https://www.menswearhouse.com/p/calvin-klein-ice-blue-slim-fit-dress-shirt-5K155K1617

• M
    Beginner June 2019 Quebec
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not in exactly the same situation as you but I can explain my story and maybe it’ll help?

We have ave groomsmaids. Everyone on my FH’s side is a woman. I have bridesmaids on my side - all women as well. I didn’t want everyone in the same dress cause I thought that would be boring. That being said, I wasn’t sure we could find dresses to match the exact colour of my FH’s suit and for sure they’d be different materials so I was really worried about everyone ordering their dresses/suit and how it would all look together. The groomsmaids ordered grey dresses, bridesmaids mint dresses and FH charcoal suit - not the same colour at all as the dresses. I waited for all the different items to come in and if I can be honest ... THEY LOOK AMAZING! Everything looks so good together ! No it’s not a perfect match, but it’s really fricken cute!
    At the end of the day you’ll just be happy that your friend Joe was up there with you. So if you can’t get exactly what you want, although disappointing, try not to let it get you down. Sometimes it’s okay to “settle” for something a bit different. And since no one else even has a blue shirt to compare to then I think any shade of blue will compliment your girls nicely (and that’s my graphic designer opinion 😉)
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Suspenders was going to be my suggestion. I see a couple of ladies had the same idea. If not, I like the boutonniere wrap idea too. I hope you get it all figured out. It sounds like it's going to be a great, relaxed, fun wedding!

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea I'm definitely going to look into the ice blue suspenders. I didnt even consider that before this, as I had it in my head that we were looking for dark brown suspenders to match my FH's vest...but there's no reason the bridesman can't wear blue suspenders!! I found a couple of etsy shops that make coordinating accessories in the david's bridal colours, so I'm going to see if I can find suspenders I like in the ice blue!

I also think that I'm going to tie an ice blue ribbon to his boutonniere, as I made them, so I can easily add to them!

Thanks for your help ladies!! I knew coming here for advice was the best option, I was too stuck in my own head!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Tori that ice blue suspenders would work, otherwise maybe just a plain white shirt and the same pants as the rest of the guys?

Have you looked online for anything?

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn't think about talking to the sales associate. I should. I haven't been happy with them through the entire process. Such an awful store.

I talked to my FH and he really doesn't want the groomsmen to wear ties. Our wedding is vintage style and button ups with suspenders and brown kahki pants is more true to the style. I agree that blue ties would look funny with their pants/shirt.
    They're also wearing converse. The groomsmen will be in red and the bridesman will wear blue, but they're dark blue and not the same as the bridesmaids.
    I can definitely look into blue suspenders though! I didn't even think of that!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Options that I would try:

1. Go back to David's Bridal and speak with the same person and ask them why they lied/ ask them if they can at least get a discount on a custom shirt as it was their mistake in telling you.

2. What about looking for suspenders that are an ice blue?

3. Don't suppose the GM are wearing ties/bow ties and that they would have one in ice blue?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics