Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elizabeth
Newbie May 2019 Manitoba

Help

Elizabeth, on March 8, 2018 at 11:47 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Never been to a wedding and now getting married. Do you charge your guests to attend your wedding /social . If so how much ? Thanks in advance

9 Comments

Latest activity by Marie-Claire, on March 9, 2018 at 11:57
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Contrary to the other brides here, I've been to several weddings where the guests had to pay something (and sometimes it was quite expensive), but I think it's very cultural. I'm in Quebec, and the wedding traditions are somewhat different.

Personally, we decided to pay the meal and at least one drink for everyone, and there'll be a paying bar if they want more. I know that my fiancé's family would be offended if we had made them pay to come, so it was never a question for us (especially since most of our guests will have to pay for accomodation).

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You definitely do not charge your guests to attend your wedding, you are the host therefore all costs are on you and your family if they decide to help out. Guest will brings gifts but that is it. And as for socials the only one you charge for is a Stag and Doe, but showers, bachelor/bachelorette, engagement and any other party it is a hosted event so the host pays not the guests.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agree with this.

You're choosing to host a wedding, therefore you should be prepared to pay for it. Remember, you will receive monetary gifts if you don’t register (and even if you do), so that will help alleviate the cost of the wedding.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never been charged myself and we don't intend to do so. I think the wedding gift is enough of a "charge" if you will.

You could always do a "honey fund" and use the money from their to help pay off the wedding if you wanted to.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's a lot of options of what you can do. I have not heard of people charging guests to attend the wedding, but there things you can do to help alleviate some of the cost:

- Have an offseason wedding (not summer months basically) as venues will charge less

- Research more inexpensive venues/vendors who you still like and do a lot of stuff DIY

- I've seen some people do PotLuck weddings, so instead of a gift, guests will bring a dish of food

- You could do a morning/afternoon wedding as brunch's and breakfasts are cheaper

- Friday/Sunday weddings can have a discounted price

- Cash Bars will ensure you don't have to pay alcohol costs.

There's many other ideas, but that's a good start.

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some people do charge. Depends on the kind of wedding you are having. For example, my fiancé's brother is getting married at a restaurant and is charging guest to pay for their own food. Is this type of wedding for us? No! But again, depends on what you are doing. We have opted to pay for everything.

Traditionally, guest will guesstimate how much a plate may have cost and put it in a card. For example if it's at a fancier banquet hall, I may put 100 each for myself and fiance as it may have cost upwards of 120-130 per person for the couple.

Nowadays people will put "monetary gifts preferred" right on the invitation and most guest should know what that means. So although you are paying, you can expect to get back some of the money as gifts. Hope this helps!
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you ever charge guests, that's why weddings are expensive. You're hosting the celebration at whatever price range suits you and then you invite and cater your guests.

• Breanne
    Frequent user September 2019 Alberta
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to a number of weddings and never once have I been charged to do so. For my wedding next year, we are not charging our guests. The only thing our guests will have to pay for is their alcohol if they choose to drink, and even then it’s a toonie bar option. We will be absorbing all other costs for food, non-alcoholic beverages, entertainment, etc. Hope this helps!
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never heard of being charged to attend a wedding.

A wedding is the event you are hosting, and therefore paying.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics