Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner July 2022 Nova Scotia

Having wedding in home town

James, on July 15, 2020 at 21:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 4
Hello!

My fiancé and I are debating whether to get married near where we live in eastern Ontario, or in the maritimes where I’m from. Curious if anyone has experience planning a hometown wedding - it’s not exactly a destination wedding, but it also sort of is.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on July 16, 2020 at 21:55
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would check with a few friends and family and see how they feel about traveling for a wedding, and if people aren't for it (especially post covid unfortunately) I would think about having 2 weddings. Get legally married in your province for ease of paperwork and have a symbolic ceremony and reception in the maritimes. There's a chance that some covid restrictions could still be in place, and in case you haven't noticed we maritimers are quite selective about those entering our bubble these days! (Seriously PEI is turning people back for lack of paperwork, and there are 5km long lines to get into NB from NS, and license plate shaming is hugeee) So check travel restrictions and regulations for the province you're heading to or provinces you need to drive through.

If people are game to travel I would make sure you have a few people on the ground in the maritimes to help. They might need to meet with vendors, pick up/store wedding items like clothing or decor, and can help find vendors that aren't easily accessible online (for example a local decor rental spot is was easier in person as their website isn't the most high tech or up-to-date).

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can have both home towns for celebrations.

You wish to get married in eastern Ontario to have all the arrangements made accordingly. The wedding can take place and have your reception too. For those that don't make it from the Maritimes, have a small reception there too so you can see your family as well and celebrate with close ones too. It doesn't have to be right away after your wedding, it can be a month or two to arrange the celebration with the family help to have everything done so you don't have to fly out often.

I have seen this happen as families get married out of the country and then come back to have locals come out to celebrate their marriage a few months time in town.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey James, you'd have to weigh the pros and cons. Here's a few to consider:

Is your partner also from the Maritimes? If so, and all of your families are out there, then it may make sense because there's less travelling overall. But if it's only your side that's out there, you and your fiancee will have to look at how convenient it is for either side and what makes sense overall.

One major advantage to Ontario is the fact that you can physically visit all the potential venues and vendors to personally scope out the place. If you decide to host a wedding in the Maritimes, you would have to treat the planning process like a destination wedding or spend a lot of time running back and forth. Another is choice. As the province with the biggest population, we have more choices in venues, hotels for accommodations, and entertainment for guests if they're staying for a prolonged period.

That being said, summers in the Maritimes are much more milder, which can be way more comfortable when it comes to outdoor ceremonies and receptions if that's something you want.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am!! We live in Edmonton Alberta but my fiance and I are getting married in my home town of Kelowna BC.

I've always wanted to get married back home and when I brought the idea up to my fiance he was totally on board! Plus the views and the weather back home are amazing!

I would say go for it if you really wanna get married back home! You only get married once!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics