Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Have you picked a date “just in case”?

Sarah, on March 23, 2020 at 20:09 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 29
Our wedding is at the end of August, and obviously much can change from now until then!
However I have it in my head that we may need a backup date and for now I am thinking April. I won’t want to wait long after the summer but need a month/season that’s appropriate for our very “summery” colours (green, white, peach). So basically we’d skip to the next most appropriate month lol. I’ve already been in touch with our venue who is very accommodating and can change our date no problem if need be.

Anyone else thinking of backup plans?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on April 9, 2020 at 12:48
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We dont have a backup plan.... im hoping by june this will all be done with.... but my the end of may we will have to decide.

• Cassie
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s exactly how my venue handled it to. I started feeling nervous we may lose out on the remaining dates so we postponed to September 6. We didn’t get a discount because it’s now on a Sunday and they wouldn’t really accommodate in any way. Oh well. Like you said, I sympathize with them as well.
  • K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue is not cancelling- they’re just “rescheduling”, which is kind of garbage because we paid premium June Saturday prices to potentially move our date to a Friday in the Winter. They also won’t do a soft hold- we either wait it out or reschedule now. I’m not terrribly impressed at the moment- but I sympathize with them too.... so frustrating. We really want to wait- but my gut is now telling me to jump on one of the only two available dates left for 2020. Luckily my photographer and reverend are both available. We will decide in the next 3-4 weeks if we move our June 20 date to October 30. 😷
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I haven't been able to bring myself to do any planning the last month. I still work full time and find trying to do school work with the kids just doesn't leave me any time for anything really. I hope that things can return to normal fairly soon. Every weekend that goes by I find myself thinking about a couple that may not be able to have their day...yet any way. Thank goodness we can always try again. Thinking positive thoughts for all our couples who have weddings coming up.
  • S
    Newbie March 2021 Ontario
    Sheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My wedding is March 2021 and I am thinking the same thing. We will be engaged for 2 years so I am OK if I have to wait a little longer as long as I don't have to pay extra! Have you been continuing with your wedding planning? My heart goes out to all the 2020 brides! Whether you have built up the courage to postpone your date after years of planning, or decided on a new creative way to get married during this time.. you all are amazing, strong, and positive people and I admire you all!

• Daniella
    Newbie April 2020 Hawaii
    Daniella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are scrambling to plan a whole new event as ours got cancelled outright. We are looking to re-book something in August, our original plan was next Friday. We figure, based on the stats that August will be safe for us to try again.

• Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think all of us are starting to feel our own anxiety getting higher the more time goes on and seeing the increase in Covid cases. All we can do is try our best to weather out the storm by planning on, have a back up plan, or like a lot of us are doing, thinking of keeping our date and having a celebration later if it comes down to it. Who knows what the future may hold and we need to remember that we have an amazing partner that we are with paperwork or not!

• A-W
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    A-W ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a backup plan in the works for May 22 2021. If we have to move the date from June 27th we figured we should change it so we are less likely to have to change it again if things go on for months and months. We are making the final decision at the end of April if thing aren't getting better.
  • Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're getting married in August, and if by then things are still the same, I'd hope to postpone for sometime in the fall. Winter doesn't work for his schedule as he works more in the winter with furnace installs and repairs so if fall doesn't work either we would be looking at spring or summer the following year.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is in October so we haven't discussed a back up date, but we have decided a date when we will need to address postponing. I figure until then I can't bother worrying about what I can't change.
  • D
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Daina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello ladies!,

These are certainly unsure times of when things will go back to normal, we were in the middle of sending out our invitations..for early august. We had 90 percent planned and made all deposits, I'm giving it until June before I start making phone calls but for now we decided to stop the process for now, I guess we still have a while to go but keeping our fingers crossed! And also praying for you ladies including my self that no matter what day our wedding will fall on.... it will be a beautiful day.
  • Brett
    Curious July 2020 Saskatchewan
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are still going to get married on July 25th no matter what. If need be we will postpone the reception til next summer. And have a one year anniversary party
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is in the middle of August. We haven't thought about cancelling/postponing anything as of yet. I'm optimistic that in the next couple of months when the weather starts to warm up, that things will start to get back to normal. So I wouldn't worry too much about it for now.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a long way to go. Not till next February though who knows at this point what will happen. If we have to we can work with our venue for a new date. We've waited this long what's a bit more time.... as long as I don't have to pay more for having my wedding "in season".
  • K
    Beginner August 2020 New Brunswick
    Karly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re in AB and supposed to be getting married Aug 8 in NB. If we do need to cancel, our plan/hope is for just us to legally get married here on Aug 8, have photos done (I already have my dress), and have a “reception” at some point in the future with our families.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its good that the venue did offer to allow the date change and have a back up plan given the circumstances given at the time. Your vendors will do the same to accommodate you as well since they don't want to lose you as a client. Making the changes on the paper is also a good idea with no penalty would be proof to show your contract is verified. One step ahead is smart to know your not waiting until the month before or the last minute to panic.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! The good thing is pretty much everything was set on before all this happened, now we just have to wait and see.
    Good luck with your day! I hope this clears up soon so we can all get back to our weddings.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yikes, I can't imagine going through this with out of province planning. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• A
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I hear you but that's really the only thing holding me to our current plans lol

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re doing the same thing if it’s not resolved in time for our late September wedding too. Especially adding the fact that we’re out of province, it doesn’t make waiting and rebooking sound too appealing for our needs.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I honestly wish we could go this route. We’ve invested too much with decor and stuff as I planned very early on. Eloping sounds great right now lol
  • A
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not til the end of September so we have some time still. We don't want to wait any longer though so if worst comes to worst, we'll cancel our venue and elope with just immediate family instead. In all honesty, I'm so done with all the guest list and financial stress at this point that that would make me so happy.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah... ours is Aug.8.... were waiting until June to see what happens... if not much changes we are considering same time next year but may have to be near the middle of Aug. as opposed to first week. 😢
  • Kevin
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Kevin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married Oct 24th so hoping everything is under control then. We do have a back up date of April 3rd though if things don't get turned around.

• Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If things go south, I think we may push our reception to late September or early October. I really do not want to push it all the way to next year. Either way, we’ll probably get our ceremony done for when we planned.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m guessing more often than not deposits will have to be forfeited unless another arrangement is reached. Vendors will be pushing for you to reschedule versus flat out cancel.
  • M
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Msss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, my fiancé and I are booked for the middle of August. We are having a tough time processing all of this. We've already spent thousands, hired all the *main vendors. At the end of the day, we have each other and we are both healthy - thank goodness - but it just sucks. I just wish we knew if the end was in sight - how long this is all going to last - because I'm worried about multiple postponements, not just one.

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Kelsie, I'm in the exact same position as you. Considering circumstances remain the same, do you think we would be able to get our deposit back from the venue? Or from our vendors in general? I havent even emailed them yet.

Just like you, I wanted a summer wedding and holding it off another year is too long for me. I'm going to keep the photographer for the ceremony though. I want to get married this June regardless even if it's just a small amount of people.
    (Keeping you ladies in my thoughts. Hoping for the best. We are in this together x.)
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If we can't get married on our date - we'll get civilly married as soon as we are able but we won't reschedule our reception. We wanted a summer wedding and putting it off another year isn't what we want to do.

Plus we're soon to be living an hour and a half away from either our church and reception venue, so it wouldn't make sense for us in terms of meeting vendors, etc.

Its really sad - but what can we do? We don't want to put our family, friends and guests in a situation where they may get sick.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics