Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carla
Newbie September 2019 Alberta

Hair Trial

Carla, on May 20, 2019 at 14:36 Posted in Beauty 0 15
I don’t live in the city I’m getting married in and traveling there with my schedule is going to be tight leading up to the wedding. My hair is simple, just curls and a braid going around. Is it necessary to do a trial? My hair stylist never mentioned it as a priority just told me it would take roughy and hour and 15 seeing as I don’t want an extensive updo.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Donna, on June 8, 2019 at 22:27
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting my Trail hair run on this Monday I can hardly wait my last fitting for my Wedding Dress is Tuesday. My hair is half up and half down, I think I be doing my own make up.

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you don't have time for a trial, I would just try and book the appointment early enough in the day JUST IN CASE you don't like it. Gives you time to make adjustments.

I didn't have a trial and my hair ended up beyond what I had imagined, in a good way!

Good luck!

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't see the point of a hair trial but then my hair stylist told me how little time she needed. I have fairly long hair and I didn't think she would be able to do mine in less then an hour and a half so I figured for peace of mind it was necessary. She was able to do it in 45mins and it looked perfect so I was so glad I did it.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do a trial for sure! I know it sounds simple.. however that's what I wanted.

My hairstylist has already treid a few braids on my hair when I go in for hair cuts..

and the braid on the one side of my head can't get as full as it needs to be.

It would just be a good idea to know for sure what you want, and to know that she has the same vision in her head, as whats in yours. Work out any kinks before the big day.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say try to do a trial.

I did mine on Friday, and I'm glad I did. I wasn't super happy with how it turned out so now I have to figure out specifically what I didn't like about it so she does it perfectly on the day.

It sounds like we're doing similar things. I did half up/half down with a braid, and some loose curls.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that a hair trial isn't the be all end all - as long as you provide pictures leading up they should be able to practice on others or a hair piece and be able to let you know if they are having any difficulties. Maybe you could ask if they have any pictures of people's braids that they have done before?

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds simple enough that you should be fine.. I would just try to collect some pictures to bring with you. I didn't bother with a hair trial. I have had the same hair dresser for like 15 years.. I totally trust her... I feel like hair is a lot easier to fix too.. I wouldn't mess around with make up.

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you can’t make a hair trial happen, don’t stress. It sounds like it’s a simple hairstyle for the wedding. The biggest recommendation I can give you is to bring photos. Lots of pictures of both hairstyles you love and want to replicate AND similar styles you dislike. Show your stylist and explain what you like and dislike about both.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am also not getting married where I live so I will not be doing a trial for hair or makeup. I trust that both my hair stylist and makeup artist know what they are doing. They both have inspiration photos and I'm pretty set on what I want. So it's definitely not necessary. It's usually just there for when people are unsure of what they want and want to try out a style or two.
  • Carla
    Newbie September 2019 Alberta
    Carla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is super helpful thank you! I’m not stressed at all about it turning out how I want it because it’s literally just curls.. I could do it myself honestly just want to be pampered on the big day! Smiley smile if I was doing something extravagant then obviously a trial would be preferred.
  • Amanda
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a hairstylist myself, I love receiving photos of the style prior to the day of. As I know timelines are tight now a days (in general) it gives the stylist time to ask questions/concerns about the style or your hair.. see if they offer an online video consultation. (We do at my salon it’s like FaceTime to see the person). If you truly feel you would be less stressed by having a trial then find time for that!
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you know the stylist and trust her then you could probably get away with not doing a trial. If you don't then it is kinda your choice if you are willing to risk going without the trial and having the possibility of it not looking the way you envisioned.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d only be worried if I didn’t know the stylist.

I think trials are important for stylists to see your hair is, maybe try different products to see what works. Also I feel like I’ve had some hairstyles in mind from Pinterest and then they just don’t flatter me. I think a trial is a good way to see what something will actually look like the day of.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Janaya. If your style is simple and you've seen direct examples of what you'd like in her portfolio, then it may not be necessary.

At the same time, it's important to keep in mind that the hairstyle may look different on you (which can be good or bad!)

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you've seen pictures of her work and she's a professional you don't absolutely need a trial, however if you haven't seen much of what she can do I would suggest having one, o asking to see pics of her work of similar stuff she's done Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics