Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HauntedHeartBrides
Curious October 2023 Manitoba

Hair Suggestions for Bald/scarred Bride

HauntedHeartBrides, on June 23, 2020 at 00:32 Posted in Beauty 0 13

My fiancé and I are getting married in 3 years, 3 months, 19 days (not that I'm counting down the days or anything 😉) and I have been planning everything down to the letter. The venue, our dresses, the catering- I even made my fiancé's veil for the wedding as a wedding gift. Needless to say, we have a specific image in mind for our wedding and everything has been going smoothly.

Unfortunately, last week I was diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a shooter marble in my right frontal lobe that requires surgery to remove. This will mean shaving half my head and receiving a very large scar that won't grow hair back after it heals. Now my hair already grows at a ridiculously slow rate (barely 2 inches a year), but depending on the biopsy results of the tumor, I may need Chemo Therapy to help prevent regrowth which means there's a high chance my hair will fall out.

Daes anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can keep my appearance that of a beautiful bride and not have people focusing on my lack of hair or watching me with pity rather than happiness as I walk down the aisle?

(P.S. Also, my oh-so supportive family have already made "Bride of Frankenstein" jokes since it's a "Halloween Party". It's an elegant Friday the 13th Wedding in October, not a Halloween party. Please don't make suggestions about costumes or adding fake scars along the rest of my exposed skin? Thanks.)

13 Comments

Latest activity by HauntedHeartBrides, on June 23, 2020 at 18:35
  • HauntedHeartBrides
    HauntedHeartBrides ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, Savannah. Appreciate the advice

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That definitely would not be funny! Definitely understandable, I believe they’re made for as little irritation as possible but definitely get your concerns with it especially if you have sensitive skin to begin with! A head scarf may be an option too?
  • HauntedHeartBrides
    HauntedHeartBrides ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks. We were thinking maybe a head scarf and a headpiece to go over it.

• HauntedHeartBrides
    HauntedHeartBrides ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gorgeous! Thanks, Kelcie- and here's hoping.

• HauntedHeartBrides
    HauntedHeartBrides ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the link! I'm getting a lot of wig suggestions but I'm worried I might have irritation to them (I tend to have sensitive skin) or someone at the wedding will yank it off to be "funny".

• HauntedHeartBrides
    HauntedHeartBrides ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Megan!

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a couple of friends that wear wigs and their hair always look amazing. Good luck with your surgery!

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not sure if a wig is an option you have considered, I believe some salons could guide you in the direction of finding a good quality one if that is an option or this link may be helpful! https://action.cancer.ca/en/living-with-cancer/how-we-can-help/wig-and-breast-prosthesis-service?region=on 😊. If not, perhaps a hair peice or veil that can be worn that would help cover it? Whichever option you choose I am sure it will be beautiful! Sending positive vibes your way and best of luck with your surgery and wedding 💕
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Amelia and Sarah have already pitched some great options. I did a quick Pinterest search and found this side veil which I think looks absolutely stunning, super bridal, and not at all pity-inducing:

Hair Suggestions for Bald/scarred Bride 1
    All the best with your surgery! 💕 and I sincerely hope your family shapes up!
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s really unfortunate 😢
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It might depend on how you feel about the scar once you have it. I've seen a number of cancer survivors who choose to wear theirs like a badge of honor, some even get tattoos alongside them.

Wigs are an option. There is an excellent chance that you'll run into someone during your treatment who knows a reliable source for wigs. You might want them for everyday use, but the salon may have some fancier ones to rent out. A local salon that sells wigs likely also rents them for theatre productions too.
    Head wraps are also an option. You could get a beautiful scarf in your wedding colors.
  • HauntedHeartBrides
    HauntedHeartBrides ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smiley heart A wig might work. Never worn one before but that might work. Knowing my family, though, I'm not sure if that'd be a safe option...

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you considered a birdcage veil that covers whatever you want to hide? I’m sorry that your family isn’t being supportive and this is definitely not something to poke fun at.Another option could be getting a custom wig if your budget allows it something that can make you feel amazing every day.Sending positive vibes your way for the upcoming surgery 💜

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics