Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2023 Ontario

Hair/makeup-- should i pay for my future sister-in-law?

Monica, on June 19, 2023 at 11:47 Posted in Beauty 1 10

I'm going to pay for my two bridesmaids to have their hair and makeup done for the wedding. My future sister-in-law has expressed interest in joining us for hair/makeup the morning of the wedding. Question is, should I offer to pay for her hair/makeup as well if I'm doing that for my two bridesmaids? My SIL is not in the wedding party but will be walking in the wedding procession.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Auda, on July 20, 2023 at 07:13
  • A
    Ontario
    Auda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes you would save money by not paying it. It wouldonly be fair to pay.

• Kelli
    Frequent user September 2024 Alberta
    Kelli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s 100% up to you. It’s a nice gesture but definitely not necessary, depends what your budget is and you opinion on the situation. Modern etiquette could suggest you pay for her but depends on your relationship with her.
  • Barbara
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have offer to pay for my wedding party and groomsman grandmother who wants her hair done also

• Jackie
    Devoted September 2023 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am buying gifts for people who are contributing their time and effort to the wedding; my bridesmaids, my MC, and my officiant (a friend). I don’t think she would expect you to pay but if you feel she has been a big help and want to expend a nice gesture that could be a good way.
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm I mean, I think it's a nice gesture but not necessarily the "right" thing to do. Agree with the others in the sense that if she wants to tag along cause it's easier to do with you and your bridesmaids I get that, but in no way have you given the impression you will be paying for her and I think if she is asking to come herself she should most definitely assume to pay. I however, probably just would pay to save having the conversation and I feel like it would be good for the relationship as a gesture but do what you feel you can live with and not feel bad about Smiley smile

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't pay for her since she is not part of the wedding party and just walking down the aisle.

If anyone wants to join, then I would have them pay themselves. You are only gifting the party for their hard work and support.

• Mila
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would feel inclined to pay for her as a thank you for setting up, but don’t think you’re by any means required to. I think it’s completely acceptable to not, especially since you didn’t ask her to join. If the situation makes you uncomfortable in any way, I think it’s reasonable letting sister in law know that you’d like to spend some time with your bridesmaids while getting ready. It is the morning of your wedding after all. Good luck!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally wouldn't pay for her if I was in your shoes. It's about you and your bridal party in the morning. If she wants to tag along great but she's not part of the wedding party you have no obligation to pay for her.
  • M
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't say we have a close relationship or anything like that. She takes very little interest in other people and makes everything about her. Even our rehearsal dinner which is taking place 5 days before the wedding she had to be GUILTED into coming to by my fiancé because she wanted to go to her friend's cottage instead. I just keep my mouth shut and be nice because it's my fiancé's sister. However, she is also helping to set up a display table at our wedding so that's nice of her. Anyway, in short... I'm not crazy about her but I do appreciate the fact that we will soon be sister-in-laws and are going to be connected for the rest of our lives. So I'm wondering if its the "right" thing to do to pay for her hair/makeup when I'll be paying for my two bridesmaids who happen to be my actual sisters! I'm torn.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ahhh this is tricky. I feel like I'd be inclined to pay for her as well if I liked her and had a good relationship with her, etc. etc. but like, I don't blame you for not because she is technically not in the bridal party, and no one would just ask to come along and then expect to be paid for (not saying she is expecting that) but it's not unreasonable then to not pay for her. That would be an awkward conversation for me to have though personally lol...curious if others have better advice on how to go about it. Let me know how it works out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics