Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Meghan
Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador

Hair/ makeup review

Meghan, on October 30, 2018 at 10:22 Posted in Beauty 0 12

I have a bit of a rant/ vendor review. I’m in a bridal group on Facebook where people do vendor reviews for our area and I’ve held of reviewing there because I don’t like posting negative reviews but I was very disappointed with my hair on my wedding day.

I had a hair/makeup trial a few weeks before the wedding. I had a few pictures of what I wanted and showed them to Ashley. After multiple attempts it still wasn’t really what I was looking for but I had my engagement photos shortly after so I didn’t have anymore time. She told me if I wasn’t happy to contact her and we’d set up another trial. After she left I looked at myself in the mirror and started to get upset. I hated my hair and my makeup(I’ll get to that later) I called my friend who is a hair stylist and asked if she could fix it quickly because my engagement shoot was in an hour! She took my hair out completely and had to re curl it because it just looked like a wavy mess. We fixed up my makeup and then I went to my shoot.

A few days later I contacted her to set up another trial, which she cancelled the day of because she was sick (understandable, people get sick) so we rescheduled for the Monday before my wedding. she cancelled again because there was a bride with an emergency. The new times didn’t work with my schedule so she did say that we could just go ahead with the regular time. By this point I was frustrated so I just said we’ll skip it because I know exactly what I want anyways so I assumed the wedding day would go fine. In the meantime I went to my friend who works in a salon and got her to do my hair how I wanted it and took pictures from every angle.

On my wedding day one of my bridesmaids went down to let her into the room and when she came upstairs she was a little upset, telling me that she can’t afford to get her hair and makeup done. The price Ashley had told my bridesmaid that morning was very different than the one she told me. I went downstairs to confront her about the change and she said ‘sorry, I didn’t check before I answered her question. The lower price is right.’ Not a major issue but still not a great way to start our day. Once she got to my hair I showed her the pictures of what I wanted with only the small change of wanting a little more hair out around my ears. She did and re-did my hair multiple times before I finally just had to settle with what was done because I was running out of time. After all that, the thing that frustrates me the most is that she ended our session with saying ‘it’s really hard when you don’t really know what you want’ as if I hadn’t shown her pictures of exactly what I wanted!

I do want to add that everyone else really liked my hair so it’s not that she isn’t good at hairstyling she just wasn’t able to do what I had shown her which was just a simple braid wrapping around my head and then some curls.

Now onto my makeup. The day of the trial I told her I really don’t wear a lot of makeup so I didn’t really want anything to dark on my eyes. I did say I wanted false lashes because I had them for my friends wedding the summer before and the ones the salon put on me looked so natural and just made my eyes pop. The ones Ashley put on me however did not look natural. She couldn’t get them to go on properly and my eyes kept getting glued together. She said the heat that day was causing an issue with the glue. They never went on properly and she left them not lined up with my natural lashes. I spent the next few days repeatedly flushing out my eyes because they were red and irritated from the glue. There were dark shadows all around my eyes from the eyeshadow she put on me and my lipstick was down below my lip, in an effort to make them look bigger maybe? But it just looked like a child put it on me.

On the wedding day her assistant did my makeup and it was actually lovely!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Amie, on November 17, 2018 at 02:03
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d absolutely do the review. Not writing the review is condoning her poor services and in turn, another bride may have the same experience. I’m sorry you had to go through that.

do you have any photos of the hair you wanted vs what she did? Makeup pics?
  • Natalie
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is exactly why you should leave a review. They're so important for people to learn from, and for vendors to do better.

I always, always leave reviews. Good, mediocre, bad.

Don't feel bad about reviewing her at all.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow, that's pretty brutal. I'm sorry that your hair didn't turn out the way you wanted, but I'm glad that your makeup worked out in the end!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm really sorry you went through this.

I personally don't like that she made the comment of "you don't know what you want". that feels unnecessary. To me, it seems like for the most part its just that you two didn't vibe/mesh. I personally wouldn't put a negative review for that. personalities clash/don't always understand each other.

just my 2 cents Smiley smile

• Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    She does mobile hair in Newfoundland.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Which company is she with? Definitely want to avoid, especially if you were really specific and did not get what you wanted!
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sorry this happened to you Smiley sad

• Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My friends who are hair stylists both stood in my wedding so I didn’t want them to have to do my hair that day. I was told by many people to cancel her and I probably should have but I really wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt that she was just having an off day. She’s not a bad stylist, as I said. But she didn’t listen to what I wanted and then told me I was to blame because I didn’t know what I wanted, according to her.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you were really unhappy with what she did then you should have said something and asked about returning the deposit. If you had a friend who was able to do what you wanted maybe you should have had her do your hair.

Sorry I’m not trying to blame you. But you said others liked your hair, so she wasn’t a bad stylist. It just sounds like you and her didn’t click. If she wasn’t able to do what you liked then you should have done something about it.
  • Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had already paid almost $200 which was the non-refundable deposit. I couldn’t afford to just forget about that and pay someone else.
    Honestly if she felt she couldn’t do what I was asking I think she should have said that and offered to refund me but she assured me that she could and that it would be fine on my wedding day. I just chalked the trial up as me not really knowing what I wanted / not being able to show her or describe it properly. It was such a simple style that I really didn’t think it would be that big of a deal. Literally two braids bobby pinned in the back and some curls.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ok I have a question. If you were not happy with your trial why did you use her for your wedding? Not all hairstylists can do all things with every type of hair. If you weren’t happy at your trial with how she did things you should have gotten someone else.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I get what you are saying about not wanting to rant or even review her on the FB group - but I really do recommend it. Based on what you had to go through, I would want to warn people that she is a bit all over the place and to make sure you get your hair and make-up trials done well in advance as to make sure she can do what it is that you are wanting. The last thing that I would want is to have gone with somebody like this and know that others will too, and have them not know about the struggles that may occur.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics