Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
Beginner October 2021 Ontario

Hair extensions

Ashley, on June 10, 2021 at 00:14 Posted in Beauty 1 18
What is better ordering hair extensions online through Bellami (which the place doing my hair and makeup for my wedding recommend) or going to a Salon that my Bridal Boutique recommend as a lot of their brides used this Salon for their wedding extensions…. ???

18 Comments

Latest activity by Stacey Tc, on January 13, 2022 at 00:04
  • Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If extensions are put in correctly you will barely notice them. I've had my own for 15 years that I put in myself and most of the time I don't notice them, I've even worn them for 2 or 3 days without removing. (I do not advise you do this!)
  • Jane
    Beginner July 2023 Ontario
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is it comfortable during the whole day with the extensions? I'm worried that they could fall away or sth or I just won't relax cause I'll be thinking of them?

• Ashley
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much for all of your input I really approve it 😊
  • Ashley
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Amazing thank you 😊
  • Ashley
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so so much. That is honestly very helpful 😊
  • Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had every intention of spending $800+ on "actual" hair extensions (the kind that are glued/clipped in semi-permanently) and it was actually my hair dresser who advised I go with removable hair extensions to save myself considerable money and to quote her "a huge and expensive upkeep pain in the ass". I was very grateful she recommended this instead of just taking my money like other salons would.

I ended up ordering mine from Canadahair.ca and I'm very impressed with the quality. I ended up getting the real human hair "halo" extensions, which are very easy to insert and remove yourself as it's all one piece. You can order a color ring sample for $15 and they give you a $15 coupon to go towards your order. Shipping was also very fast. Once salons are open again my hairdresser is going to "blend" the extensions in with my natural hair and she can also adjust the color or tone if need be (since they are real hair you can bleach or dye them if needed). The best part is once my wedding is over I will still have awesome hair extensions that are easy to insert myself that will last me for years, with out the crazy upkeep costs and damage normal hair extensions cause.

• Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just a comment on extension type. I have salon quality that my cousin bought me when she was in beauty school at wholesale price for my grad (15 years ago). They are the snap clip kind and I started using them again 3 years ago for shows. If they are put in properly they last very well throughout the day, on a two show day I've even slept with them in... which you shouldn't do but I braid my hair and put a scarf on.

15 years later, they still look great and I only have trouble with one clip staying closed. The rest are still super strong.

• Brittany
    Devoted December 2022 Yucatán
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would say yes. I'm not a bridezilla, but for me - hair is a really important factor and I have a certain color and style I want which after looking online for some extensions I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I rather get it done professionally and not have to worry about any unpleasant costs right before the wedding if it didn't look the way I envisioned most. Because most places on a rush before a wedding may charge a lot - some places charge upwards to $1,000 just for extensions and color and I would rather be prepared and slowly get the color and have them pre-order with an appointment leading up right before the wedding than not liking what is going on and having to go to the salon to get everything at fixed at once and spend all that money when lets say its supposed to go to a vendor to finish paying for other wedding things.

But if you are going with something that can easily be achieved like a solid color instead of highlights and lowlights and a root melt which is what I am looking for, you can easily order online and just get a solid hair dye at home or at the salon.

• Ashley
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for all of this info. I really appreciate it. So you are recommending I go through an actual Salon over online?
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is true - but I have had bellamy hair extensions before as well as numerous friends when we were younger and it was a pain to dye those one. We even had the bleach blonde ones so you would think a clean palette to color from but NOPE.

I just know that myself I want to order from my MOH and have her do my hair the week before just for the reason she is someone I 100000% trust to make sure it is right. I have my other hair stylist who does not live 3 hours away from me like my MOH but she doesn't have the extensions licenses so for that purpose she will be lightening my hair leading up to the wedding then I will order the extensions and get the last coloring service with my MOH.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Depending on what extensions you buy, some of them you can dye them to your hair color. My aunt is a hair stylist for Alberta Film & Television and has said the same thing. My maid of honor buys hers from online and has been using the company for over 10 years. I've forgotten the name but it's the only one she buys

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With extensions - it can be a bit hard. Ordering them on line is probably the cheaper option because salons usually do a slight up charge so they can make more of a profit (as they should). But with ordering them online already pre-colored you may buy a set and it arrives and it does not match your hair color at all and no matter what now you are going to the salon to ensure that your hair matches the extensions.

Where as if you are planning on getting your hair done before the wedding - the hair stylist will be able to order a set for you and make sure your hair already matches the set they are ordering. With a salon you can book a week before your wedding and tell them you want extensions and send them the color you are getting before the big day and they can have those exact extensions ready for you there and also show you how to put them in and how to style them. Because I saw in a lot of place in Alberta that we have to have our extensions in and our hair dried for the stylist to do the hair so that would be a good thing to know how to do (I don't know if its the same in Ontario).

I know a good chunk of this type of stuff because my best friend (MOH) is a salon owner and does hair for a living and she has told me the process we are going through leading up to my wedding because I also want hair extensions.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One piece of advice I have regardless of where you get your extensions. If you are planning on having them curled the day of the wedding curl them a couple times before the wedding! New extensions do not hold curls very well.

My first set of clip ins I bought i didn't curl them before the event and they did not hold the curl well at alll. 2nd set I bought the stylist reccomended I curled them at home a couple times before the event and the curls held all night!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For someone who is getting extensions, I am buying mine online just the clip on kind and then since my aunt is doing my hair for the wedding, she will be putting them in while she's doing my hair

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it depends on what type of extensions you want to get. If it's just clip ins, then you can probably go the online route since anyone can put those in you but if you want something glued or sewn onto your hair, you might as well get them from the salon who'll do it for you in advance (unless you want to be up super early on the day of your wedding to have the mobile hair company to do it).

Not sure which type of extension is better though, so you'll have to research that. I assume glue and sew ins are more stable compared to clip and tape ins?

• Ashley
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Either way I have to get hair extensions form somewhere and to have them for the mobile company I am using for my hair and makeup to put in for me as they don’t supply them, themselves. So I have to get them for either online or a Salon first and then give the extensions to them to put in for me.
  • Ashley
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    On one hand Bellami is very well know but on the other hand they are online and with the Salon I can have someone with me. Helping me.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How would you put the extensions in if you ordered them online?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics