Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Niki
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Hair and Makeup Timelime

Niki, on February 11, 2021 at 18:12 Posted in Beauty 0 34

Our church ceremony is at 12:30pm and I have 5 bridesmaids (1 is junior). I gave the makeup artist a 9:30/10 am finish time so we can get dressed, have my bridesmaids open their gifts, take pictures with my parents and bridesmaids and leave the house by 11:30 (driving from up town through downtown Toronto). The last thing I want is to be rushed. For 5 bridesmaids, myself and my mom I've been getting responses that my finish time is "so early". Has anyone else experienced this? I thought 5am-6m start time for hair and makeup was a normal thing? And I only have 5 bridesmaids I cant imagine a group of 10 bridesmaids!

34 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on February 15, 2021 at 17:57
  • Sarah
    Beginner August 2023 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually don’t see a problem with your timeline and it’s also your day so if you want to get up that early then I think that’s completely fair! I definitely will be getting up early to spend as much time with my mum and bridesmaids as possible!
    I always think back to situations where time has gotten away from me and how quick an hour actually goes on a busy day like that!
    Tell them all that you’ll have plenty of coffee waiting for them and you’ll see them nice and early!
  • Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely planning and hoping for more even if it’s just a bit more! We’ve come up with several different guest lists to be prepared. Thanks for the positive responses Christiana☺️
  • Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Currently it’s 10 people in a church. I’m being optimistic and hoping in June restrictions will allow at least 20
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Her wedding isn’t until June. It’s possible she’ll be limited to 10 but it’s also possible she’ll be allowed more. I assume she’s planning for a larger guest list for the time being 🙂
  • Candice
    Newbie August 2021 British Columbia
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your aloud that many bridesmaids? With Covid how are you able to have more then 10 guests?
  • Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats awesome! Having two is definitely a game changer!! Haha
  • Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely not something I want to be rushed! Especially that we have to drive through the city to get to the church. That makes sense that its 6-7 I dont know how I calculated less! But yes my 2 makeup artists and hair stylists will be coming in at staggered times - the first one at 5am and then 6am Smiley smile

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Because we are getting married in church with specific ceremony times Im afraid we have no choice of getting ready super early!

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! Hair will be another person, and I have 2 makeup artists coming, 3 people total working on hair and makeup Smiley smile Thank you for the breakdown of timing!Smiley smile

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its good to hear that its a regular time for a ceremony that begins that early! I have 2 makeup artists coming and 1 hair stylist, it looks like I may add another hair just to speed up the process. That is a great point that not all of my bridesmaids have to be here at once - good thing they are close by too! Smiley smile

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I actually have 6-7 hours booked for 5 adults and 2 girls. It takes a while to get everyone done. I'd wake up at 4am to start getting ready if I had a 1230 ceremony. Especially if you want photos taken! Its not a process that should be rushed in my mind.
  • Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is very true, I think even if they start on me early they will still add touch ups/fix me up before they leave!

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will be adding another hair stylist to come a little later to balance it off more!

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That makes sense, a lot of factors come into play when it comes to the timeline

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That makes sense Kristen that you have 4 hours for hair/makeup for 4 adults and 2 girls. Mine is about 5 hours for 6 adults, a Jr and a flower girl. I suppose mine just plays out that way because we have an early ceremony! Smiley smile

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was January, during a snow storm. The venue was a 1.5/2 hour limo drive from her house.
  • Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're right! I didn't even think about getting in the car - thats a whole other mission haha. Thanks for your response! Smiley smile

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly I cant be rushed, the nerves will be in full force as it is lol. I think I just don't have a choice but to have an early morning but thats okay! I don't think they're bothered by being up so early I just thought getting hair and makeup done on a wedding day was common to be up for 6am !

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow! 7am is so early for a 4pm ceremony. I think my timeline makes sense as its about 6 hours before the church

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Will definitely be an early morning! But you gotta do what you gotta do to look your best on the big day!!
  • Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much Liberty that sounds about the same as my situation

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That makes sense but because we are getting married at a church and not having our ceremony at the reception, the church is much earlier to allot time for travel/pictures in between, it'll just have to be an early morning! Thanks for your reply!

• Olivia
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Her MUA will tell her how much time they’ll need and suggest a start time anyways. But yes it’ll definitely be a very early start time.
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think your math is off a bit and I don't want Niki to get the impression she only needs 3.5 hours. She has 5 bridesmaids, her mom, and herself. So even if you go with the lesser time of 30 minutes and let's be generous and say a full hour for the bride, that's: 10 (set up) + 30x6 (bridesmaids and mom) + 60 (bride) + 5x5 (cleaning between each) = 275 minutes or 4 hours and 35 minutes.

So unfortunately it's going to have to be a really early start time unless she hires a second MUA. This also includes hair but I assume it's a different person doing that and they'll be working simultaneously.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Based on every wedding I've been a part of where the ceremony was that early in the day, that sounds about right. With six people who need makeup (potentially seven if your mom is also taking part), the makeup artist will likely schedule an assistant to do the bridesmaids while the main MUA will work on you. So they won't be starting THAT early (most makeup artists will much rather bring an assistant as opposed to showing up at 5am) but your girls will still have to arrive at your place by 7am to be ready to be done up.

• Olivia
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is extremely early. I’m a freelance MUA, and personally I’ve been asked to do a bridal party to be ready at noon and turned it down because of early we’d have to start. Typically you need 30-45 mins per face, extra time is always spent on the bride. Plus about 10 mins set up time and 5 mins between each client for cleaning. So you’re looking at about 3 and a half hours.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would ask your stylist. Where it's typical for the bride to go first ask if there will be time for touch ups for you at the end, since 6 hours is a long time to expect hair to stay coiffed. They will know best how long each person will take based on what you want done so they can budget their time.
  • Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Would it be possible to get hire more makeup artists or hair stylists to make things go quicker? That sounds like it will be a really long day for everyone getting up that early and to get through the rest of the busy day.

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My personal situation is myself with 3 girls, 2 flower girls and my mom and we are starting to get ready at 7am and will be finished by 1 hopefully. we do have until 2 for some buffer time. My ceremony is at 3pm. so personally I think that will be a veeery early start to the day to get all you done for a 9:30/10ish. But really all depends on the time line your hair and makeup goes by. My time line was made by my hair and make up stylists from their experience.

• S
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Finishing by 9:30am may be better if your doing photos. I consulted with my photographer/videographer and the hair/makeup to see what timeline would be best. I buffered an hour for photos etc and then an extra half hour for commuting (in addition to actual commuting) because it may take time for you to get in the car, what if you forget something inside, etc. Better to be early for your wedding than to be late! They will all have a timeline for you Smiley smile
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should speak with your makeup artist about how long they need for each person. Then I'd add in a bit of buffer room. Like you said the last thing you want is to be rushed on your wedding day.

Your ceremony is pretty early and you need to account for travel time so unfortunately that means an early morning getting ready. Not a lot you can do about that. Can your bridesmaids/mom do their own makeup if they're that bothered about the early timing?

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well, I personally think it’s really early. You’ll be exhausted before your reception. I woke up at 7am for a friends wedding for hair and makeup, and we were beat all by the time the ceremony started at 4pm. But given your timeline, you kind of have to wake up very early.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics