Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2019 Ontario

Hair and Make-up

Kristine, on March 11, 2019 at 07:52 Posted in Beauty 0 15

Hi everyone,

I need opinions on hair and make-up for bridesmaids.

What is the norm when it comes to hair and make-up? Do brides usually pay for their bridesmaids' hair and make-up or do you let them pay their own if they choose to?

Your help is much appreciated as I am not sure whether it is acceptable to ask for the bridesmaids to pay this on their own. I do not want to put too much burden on my bridesmaids but at the same time I do not want to spend a fortune on their HMU if I were to pay for them.

Thank you in advance!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 06:09
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends honestly. Like, usually it should even out with how much the bridesmaids and you both pay. Like my bridesmaids took me out to LA for my bachelorette, threw me an amazing bridal shower. So I paid for their dresses, hair and makeup.

If you don't want to pay for makeup and hair, let them know they can do whatever they want for their own makeup and hair. However, let them know they have the option to use the same hair/makeup artist and give them the price for each.

• K
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your input! It really helped me to come into terms on how to proceed with hair and make-up. My sister (MOH) had told me that she'll cover her costs despite me telling her that I will cover for it which is really nice of her. Anyway, thanks a lot everyone!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I told my girls that I wanted them to get their hair done so I would pay for that. If they wanted their makeup done the girl could do theirs as well and they would pay for that ($30 for makeup, $60 for hair). All the girls said this was fair and then my
    MOH said she would pay for her hair and makeup and the rest all followed suit but they all said that me paying for their hair because I was requesting that be done was appreciated amen reasonable.
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since we will get married outside the province, across the country even from West Coast to East Coast, and my best friends would come to become my bridesmaids and paying their own tickets, I will be paying for their dresses, make up and hair.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like if you’re really perticular about what you want, then it’s nicer if you offer to pay. If you’re open to people doing their own if they choose, Having makeup styled their own way, etc then they can pay if they want it professionally done.

My girls I am paying for makeup. I wanted them all to have a certain style and look semi uniform in that aspect.

as for hair, I left it up to them. I found a girl to come to the hotel for a reasonable price. I told them to let me know what they wanted. If they wanted to do their own, or pay for it. All I asked is that they have it up. Two girls decided to do their own. Three and my mom are using the girl I found.

everyone seems happy with the arrangement. So 🤷🏼‍♀️

I get that you accept the financial responisbilty when you accept the role. But when brides demand certain things, especially if some of the costs make some girls uncomfortable things get iffy. One persons idea of a reasonable price for a service might not be another’s.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been in a few weddings and everytime was fully prepared to pay for my own as a bridesmaid or maid of honour. A couple times the bride paid as our gift to thank us for standing up with her and other times I paid. I'd say it depends on your budget ... if you can afford to and want to lessen their cost you could always pay for half?
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on a lot of factors - in salon or at your home/hotel? How experienced a stylist/MUA? How many girls (prices often go down if you have lots of people)? Up do's or hair down? Etc.

For my girls, they are all paying for their own hair and makeup. I encouraged them to do professional hair and makeup, but told them I was fine if they wanted to do their own - none of them did!

I negotiated with a private MUA and am paying full price for my bridal trial and makeup (100$ each), and my girls are paying 65$ each. The MUA waived the travel fee, and isn't charging 'waiting time' or 'travel time' from the hotel to church for touchups (we have photos before our ceremony). She agreed to this because I have also booked in my mom, and two friends for makeup between when we leave and when she needs to be at the church.

My hairstylist is my regular stylist who cuts my hair. She gave me a great deal, because I'm a regular client, and I booked her privately so she can be paid under the table. Smiley smile In the end, we're paying 70$ for an updo, and 45$ for a down, which is a killer deal.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It all depends what they are and you are comfortable with!

When I got quotes from makeup/hair stylists, I told my bridal party this would be the cost and if they were okay with that price. All but one were okay with costs, the one who didn't like the cost, I offered to pay for part of it if she wanted, or she could do her own if she wanted to do that route. She ended up choosing to go on her own.

In the end, if you really want your bridesmaids to have the same stylist, I would be prepared to pay at least part of it. If it doesn't matter to you, some may DIY to save money instead of paying for a stylist.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that it's usually paid for by the BM's. I've heard of it being the gift to the BM's but personally don't like that the gift is to benefit the Bride and Groom so I would avoid it.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They typically pay for their own. Unless you have stated you will pay, they should know they are supposed to pay for it.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing the same as Stephanie.

The girls will be paying for their dresses. But since I have gotten a good deal on hair and makeup, I will be covering that for my girls. This way everyone has the same amount of makeup, and hair is done similar for the pictures.

It really comes down to what your budget is, and how big your bridal party is. I only have 4 to pay for, and then they will get a small gift.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's up to you and your budget.

As a MOH, my bestfriend offered to arrange for us to get our hair and makeup done at a discounted rate that we paid for. I did my own hair and paid for my makeup to get done.

Sometimes brides offer to pay for all of it.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m paying for hair and makeup for my one and only MOH because a) I only have one, b) it’s my sister, and c) I want her to look put together (as opposed to doing her hair and makeup herself). I feel like if I had more bridesmaids I’d still pay for their hair and makeup tho. I like that uniform look of everyone looking made up and at this point (for me), it’s just another small expense for the big party which is my wedding lol.
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think its up to the individual bride- if you can afford to pay for everyone then that could be a nice gift however it is not necessary. All of the weddings I have been in as a bridesmaid we paid for our own dresses, hair and make up.

For my bridesmaids they are paying for their own hair and make up but I am going to cover the tip portion of that cost for them, also for the bridesmaids dresses I covered $50 of the cost od each dress.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me... I wanted a very specific dress and colour for my girls that they all paid for, we were back and forth on who could do their own hair/makeup and who would need some help. So I just decided to hire someone for all of us! I am paying for them as a gift! Plus since they all paid for the dress I didnt want to force them to pay for something else just because I wanted it! They are already doing so much for me and my day (plus bridal shower and bachelorette) like I dont want my girls to worry about paying so much out of pocket it doesnt seem fair to me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics