Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natasha
Devoted May 2021 Ontario

Guys ... i'm sick of photo booths

Natasha, on January 14, 2019 at 11:47 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16
Having been too about a dozen weddings over the last year and a half I gotta say I'm OVER photo booths. Most of the time the picture quality sucks, the props are annoying, you can get stuck in several rounds of pictures when you just wanna leave, and no one ever looks decent!

Any alternative reception entertainment options you guys have seen or will be utilizing yourselves?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Tim, on June 24, 2024 at 03:19
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do agree that photo booths are just past done now. My cousin had a different way of getting pictures done without props or anything and yet you can look good in it. He got someone to set up a camera attached to a printer as the shot was taken. Open space and a level that was intended for it within the venue.

Tables with games can be an idea for kids attending if invited and adults on another.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Noted and thanks for sharing! I was considering but wondered if they're overdone at this point!
    My cousin and his wife had a Polaroid and instead of signing the guestbook, you took a picture of yourself (or had someone do it) and put it in the book instead! I thought it was unique and cute.
    I was speaking with someone yesterday who hired dancers to come and teach people how to line dance at their wedding. Simple, fun, and gets most people going, and you really only need them to come for an hour or so! Ask your DJ if he knows any fun dances to get people going (some of them do).
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be doing photo booth. DJ is included in the venue cost and will be playing all night long. We are still considering bout hiring a musician which we know is very good to perform for 3 hours after dinner before DJ kicks in.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just had an idea to set up a booth, and have a video camera so people can leave us a short 2 min video of advice or happy wishes or whatever they choose. my FH dad creates short films and hes amazing at it, so we were going to ask him to edit it and put it together for us for our 1 year anniversary

• Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing a Photo Booth but we are having an area with two polaroid cameras to take photographs and hang them on a string! It's fun and a little different/more intimate.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto this! I love the fact that guests can take a photo home with them that same day! Actually in the process of booking one myself!

But you can do live music! I've seen some companies offer "fake" gambling tables! Do they print poker/black jack/roulette tables for guests to play with! No real money is gambled though just fake!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our MC did the shoe game with us and we had baskets on each table for people to write us notes or date ideas and we would open it throughout the first year of marriage. That is all we had in terms of entertainment. People danced, they mingled. Some left right after dinner. People had fun without anything extra!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Me too! I am not doing extra entertainment, the DJ is expensive...go dance!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm surprised you're not sick of weddings... lol omg a dozen in one year? I haven't been to half a dozen in my life!

I agree that photo booths are a little over done, and can be very cheesy... personally, for people who don't go to a lot of weddings, they are still fun, and you can get some cool ones now that are more unique/better stuff.... However I totally get personal preference, so if YOU are over them, don't have one... haha.

Personally, I think providing entertainment at a wedding is kind of unnecessary... people socialize, dance, drink, hang out... You don't necessarily need to give them more to do... and I like when people are together/involved.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH doesnt like them so we nixed it.
    Consider a painter, or one of those new age magicians (who guess what you’re thinking etc)
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could try a charicturist like Jennifer is doing! Or if you guys are have a specific dance for your background you could hire dancers (for me I could hire Ukrainian dancers), karaoke maybe?? Or how about just yard games in general? Oh! Poker night!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing a photo booth myself because i think they’re so fun, especially with people you don’t see often but if I wasn’t doing a photobooth - we would just have our DJ.

actual “entertainment” I.e., singers, dancers, etc. I don’t find are necessary.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We might do a photo wall for people to take their own pics in front of, but I agree, I'm over the photo booth thing. Kinda over entertainment in general - I'm planning a massive party, putting time and care into the food and music, what else do people want???

• G
    Beginner September 2019 Quebec
    Gabriellemass ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on the type of people you are. My soon to be husband is a software developer. Maybe setting up a VR station for people to try out could be fun. It isn't something that people think of trying but they had it at their Christmas party and it was really fun!

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree ^ I don't really want to have a photo booth but thats all ive seen lately and we want to have something extra for the guests to do

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend hired a caricature artist. it was awesome. she had a small wedding so everyone was able to get one done.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics