Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kadi
Curious August 2021 Alberta

Guest list troubles.

Kadi, on January 26, 2020 at 21:26 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

Hello my wedding wire friends!

My FH has a cousin neither of us like but we do love her son. He thinks if we don't invite her it will cause I riff in the family ( and we can't invite her son without inviting her and her other kid plus her boyfriend).We don't need to invite her plus's all the people that will come with her (although having her son there would be awesome). I suggested to him maybe her son can be an usher and work the wedding. That way she doesn't have to be invited. What do you all think? Should we just cut our losses and invite them all to provemlnt offending her? Or do you agree with me that we should say no?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Tracy, on February 4, 2020 at 12:06
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a very touchy subject. For us it wasn't because we didn't get along with the person, it was trying to keep our guest list down. So for us we explained it with those we talk to and see on a regular basis. Perhaps, that might help.

But honestly, it's your wedding and you don't need hassles. If people are offended, are they worth your time to begin with? Sorry if that is harsh but life is too short. Talk to the cousin's son and see how he feels about it too. But it may help to talk the trouble cousin and explain the situation that you need a happy day, drama free.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ugh man thats hard. we are inviting everyone and hoping the people we dont like dont bother coming lOLL!LLL!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd say to invite all of them to avoid offending/possible family drama.

Most families have their fair-share of drama and both of ours were no exception. There have been a few feuds involving my parents and their siblings (my aunts/uncles) and I invited aunts/uncles purely to keep the peace in the family/not wanting to start a new feud. Also keep in mind you'll probably won't be spending much time with her on your wedding as you got to visit with everyone on your guest list.

On the other hand, if she's very dramatic/might cause a scene day-of, I'd consider having her son work the wedding and not inviting her. I'd only consider this if having her at the wedding would cause problems (i.e. get too drunk and start a fight, etc). DH's mom's side of his family is basically all like this, so we didn't invite anyone from that side. This cousin might take offence that her son gets to go and not her, so be prepared if she responds by not letting her son go.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on how much you care about that side of the family and if you guys don't mind never talking to his cousin.... things like this can cause lots of family drama so the way we looked at doing this kind of thing was - would we/you be okay if this was it for that relationship? If you would feel bad about it then it's best to just bite your tongue and invite them.

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also like the idea of including him in the wedding. I wouldn't invite everyone just to be fair. I've discovered that people get really sensitive around anything wedding-related, so it's best to do what you want.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The bad thing is people get offended over the littlest things when it comes to the guest list. Inviting her is the best way to avoid any drama that could come with her being offended, but that doesn’t mean she’s off the hook. You can have a firm talk that she is invited with her son but that’s it and the expectations you have for her that day. She’ll be on her best behaviour if she wants to be there
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You want the son to come, then cut losses and invite them all to be fair.
    You don't like the one cousin and boyfriend and only inviting the son as wanted, don't send a card to make matters worse.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of including him in the wedding. I think that might be the best loophole for having him there without having his mom and all her potential drama.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics