Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Savannah
Frequent user April 2020 Ontario

Guest list scaling back

Savannah, on November 9, 2020 at 19:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Just wondering how other couples are going about scaling back their guest lists for next year. We are to have our vow renewal/ceremony April 25th 2021. While we are keeping optimistic that we can have 50ish guests as originally planned we are in talks of how to go about sending out our updated invites, we have thrown around just sending them out to immediate family for the time being and sending out additional closer to, or sending just the invites to immediate family we for sure want to comw and then additional guests with notes that we may need to scale back with our apologies if we need to cut them from the guest list. Wondering how other couples are navigating this and what you are including in your notes to guests?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Savannah, on November 10, 2020 at 12:32
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! We’re hoping so too! 🤞🏼 We’ve narrowed down a minimum guest list to 25 that we want to have there some way or another, like Kaitlyn mentioned below though, it’s definitely been tough essentially deciding which loved ones are “most important”. I am hoping we will be able to atleast continue with 25-30 if the gathering limits are changed from the current 50 allowed indoors and we can send out additional invites closer to. We are just hoping our guests are understanding and realize we aren’t cutting them out because we don’t want them there.
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definetly seems like the different guest lists has been a popular choice! I totally agree, I feel the same way having to literally pick and choose which loved ones are “most important”. Our original guest count was a little over 50, but for our situation the ceremony is outside and the dinner is inside the ballroom at the venue which has definitely made it more difficult since we would have to scale down to accommodate to the indoors guidelines, which currently I am reading is at 50 following guidelines. We made a minimum guests list of 25 people that we have decided we are wanting to give invites to in the meantime that regardless we are wanting there some way or another, and then will reassess in the new year and extend invites further if the cap is still 50 or more. My fingers are crossed for you that you’ll be good for 100! 🤞🏼
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion! 😊
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Scaling back to a smaller number may be suggestable at this point until the numbers do go back up when its better.

Your guests will understand about the vow renewal date pushed back for its celebration. Immediate family can be present currently while a delay hold is to be confirmed until next for the full guest list. It seems many couples are in the same boat to consider the times taking place and cutting back on the guest list too. I hope all is well for you both and things work out for next year.

• Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our original guest count is just over 200.

I am optimistic we will be able to have our wedding as planned (and am sending out the STDs this week). However realistically I know we will be restricted. We have divided our guests up into lists of 50, List A is family and bridal party, list B our next most important, then List C and List D. We have found it really difficult to categorize all our loved ones by "most important" as if they weren't special to us, they wouldn't be invited in the first place.

Our ceremony and reception are out doors so I am really hoping we will be ok for at least 100 guests.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would put a little covid disclaimer on any invites being sent. Something like "we really hope we can celebrate together, please stay tuned to our wedding website incase gathering restrictions rain on our parade". I would still reach out to people in the event that you need to downsize, but at least you've softened the blow a little.
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely agree! While it’s unfortunate since we already had such a small wedding planned and narrowed it down to around 50 from the start, at the end of the day we just want everyone healthy and safe also and if it means having to be minimal to adhere to whichever guidelines are in place at the time we’re all for it (I just personally don’t want to postpone for a 3rd time lol). I like your A,B & C list idea! We have started a small list of 25 with very close immediate family, definitely like the idea of having additional lists of people to add on to the main list if restrictions lessen or we are permitted to do so!
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like your Zoom link idea! Definitely something to consider for those who we can’t invite that we still would like there in some sense! We have narrowed down a list to 25 as a precautionary list/list of people we 100% want/have to have there and then the remainder we are planning to add as we can definitely sucks having to cut out some immediate family though in order to meet regulations but I guess that’s where we’re stuck at this point. Definitely hoping with the positive news on a potential vaccine that there will be some easing and more leeway!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't started looking at our guest list yet but we did talk about that since our guest list is sitting at 72 at the moment. Some of our friends will have to be told that we can't invite them at this time. We have also talked about a, b, and c list. All of our immediate family will be group A, close friends will be group B and the rest will be group C. Once we start sending out the invites for group A and see who have said yes to coming or not coming, we will then start with group B and so forth.

We've both come to realization that our wedding guest list will not have everyone that we wanted there and our wedding will be a bit smaller but at the end of the day we want to make sure everyone is safe and healthy.

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have 3 lists. For July 2021.

Our ‘coronavirus is no longer an issue’ list is 120.

Our ‘the indoor limit has gone up to 100?!’ List is 100 lol
    And then we have the list of 50.
    120 is still such a small wedding total that I’m really hoping it will be safe to have 120 but we will be just have to wait and see..
    Who knows?! You might just have vaccines to consider in time for your wedding!
    Our first 50 will get invites first next year and the invites are going to include the details for our zoom codes for is they are more comfortable watching on zoom. And also, it will include on that note that this is the option of numbers have to be reduced big time and also if it’s what is best for your situation to do’.
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our original guest list was just under 60, however of we could even cap our guest at 30ish we’d be happy with just immediate family. Good to know that external vendors are part of the count, I was under the impression that they weren’t so good to know to factor in! Thanks! 😊
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't go over 50 guests to be honest unless you're very confident that your region will be a green zone, which the GTHA will likely not be. Unless we see some major positive developments, we're keeping a hard limit at no more than 50, including external vendors who are not employed by the venue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics