Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Master October 2019 Ontario

Guest list rules for kids is established, except for one cousin

Allison, on July 8, 2019 at 14:22 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14

Hey everyone,

Almost done ironing out the guest list for sending out invitations. We're writing in how many seats each household gets on the invitation so hopefully people won't write in plus ones and children.

As for children, we established that since most cousins are over 16, as a ground rule, no one except for the flower girl and ring bearer will be under 16. Also, we are only inviting cousins on each side, no children of cousins since we aren't as close and they almost all fall into the under 16 rule (2 are adults, but again don't really know them and they're more estranged from the family).

However, there always seems to be an exception to the rule, and that is my one 12 year old cousin. I am closer to him than the 20 year old daughter of my cousin that isn't invited, but if people see that he's there, I fear they'll get offended that one kid was invited but their 4+ kids weren't. Is there a way to explain to cousins with kids that yes, there will be a random 12 year old there, but he's close to the family? Should I cross him off the list even though we are close? Give him a job at the wedding (i.e. usher/ring bearer supervisor) so people aren't up-in-arms?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on July 12, 2019 at 19:41
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is true, I do think having a “job” will help with some of the butt hurt, but I think it’ll happen no matter what.
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think people will understand even if you dont give him a "job" (altho i do think its a cute jesture). My wedding is a mix of "adults only" and over 12. My 3 baby cousins (12, 13 and 16) are the only "kids" invited plus those who are coming from out of town and my goddaughter but they are all under 5. If anyone says anything I would just explain that you are very close with them and wanted them there.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm hoping since he's older, cousins with younger children might be more understanding. However, some of my cousins have 13-15 year olds who aren't invited and I hope those are the ones that don't make a fuss!

I think giving him a job/title will help with the fussing!

• Marley
    Beginner May 2019 Alberta
    Marley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was worried about things like this, but everyone was so busy and there were enough people there that they didn’t even notice these things. I feel silly about it now! Yes I included a few teenagers at my adult only reception and nobody even noticed.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, that seems to be the best way to do this!
  • Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely thought of maybe giving him a special role! That might avoid some of the offense taken.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn’t even think of an extra boutonnière! Will definitely order one for him
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A job part of the wedding will allow him to stay and not have any questions asked by others. As the other wedding party having a boutonniere, the same goes for the 12 year old. It will show hes part of your day.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the nice thing about him being older, he could act as a supervisor - especially to the 1 and half year old ring bearer. He's a little old for the role himself, but he could supervise.

Also people tend to get really defensive when it comes to their kids, at least what I've seen lol

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As much as I wanna say "Your wedding - you don't have to explain yourself!"... you may get some people talking and seeing as how it may be avoidable I would get him to be an usher for the wedding. Maybe even be the go-to daycare type person for the 2 other kids?

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

On my mom's side, my oldest cousin is 45 and then on my dad's side, I have the 12 year old lol. FH's cousins are around the same age, no one's under 18.

I'm thinking having a mini-job will help reduce ruffled feathers. I'll talk with my parents as well as his to see if we can think of something. My cousin's on my dad's side would understand why he was invited but my mom's side and FH's family wouldn't and we don't want anyone getting up-in-arms about this Smiley amazing

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Becky that offering them a "job" or title in the wedding, would help family drama.

I'm in a similar situation: We're only inviting first cousins, not their kids. We'll have two cousins (from my FH's side) in their early teens and my side is mostly well over 40. So I can see how that'll ruffle some feathers, but we'll just tell them: They are the groom's first cousins, it's not their fault they're younger!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I'm thinking! That way he was part of the wedding, and hopefully less people will bicker!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would give him some type of job- like help with the supervisor of the young ones so you can kinda use this as a reason to others. This way people bicker less towards you. I definitely understand theres always an exception but it makes it hard when people decide to point it out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics