Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cardinal
Curious September 2019 Ontario

Guest list

Cardinal, on October 8, 2017 at 08:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16
Hey ladiesMaking our guest list, I have a huge family in which most I don't have much contact with. Would it be rude to not invite them?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 31, 2017 at 19:56
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cut back on family members to immediate only and close friends. I have family overseas that i didn't even invite due to costs. Have a party with the whole family after the wedding to include them and no feelings would be hurt.
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got my parents and grandmother to help with this part. And even then if my parents were not invited to certain weddings than certain people were not invited. Our guest list is 250 people. I invited Aunts and Uncles and than 1st cousins. Right now I am debating on inviting my parents first cousins as they are my age and didn't invite me to their wedding even though they are my age and I grew up with them and played with them all the time. A lot of cousins were invited to the wedding that shouldn't of been that were younger than me that they didn't grow up with. There was hurt feelings on that part. Picking and choosing on that part was uncool especially since we spent a lot of our time together. But no if you don't have contact with them not at all.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can invite whoever you'd like. If people are offended than that is their prerogative.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not rude at all. The way I see it, you have to close your eyes and imagine the people you want with you for the biggest, happiest timed moment of your life, and if those people are not there, do not invite them. That said, I saw a tweet that said making your guest list is the most political thing you'll ever do, unless you're the president. So, it definitely is a balancing act. We're inviting people according to circles of closeness. So family that hasn't meant my FH? Off the list. His family members that we haven't seen in 3 years? Off the list. Those are the rules that work for us, but you find the ones that work for you.

• Cardinal
    Cardinal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is another good idea! Only inviting plus ones if they were in relationship when invites were sent... Where is everyone getting these tips lmao
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We cut back on family... Only aunts & uncles, cousins & their spouses. We did not invite our cousins children (there is tons!), or allow anyone to bring +1's if they are not in a relationship when we did the invites. We still have 110-ish family invited Smiley sad lol

• Cardinal
    Cardinal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Very expensive indeed as I have 28 immediate family....many more aunts and uncles....then there is groom's family lol I talked about it with him last night and we are just going to do immediate family and a couple friends. Hopefully no hard feelings afterwards.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Weddings can become very expensive if you invite everyone. I think you're smart to consider only inviting those you have the most contact with. You could always send the others a wedding announcement with a photo in it. That's a kind way of letting them know you've tied the knot.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah invite who you want to invite. It's your day.

• Cardinal
    Cardinal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Gordon I was thinking the exact same thing... Just invite immediate family and couple friends to keep it small.
  • Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Always can explain it was just immediate friends and family to keep the wedding simple and small. It definitely shows who is a must invite and who is a nice to invite
  • Cardinal
    Cardinal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you Lynne that is amazing tips! Where can i find these in future? Tips advice etc?.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's rude! It's always nice if you can invite in "circles" because it draws an easy line - like cutting the guest list before 1st cousins, or 1st cousins only no 2nd cousins, etc.

Here are some great resources with guest list tips, check them out:

Wedding Guest List Etiquette

How to Scale Back the Guest List for Your Wedding

5 Major Guest List Don'ts

7 Things to Consider When Making Your Wedding Guest List

• Cardinal
    Cardinal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So it's rather huge when we combine both mine an spouses together and would like to have small wedding but don't want to have anybody feeling hurt or pissed off at me
  • Cardinal
    Cardinal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was thinking same but some are grudge holders lol... My immediate family I have 30 not including spouses... Lol so it's rather huge not leave much room for rest of family ... Hoping they take it well haha
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it's rude. I also have massive family and if I was to invite everyone it would easily be a 200 person wedding. We are only having 40 guests. It's just our immediate family like parents brothers and sisters and our closest friends. No one in my extended family seemed to mind and they are all very happy for us regardless. It's your day and you should do what works best for you, if your family is mature enough they should totally understand Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics