Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mikayla
Newbie September 2023 British Columbia

Guest List

Mikayla, on July 22, 2022 at 18:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

Hey, so I am getting married September 16th 2023 and wow am I already stressed. I hope I’m not alone on this feeling. We have decided to do a destination wedding to try and keep it as small as possible. Hopefully trying to keep it under 50 people. Right now on our guest list I have 71 people and I can’t seem to cut it down because everyone who is on it are close to us. A destination wedding is very expensive for people to travel to which I completely understand so I am assuming our number will diminish very quickly. However I’m so scared that everyone will RSVP yes and all of a sudden we will be having a huge wedding. Any suggestions?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Carine, on July 25, 2022 at 08:21
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You will always have cancelations, not everyone will be able to afford it. I understand your position, I went from 100 to 45 people, I basically said when was the last time we spoke? how often do I see them? Do they make an effort? When I sent out my safe the dates I also posted on facebook a message to everyone who is not invited not to take it personally that the budget is just not there and that the extra cost to have a big wedding with everyone I love is going towards a down payment of a house. I said it in a nicer way obviously and people understood. Depending on the cost and where you are going not everyone will say yes, or say yes but closer to the date back out. It will be your big day enjoy it.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would honestly start with the people that you see and talk to the most. and go from there. My fiance and I did that with our gust list. We have only invited our immediate family no extended cousins or friends of friends etc.

My fiance and I are having a destination wedding. We live in Alberta and are getting married in BC. We invited 65 people and we only have 41 guests attending. Destination weddings are alot for some people.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I just meant I don't think you'll have to worry about it. Regular weddings have a 10% decline rate... destinations are much larger.
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was also planning a destination but decided against it because although everyone was all for it at first to come, after a few weeks we started getting some texts from family and friends that we invited (it was about 30) and people were starting to back out once they got a chance to look at their schedule and finances.

So opted to do Banff as a destination instead and so far so good!
    I have a co worker who just got married in Costa Rica in May and she told me she invited about 80, and roughly a little less than 60 showed up. A lot of people said yes and never booked their trip. Or they booked their trip with a deposit and never paid in full last minute and decided not to come. So although people may want to come now, people will unfortunately start dropping because of things like finances, vacation time available or for the fact they just don’t want to go because they don’t like flying.
    Since it is also a destination wedding, I would maybe send our save the dates at a year mark, so this September, and see who is interested in coming, and if too many people are not interested and tell you not to send an invite because they won’t be able to afford it or get time off, keep a back up list B. I have done this for my Banff wedding destination and on the save the date we put if you are not able to make it, please reach out to myself or FH and let as know. This was we can send more out to the people on guest list B
  • Mikayla
    Mikayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your comment. Im not sure if my post was confusing but I was actually looking for advice on how to cut down my guest list.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep in mind it's not just finances... some people can't take vacation anytime they want and some may not have much vacation and maybe this isn't how they want to use it plus the financial cost if it's not a trip they want to take. No offense - just a fact!
  • Mikayla
    Mikayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are right it is our day and we are doing what makes us happy. Thank you. Essentially the guest list should trim itself and then we could potentially do a reception after. That is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It will happen based on their financial aspect. There can be a reception held for those who couldn't make it for the destination. You two are doing what you want for your wedding day. Its up to those guests who are willing to make trip for your celebration.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics