Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenn
Frequent user March 2019 Ontario

Groom/groomsmen Dress Shirts

Jenn, on December 30, 2018 at 21:55 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8

If I am wearing an ivory gown, then would it be noticeable in pictures if the groom wore a white dress shirt? Or should he wear a white/off-white/cream shirt? (we don't want to go with a colour; would like to keep the dress shirt neutral)

8 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on December 31, 2018 at 15:44
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would hold his dress shirt up to your dress. my photographer said make sure his shirt isn't stark white because it can be noticeable in photos (I have an ivory dress).

of course it does depend on the tone of the ivory.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dress is ivory, but it looks more white from far away. For the guys' shirts, I would make sure that the shirts aren't stark white, but a "white" shirt should look alright.

• Erin
    Curious April 2020 Alberta
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would call the place you got your Dress from and see if they can make a swatch for you. Then you can be confident knowing the colours are okay

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The guy we are getting our suits from recommended that the guys should wear the same colour shirts as my dress, if we chose to go with white. It will be pretty obvious if you're wearing ivory or champagne and they're wearing WHITE.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should be fine! Generally men's dress shirts aren't made of material that is as STARK WHITE as a wedding dress can be! Satins (on a wedding dress) can make them look brighter/whiter! But since most dress shirts are just cotton the brightness wont be as alarming in white!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Tori. I never really thought of this as my dress is ivory also. I didn’t want to be in such a bright white because I am super pale. But I don’t see having a white shirt for the guys.
    like Brittany said just making sure it isn’t super white you should be ok
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on how "ivory" it is... My dress is ivory, but you'd easily confuse it for white... just not "snow"/stark white...

The gentleman helping us put the tuxedo together for my FH (he's the only one in a white dress shirt, the groomsmen have black, which makes it easy too, haha)... he asked about the colour of my dress, and he made his best suggestion based on what shirt works 'best' for most ivory dresses.

It doesn't need to match perfectly, and it never will... as long as you're not getting him a stark white dress shirt with your ivory dress, you're fine. Do NOT get him a creamy coloured shirt, it will not photograph well, and may make your groom look 'off'. Just a nice, regular, not-super-white, white dress shirt... lol.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't think that it would be too much of a difference but now that you mention it I have an ivory gown as well.... As of right now he should be wearing white but I'll be following this discussion to find out how big of a deal it really is....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics