Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jillian
Frequent user September 2022 Ontario

Golden hour photos

Jillian, on January 3, 2022 at 12:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7
If the sunsets at 7:10pm at our location, one hour before that, 6:10pm is the golden hour, but when do you take pictures? At 6:10pm or a bit before, say 6:00pm-6:15pmish? Trying to work it into our timeline

7 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 12, 2022 at 09:47
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our sunset photo was taken around 7:10 about and it was beautiful. You may want to see when it will happen and take a few minutes to go out for your alone shots. We did go out during the dinner time though we didn't mind the photographer wanting this from us. I hope this is the inspiration you are looking for. We didn't even have this part of our day schedule.

Golden hour photos 1

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can google map your venue and look at it from satellite view. Depending on which direction the building or trees are in relation to your preferred spot, you can pick a time based on that. For us, our building is on the western edge of the property with all the outdoor parts east of the structure so taking photos too close to sunset would result in a ton of shadows and super dark photos without much detail. With that in mind, we planned for a different spot where the light would look better (and got eaten alive by mosquitos but totally worth it!)

Golden hour photos 2

• Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the suggestion and advice! We are two provinces away from our venue but I could always just ask them how the sunset is.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It also depends on location. A spot with a lot of tall structures like trees and buildings in the way, you'll want it earlier. But if you're in a vast open field, you can swing closer to sunset as it'll allow you to see the sun coming down part way in the horizon.

I would visit your venue and see which way the sun sets and how it points the light.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely talk to your photographer but we also timed it on a nice clear day 😅 we took the sunset time and about an hour before watched when the best lighting was and used that timing haha.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would honeself talk to your photographer about this. They would know the best answer.
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours is at 7:19pm so This was just my thought , I haven’t talked to my photographer yet. But I was thinking we leave to go take sunset photos at 6:45pm because it is a little bit of a walk to get to the spot and gives my photographer time to get ready and get some good photos because he’s a pretty new photographer he hasn’t done many weddings..
    so just keep in mind how long it will take to get to the spot, and if you need to get extra shoes to walk there , if you need to get someone to help you with your bustle.. but probably best to ask your photographer what they think will work best!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics