Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jess
Curious October 2020 Ontario

Going to final fitting alone?

Jess, on September 5, 2020 at 21:46 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8
Is it odd to go to the final fitting alone? I may not have anyone willing to go with me as people don’t want to make the 45 min drive to the seamstress.

I will have a bustle and my seamstress did recommend I bring someone along to the final one in a couple of weeks to show them how to do it but it may not be possible. I am just worried that if I go alone I will have issues on the day of trying to get the bustle on properly - just extra stress I don’t need right now.
What do you guys think? Will I be okay alone or should I try and make sure someone can come?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Jess, on September 6, 2020 at 16:57
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for this! I think I’ll have to find out ok how easy or how complicated mine is and hopefully it’s easy to do and remember!
  • Kailey
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Kailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to my final fitting alone as covid rules restricted anyone but me in the tiny shop. I had the seamstress do the bustle and talk me through it and than with my dress hung up show me again. My MOH came by on the weekend and I showed her with my dress hung up. My bustle is very easy the seamstress just showed us anyway that we don't have to worry about it falling off the button during the night. Hopefully we can remember as the wedding was moved to the following year.
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Amelia! Hopefully I can convince someone! I actually have no idea how simple or complicated my bustle will be. I have my second fitting this Friday so I will ask my seamstress.
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Kelsie. I’m just worried that we won’t be able to figure it out on my wedding day lol. So ideally I really want someone there and your experience confirms why.

And yes super disappointed no one wants to be there and support me for this.. but quite frankly my entire wedding planning has been like this so I can’t say I’m surprised. Hopefully I’ll be able to convince someone!

Hopefully it will all turn out okay. If I could just do it all on my own I would lol
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would definitely have someone there so they know how to do the bustle.

My mom came to my final fitting but unfortunately it had to be taken in more so my mom actually ended up going back to the dress store alone to get my dress and learn how to do the bustle. A few weeks later I went to my moms house, put on my dress and she did the bustle with me in it - the first time took us almost an hour - my dress is a big pain!
    Point is, definitely have someone there to learn to do it because it can be super tricky!
    Like some else said - make a day of it. 45 minutes to me isn’t far - I moved and my dress place is now about an hour and a half from where I live - it’s worth it to see the dress!
    I hope this works out for you! I’m sorry you’re dealing with this added stress.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mine is easy to bustle, but trying to explain it to my friends when I tried the dress on a few weeks ago was interesting. Especially because I couldn't reach/see to help. I kept telling them that they were looking for a clear button near my butt, and they looked everywhere but my butt.

I hope the day isn't too stressful for you! Maybe trade taking someone to lunch for taking yourself to a massage or mani/pedi!
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve already offered to pay for lunch afterwards and also for gas If they wanted to meet me there but no one wants to come. To be honest I’m kind of hurt that my own mother and maid of honour aren’t willing to come. They think it’s not necessary for them to be there.

Your idea of having the seamstress film it is a great idea! I have a feeling that will end up happening - filming it is good so I won’t have to try and remember in my head and then have to try and explain it to someone else!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it's adding extra stress I would see if someone can come. Make an event of it, buy them dinner or drinks after as a thank you.

If you have to go alone ask if the seamstress can videotape her doing it with your phone. If they have an assistant who can that is even better!
    I'm going to mine alone, mostly because I want the dress to be a surprise. Even though people saw it when I bought it I hope they forgot a bit and it can feel new and exciting on our wedding day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics