Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cathrine
Devoted April 2018 Ontario

Giving Tips

Cathrine, on February 22, 2018 at 15:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Who do you give tips to at the wedding ceremony/reception?

Our venue has gratuity built into the price, but who else do you customarily tip?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on February 28, 2018 at 10:33
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto to this! If someone owns their own business then they shouldn't get tipped (since they are most-likely being well compensated), but a tip is our way of showing extra appreciation for a job well done (especially if it's just an employee!).

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Valid point. I think the tips are only for employees, like tipping a waiter at a restaurant.

• A
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Alisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why would you tip at all?

They are providing a service to which you are paying.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had our wedding on private property and we tipped the caterer and his staff, the hair and makeup artist who came and that's it. Our photographers were a gift and therefore covered and we had all of our music on an iPod so no DJ.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue also has the gratuity built in for servers, bartenders, caterers, DJ florist etc as they're all in house.

The only one I can think of that we will be tipping is the limo driver.

Our wedding is open bar but usually when that's the case some guests will leave the bartenders a little extra as well since they're not paying for drinks (I know we always do when we go to open bar weddings) and a lot of our crowd works in the restaurant industry.

I plan on getting a thank you gift afterwards (possibly a nice bottle of wine or spirits) for our coordinator

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I read online that photographers should get something smaller like $100 or something. Service 18% of bill.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well said.

Also, if a vendor owns their own business and they do an excellent job, a small gift is appropriate to give in lieu of a monetary tip.

Just good to remember to budget for tipping and factor it in!
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the only ones we will tip will be the servers, if they do an extraordinary job. Even though the grat is included in our price...but sometimes a little bonus is nice. All our other vendors run their own company/business so I'm not worried about tipping them since 98% of the money will go into their own pockets.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't tip anyone since e were on our last dollar.
  • Kris
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good to know!

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Before tipping, check that nothing else has gratuity included. Our limo and catering included gratuity. You don't want to double tip.

We are going to tip our bartenders. Our dj is a friend so we won't be tipping him everyone else owns their own business so we won't be tipping.

I own my own business, so I don't feel bad not tipping the actual business owner. We price accordingly so we make a proper salary. Most employees rely on their tips.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that custom dictates if the person is not a business owner, then you tip.

We tipped our bartenders, DJ, and limo driver since they weren't business owners and they provided excellent service.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics