Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Frequent user October 2017 Ontario

Gift registry vs. cash

Laura, on May 24, 2017 at 13:04 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7

So my FH and I were discussing doing a registry for the bridal shower/wedding and I've heard from a ton of my friends that they didn't do one and instead just asked for cash. I know that my Grandmother and a few others prefer to give physical gifts as opposed to cash, so who am I to say no to that. We were contemplating doing one small registry and using this for both the shower and wedding, or just using it for the shower.

I guess what I'm asking is do people still do registry's or just hope for cash these days? If it's the latter, how the heck do you word that on the invitation?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on May 25, 2017 at 13:54
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You're absolutely right Michelle and I know I have a few friends who are in a tight situation and would feel this way. I could care less what we get, I just want the people I love there...but I also know that they would never just show up without a gift of some kind. So I will definitely do a small registry with affordable items on it. Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

• Michelle
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    These are such cute poems! It makes a potentially controversial situation sound a lot less of an issue!
    If your hesitant though I would still create a small registry to go along with the cute poem.
    I know when I was in university I was seriously tight budgeted, so I couldn't afford to give a lot of cash. I felt cheap only giving a card with a small amount of money, so I preferred to go the way of a gift as it seemed less obvious that I was broke. Sometimes people are embarrassed to admit they can't afford much and would rather try to discreetly give what they can, then have the couple open a card with a small sum of money and get a bad impression.
    Good luck!
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 2 registries as I am having 2 bridal showers and the wedding. We have told a lot of people in my family and the members of the wedding party that we would much prefer cash anyways so the word can spread around without sounding rude to other people. We only made the registries for more traditional people and they are more for the bridal showers. Most people give cash gifts now a days anyways and so we are just hoping people will bring cash instead.

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been reading articles and other sites and you're totally right, people are very adamant about not asking for cash and basically make it sound like you're a terrible person if you do LOL

I agree, small registry on the few small items that we may still need or want to replace and people will take the hint that cash is best!

• Loni
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Loni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Fiance and I are in the same boat - lived together for 5+ years, we don't need gifts. So i've been wondering about this too, and have done a lot of research. Apparently it's poor etiquette to ask for cash in any way. (If you read The Knot's etiquette forum, they're insanely passionate about this Smiley amazing seriously, its SCARY over there lol). What's suggested to do is exactly what you've said. Make a very small registry for the few people who are more traditional, and people will kind of get the picture that you're looking for cash when they see that you aren't registered for much. This is what we're going to end up doing. In all honesty, I think it's pretty standard to give cash nowadays anyways. I can't remember the last time I went to a wedding and even looked at their registry haha.

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for sharing. Both great ideas! Smiley smile

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am asking for cash because my FH and I are in our 40's and have a well established household and don't need anything. If we needed to replace things or didn't have household things then I would do a registry but we really don't. I have been googling and have found a few that I like to include in the invitations. These are the 2 I am considering:

1. We’ve been together for a while

And have a lovely home

There really aren’t too many things

That we don’t already own.

So please don’t be offended

And please don’t think we’re brash

But if your thoughts were on a present

We would much prefer the cash.

The choice is really up to you

And we would just like to say

That the best gift that you could give us

Is your presence on our day!