Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Getting your marriage licence in Alberta

Stephanie, on May 8, 2018 at 00:52 Posted in Alberta 0 1

Hey all!

My fiance and I recently applied for our marriage licence so I thought I would give you a break down of how it works in Alberta.

There was a form to fill out with our names, address, place of birth, parents names and places of birth.

Then, we met with a registry agent. We had to show photo ID. She filled out the information on the computer and we had to double check spelling. Then, we were asked if we wanted to be be sworn in or affirm for the affidavit. We read the affidavit which stated we were not related, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or under duress. Then signed it.

We were also asked if we had been married before (neither of us have been) and if we were getting married within 90 days in the province of Alberta.

We then paid $71.50 and she handed over the licence. We were told not to bend or fold it and to give it to our officiant. (I'm from Edmonton. I have heard prices may vary by city)

That's the process! My fiance's mom had told us that when she went, over 40 years ago, they had to give a blood sample. My fiance asked about that while we were there and she said they stopped that about 20 years ago and now do the affidavit, but that it was used to be make sure you weren't related!

1 Comment

Latest activity by Gina, on May 8, 2018 at 16:50
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great to know! Thanks for posting!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics