Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
VIP April 2019 British Columbia

Getting married on a holiday.

Leah, on June 11, 2018 at 11:44 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
We’re getting married on Easter weekend 2019.

It’s a destination weekend celebration, with a welcome/rehearsal dinner on Good Friday, the ceremony and reception on the Saturday, and a light goodbye activity (tbd) on Easter Sunday.

We’re planning on giving the younger guests easter baskets or something easter related.

This is also a sentimental weekend for my family so it has extra feels associated with it and we’ve got support from our parents to go ahead with it.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has gotten married on a holiday and how you accommodated for that. Many of my family members are religious so that will play a factor, I’m sure, but most are also open to the idea of acknowledging the “reason for the season” in other, less dogmatic ways (ie church service).

Thanks in advance for sharing. 👍🏾😊

12 Comments

Latest activity by Helga, on June 15, 2018 at 08:27
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's awesome!! A way to make the holiday even more special! My fiancé and I got together on Christmas Eve so Christmas is even more special for us (also the date he proposed!)
    We wouldn't be able to get married on Christmas Eve or Easter due to religious reasons in the church. BUT! Our wedding date lands on a feast day within the church which my FMIL is excited about and I am now too! Makes it a bit extra special!
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If the kids find the bottles then they will be fun and entertaining and then go right to sleep. If the adults find the chocolate they will get sugar high and then go right to sleep. You can't lose. Have fun with it!

• Leah
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re not having wedding favours so this could totally be a thing...the very idea of it excites me. (But we’ll be sure to distinguish the adult hunt from the child hunt...or just give separate baskets...either way. Good times all around.)
  • Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

On behalf of the adults, we like to search for those little airplane bottles...... LOL

• Leah
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agreed re the family activities - that’s exactly the plan.

And yes - our ceremony/reception venue is a botanical garden and has confirmed that they’re aware that it’s the holiday weekend. Thanks!
  • Leah
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love it!
    Great idea! Thanks!
  • Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a great holiday to pick, lots to be thankful for that year and it will make for a neat ongoing holiday. Since it isn't going to always fall on your anniversary, it'll be like 2 celebrations in one week. We had our first date the Friday night of Thankgsiving, the restaurant was even serving an amazing gourmet turducken meal, so we have a little extra joy and thankfulness in our hearts that holiday each year knowing we spent our first holiday together on day one.

• Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG you can do a wedding themed adult egg hunt, along with something more traditional for the kiddies...

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you already finalized/gotten commitment from your ceremony space? I know there was a bride that was supposed to get married on Easter weekend, and their church confirmed, and then "realized later" that it was Easter, and backed out... many churches won't accommodate weddings that weekend (if you are getting married in a church). I would confirm this 100% before moving forward...

But I love the idea of the baskets for the kids. Also, because people are giving up a long weekend that is normally spent with family, perhaps have some "activities" planned (have local family members host a lunch, or acitivity, or trip to a park/etc....)... you don't necessarily have to attend, if you have pre-wedding errands to run... but it gives out of town guests something to do.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married on thanksgiving this year. We also cleared it with parents first to see if they were ok with it. Not sure if we’ll do anything additional to acknowledge it other than constantly let people know how thankful we are that they travelled far and wide to come celebrate this day with us. It actually worked out in our favour cause now some guests are more likely to be able to make it as they have the extra day to travel. And a few guests have already said they are so happy they don’t have to do the cooking this year.

I love the idea of little Easter baskets for kids. It’s a nice little touch and I’m sure they’ll all love it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics