Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tenessee
Newbie October 2021 Ontario

Getting married at the church, pushing reception?

Tenessee, on March 16, 2021 at 21:23 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7
Hey Brides,

Just wanted to get some peoples opinions on what to do about my wedding day. It’s planned for October 2, 2021. We are getting married at my church and then our reception will follow at our venue. Due to the restrictions we were thinking of no matter what getting married that day, but pushing our reception to spring of 2022. We want to be inside and that puts us at a limit of 50, but masks and social distancing is still mandatory (even though dancing is allowed?? I’m not sure how that will work). Is anyone else doing something similar to this?
Basically- do you think this is a good plan? Do you think things will be looking up by then for a reception and restrictions won’t be so bad? Also if we do push it- what are some ideas for celebrating after our church wedding? We were thinking a potluck for our close family at my parents house... I’m not sure I’m thrilled about that idea but we’d like to be money conscious so booking out a smaller venue doesn’t feel right.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on April 6, 2021 at 14:43
  • Emily
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I just made the decision to get married on our original date and push the reception back to next year. I'm glad to hear that other couples have gone this route. I'm wondering about having a backyard BBQ to save money and avoid paying for a liquor license/smart serve caterer at our venue's reception hall.

• Colleen
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Colleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married May 1st at our church with 10 people (me, my fiancé, my parents, my sister, his mom, his two best friends, my photographer and our pastor) and then pushing my big reception to May 2022. We were torn too at first about what we could do to celebrate without breaking the bank and we landed on going out to a nice restaurant all together afterwards. We basically booked a few tables (since most places only sit four together now) and have a small cake that the restaurant is letting us bring in to cut instead of ordering dessert.

I didn’t want to put pressure on my parents or my future mother-in-law to have to cook and host something after the ceremony, so we thought this was our best option. I’m honestly really excited for it and I feel like it will be a great way to still celebrate but not have to pay for a whole second reception venue.
  • Niki
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

After postponing twice my fiance and I are going through with our June 6th, 2021 ceremony no matter what. We already postponed our reception to April 2022 so we are just having our ceremony. We are hoping restaurants will be open to host a small intimate dinner, not too expensive and not too fussy. This is our plan right now but waiting on restaurants to open to plan this. I think having a potluck is a great idea and its at least doing something to celebrate your special day! Having something after our reception is important me to, even if its just going to my parents backyard as well, I just want to be able to toast to our marriage with some champagne, our parents and bridal party and also have some food! Our big party will have to wait but thats okay.

As for October, it's soo hard to tell how things will be which is the frustrating part. I would wait it out a little longer before you move your reception and also consider where you are (Im in Toronto where we are the last to move forward) if youre not in as much of a hotspot you may be okay to host your 50 people indoors. I think no matter what, for the next few years weddings will have to deal with some kind of restrictions before weddings really get back to how they used to be

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pushing the reception to April 2022 and platters for the family may be a solution to work with for the time being. Your Anniversary can be celebrated with the guest list wanted.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

BBQ would be nice.

I don't know about "no restriction dancing" considering even the Government of Ontario's website on the framework specifically states for Green Zone "Dancing, singing and performing music is permitted, with restrictions" and "Face coverings required except when eating or drinking only." And considering "Night clubs only permitted to operate as restaurant or bar," I highly doubt you're allowed a pre-pandemic style dance party. Last thing you want is for you to get in trouble because the venue gave you bad info.

• Tenessee
    Newbie October 2021 Ontario
    Tenessee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking take out too, or my parents offered up a big bbq too which would be pretty good to feed just our immediate families and our grandparents!

Our venue is in Stoney creek so we are allowed to do no restriction dancing according to my venue who just emailed me today to give me the breakdown. But that is only if that area is in green, but even yellow is permitted. Orange and red and a no no to dancing!
    I think the best course of action is pushing the reception. My head says yes, but my heart is saying no because one day verse two is better but atleast I could wear my dress twice!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd rather do take out than a pot luck. I would hate having to deal with making something to feed a family the night before or day of my wedding.

As for dancing, Halton Public Health specifically states:

Dancing among guests is not permitted. However, the couple’s dance and their parents (e.g., fatherdaughter, mother-son dance) can occur. Hired performers are permitted to dance provided they maintain physical distancing from guests.

So if having more than 50 people and being able to dance is a deal breaker for your wedding, then you should push the reception. Tons of people have been doing that all through 2020 and a lot in 2021 as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics