Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

O
Beginner June 2020 Alberta

Getting a bus for the ride

Oribel, on April 13, 2018 at 20:29 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 10
I’m really set on this one place for the ceremony but it’s about 45 minutes away from where I live and although it’s like travelling across the city and I don’t think it’s a big deal my fiancée doesn’t like the idea of it being too far and some people having to pay money to Uber or taxi their way there.

is 30-44 minutes of a drive too long from the ceremony to the reception? Would it help if we had a bus for those that couldn’t drive or are from out of town?

Maybe have the buss take people from one spot to the ceremony and then go straight to the reception?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Brenna, on April 21, 2018 at 01:01
  • Brenna
    Beginner March 2018 Alberta
    Brenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you'd be fine asking them to make plans ahead of time and you can offer to help arrange some transportation with other guests.
    I wouldn't worry about providing transportation for only a few guests who are complaining. Someone will always complain about something. It's not your job to please them on this occasion; it's about you and your hubby to be for this day Smiley smile

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah in that case I think people will find a way, I’ve had to travel from ceremony to reception spaces and always just made a plan before I went. People will figure it out like you said car pool and what not, especially if it’s just a couple of his friends!
  • O
    Oribel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    And yes I agree it is my day and my wish to have it at this place. The reception will be in calgary and mostly everyone lives here or stays with family for those from out of town. Maybe I’m just worrying too much about it since a few family members have said it’s sort of far.
  • O
    Oribel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really don’t want to spend the extra money on that. I know it’s just a couple of his friends but they can carpool or we can help find someone to carpool them if they are willing. I’m sure friends and family would be open to helping that way and save us money. And I’m not sure how ceremonies work but I never remember alcohol being there for the ceremony!? So drinking and driving shouldn’t be a problem.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some sort of transportation is really nice and will prevent drinking and driving and is also less stressful for your guests. They get to have a good time and not worry about how they get home. It also means that there won't be any parking issues at either the ceremony or reception location and less chances of people getting lost.

We had transportation arranged for our wedding as it was 20 minutes away from the hotel most people were staying at for the weekend. We had 1 pick up time at the hotel before the wedding and 2 pick up times in the evening.

• Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a great option! It will also reduce the risk of anyone drinking and driving!

Maybe offer a pick up/ drop off spot? Some bus transportation companies will even give you the option of 2 pick up & drop off times in the evening. The only downfall for the guests that take the bus is that they wont be on their "own schedule". So either they love it or hate it, and if they hate it then they can take their own vehicle!

• Kristina
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue is about 40 minutes outside of town and it's in the middle of nowhere really so we are offering a bus and know our guests appreciate it. 90% of our guests are from out of town so it is basocally a destination wedding. As a bit of a cost compromise we have only selected 1 time for buses to travel so if people want to leave earlier they would have to take a cab but we made that clear on website ahead of time.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd definitely suggest some sort of transportation. Our guests are traveling an hour but the venue is both ceremony and reception but we will set us a shuttle from the hotel to the venue for guests staying the night. Contact all transportation services and get as much quotes as you can.
  • Brenna
    Beginner March 2018 Alberta
    Brenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Two of my girlfriends had to travel approx 30 minutes.
    The first one was about a 30 minute drive from the ceremony to reception site. People just carpooled to the reception.

The second one, her whole wedding and reception was approx. 45 minutes away from where she lived. People knew in advance and were able to co-ordinate their drives to the venue.
    If you feel the need, and it fits your budget, you could offer something. However, it is your day. The ones who are meant to be there will be there. Have your wedding in a spot you know you will enjoy.

Hope it all works out!

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that’s a great option, it could be pricey for you guys but if you know for sure that lots of guests would need the transportation I would book one. Really just depends on your guests situation (and your budget) whether lots would have to pay for their transportation there or not. If you don’t think a lot of people would need that I wouldn’t worry about it. I know some cab companies in my city work with certain venues and give discounts for weddings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics