Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
British Columbia

Get Me a Box of Wine! .... I Mean Wine Box...

Brittany, on October 24, 2018 at 17:09 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 20

So my FH and I are not religious... we don't have "readings" or "poems" or anything extra we feel we need to have for our wedding ceremony... Plus my FH is nervous to speak in public, so he's asked not to do personal vows (we can personalize the repeat-after-me ones)...

However! I think I want a ceremony that is sliiightly longer than 10 minutes... So I was thinking of having a Wine Box Ceremony. I've done a little research (as I'd never heard of it before)... and apparently the Bride & Groom bring a pre-written love letter to the other person, to be placed in a box, along with a bottle of wine, and on your one year anniversary, you open the box, the wine, and you read each other's letters. Considering we are saving the top tier of our cake, I'm very much looking forward to some wine and cake while reading love letters...

My questions would be, has anyone done this? Did it work well? What kind of box did you use? Any suggestions?

What other unique ceremony features are you adding for non-religious ceremonies?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on October 25, 2018 at 18:49
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is actually great advice, thank you!

And the bag idea for the rings makes a lot more sense... I was picturing a ring dropping and rolling across the floor... haha.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love the PB&J idea, super cute!!! But my mind immediately screams "NOOOOO" at the thought of mixing wines... haha! Smiley laugh

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, that would be super cute! Except after 6 years together, I don't think it would take that long to crack open the box! LOL.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my goodness that is the cutest thing ever!!! Almost want to get prego just to have a kid to do that Smiley tongue

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think its a cool idea. I wish my FH drank wine! hahahaa
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/****/personalized-engraved-wine-box-with-lock?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=love letter wine box&ref=sc_gallery-1-4&plkey=d96d4b10ccf5655f5432fb78feda024c7ce5c6bf:****&col=1

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My officiant said a couple did this at their wedding. due to a back story of neither ever having a pb&J (crazy I know). their coordinator had cut the bread into a large heart. they each took 1 bite, went back to the ceremony. well together they had 3 little kids. and one of the kids grabbed the sandwich and shared the sandwich with their siblings. so it brought the whole family together.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I saw something similar to this, but instead of the first anniversary, it could be the first fight as a married couple where you open it up during a argument, pour a glass of wine and read the letters to remind you why you got married and what really matters.

I'm in the same boat where we aren't having a religious ceremony, readings/poems, or long vows (we'll do the repeat after me vows but we won't have lengthy ones). But I would like to so something like the wine box! I feel like the unity candles/sand are all over now and others aren't me and my FH but I this one!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think with ring warmings, they usually go in clothe bags with some tissue paper so a few slip ups aren't too bad. we aren't doing that one so i'm not 100% sure how it would work, sorry.

as someone who loves talking about wine too much, an easy tip for a wine that ages a bit better is picking something that comes from a warmer climate and that had a good 2016/2017 year, depending on what you're getting and how much you want to spend. california i think had warm summers both years so their grapes will have lots of sugars, which makes them better at developing over the time. viognier and sauvignon usually bottles for about 4 years, so those are pretty easy drinking options that are hard to turn to vinegar over a year.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was considering doing something like this but I also made up my own idea of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich right then and there and then both eating it Smiley smile lol very childish and very us. If not that then having 2 well paired wines mixed together and then cork it well and box that - joining of two wines to make one Smiley smile kind of like the sand ceremony but with wine.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a first of something new. Interesting idea to take upon.

We went with a poem to remeember my husbands parents' honour in presence.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve heard of this! But for your first fight. Then you can read how much your partner loves you and drink wine to make up! I think it’s a neat idea for a ceremony.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooooh I like the ongoing anniversary tradition!!! Super cute.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally want to do this! Our officiant gave us the idea! My FH is pretty handy so I can prob get him to make us one for fairly cheap
    another great idea that our officiant said is on the first anniversary to write another letter to open on your second anniversary and have that be a yearly thing. Then you obv have to put another bottle of wine in the box!
  • Shannon
    Beginner October 2019 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never heard of that! That's such a cute idea!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh that's such a good idea!! I've heard of some of these... but ones like the unity candle or sand ceremony I feel I've seen a lot. I agree that the wine box ceremony is a little more underplayed so far... so it will be more unique.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, for sure! We are white wine drinkers... So I need to be really careful about getting a good quality one that won't go off in 1 year.

I like the idea of a ring warming! Although all I'd need is for someone to drop one and it turning into a debacle... Haha.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Also, my officiant has this cool website for all her couples. She gives you a special login and everything, super cool and there is a section specifically on special ceremonies!

Special CeremoniesGet Me a Box of Wine! .... I Mean Wine Box... 1

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am also considering a wine box ceremony! I think it's a cute idea and we are also not religious or anything so our ceremony will be kinda short. We are writing our own vows but we agreed to keep them sweet, short and to the point. But I still want something cute and different to the ceremony and the wine box is something a lot of people haven't heard of so I think our guests will be really interested in it.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've heard about people doing this and I think it's a great idea! Pick a wine that is meaningful for you (like one being served at your wedding) or something that is recommended to open after a year or 2, so you don't accidentally open a bottle of vinegar.

We're having a non-religious hand-fasting ceremony, and we're also doing 7 blessings, which might be a jewish thing but its not explicitly religious and there's no references to higher powers or god or anything.

Another good non-religious activity is a ring-warming where you have members of the audience pass your wedding rings up and sort of instill good wishes into them.

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven’t done this but it sounds like an awesome idea!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics