Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stefanie
Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan

Gathering size/how many guests

Stefanie, on October 21, 2020 at 16:22 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 39
I am curious, how many are you allowed for a wedding in your province currently?

Are you making guest a, b, c lists with possibility of different numbers for next year?
How are you handling this?

We are Sask and our numbers are 30 right now for weddings.

39 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on November 5, 2020 at 01:50
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm going to close this discussion because the new rules recently announced by the Ontario government makes everything stated about those sets of rules moot. Not to mention, what's applicable to one province is not for another.

I suggest that any discussion about gathering limits in the future be directed to groups based in your province. So if you want to talk about gathering limits in the Greater Toronto Area, post it in the Ontario group. If you want to discuss gathering limits in Vancouver, post it in the BC group. Etc etc.

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our ceremony is a vineyard and because it is staffed it is legal. We confirmed the legalities of it and booked it since the latest changes to our area were made stricter. I think it’s really important for people to do research on each individual place to make sure it’s all legal just in case a place falls under an umbrella term and actually isn’t legal
  • Brooklyn
    Curious February 2021 Ontario
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are correct. AND you cannot combine indoor and outdoor... if you do, you are subject to indoor limits.

• Brooklyn
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just so you know.... vendors don't count towards your limits...

• Brooklyn
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Eevn though its staffed, it has to be in a church or banquet hall otherwise the private gathering limits apply

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Gatherings may have a slight increase given the circumstances change. Guest lists can be helpful to keep numbers intact for venue limits and added more in time when it happens.

• Katrina
    Newbie September 2021 Manitoba
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in Winnipeg Manitoba and right now we are currently only at 5 Person limits 😔 My wedding is not until next September and I was feeling quite confident, however lately I’ve been getting nervous. I will probably make some sort of plan b guest list. My wedding size is about 130 and I would be able to be okay with even 100 person limit. Anything under that and due to my large family size, I would start having to cut immediate family members which could get difficult Smiley sad
  • Trish
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Right now, we are restricted to 25 outside and 10 inside.

We're planning our wedding for September 2021, and our total count is 45 incl. vendors. I'm hopeful that the restrictions will ease enough by then that 45 isn't a problem, but we've already had the conversation about who would ultimately not be invited if we were limited to 25 guests. I would've been happy to elope, but it's important to my fiancé to have his immediate family present, and I feel like it would cause unnecessary strife to have his family present and not include mine. While we would love to celebrate with friends AND family, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in Ontario and our wedding is staffed so it is allowed to be 50 indoors atm and 100 outdoors. But we aren’t in a hotspot. If it’s not staffed it’s much lower. But I’m sure the numbers will fluctuate throughout winter. I’m not going to stress about numbers going up and down till spring when we send out invites. But we still will include that it’s subject to change because of the virus
  • Natalie
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Currently allowed 10 indoors, and 25 outdoors - Toronto.

• Kim
    Newbie December 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi! Do you have a link where I can find this?
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ontario... we moved our wedding to Oct of 2021 and haven’t made any changes as of yet. So right now we’re are still planning for 175 ish
  • J
    Beginner July 2021 Alberta
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We planned for 125 guest at our wedding next summer ..... We know the protocols will still probably be in place for our wedding but we are hoping for the best ....... We already said that if we can't invite the people we want by next year we might as well elope and come home and have a party in our backyard with our close family and friends it's crazy hard to think about not having the people you want there but sometimes going with the flow is your only option
  • H
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi!
    We’re hoping for June, not sure about a backyard wedding as we have a venue booked. But as far as your guest list I have three potential lists lol. A) the guest list we would have with no restrictions. B) if we are allowed to have 100 outside (seems to be the most promising option) and I plan to send out invites in February/March, so then people who decline I can send out an invite to somebody else, because there will be no wasted spots lol. C) is if we’re allowed 50 which I have just opted to not look at too greatly because it’s barely our aunt and uncles, cousins had to get cut. That’s my plan! I have no idea what will happen between now and then. I’m very cautiously optimistic for at least the 100 outside. If we find out something has changed close to the day, I hope guests will understand it’s not our fault.
    Best of luck!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The point is, you are in your backyard which counts as an unmonitored and private social gathering. It matters not if your region is in Stage 3 or Stage 2. Whatever exemptions you read about venue's staff and crew not counting towards gathering limits do not apply because you're not on a monitored business setting. If you're having a gathering at home, it's 10 inside and 25 outside - period. If your event takes place both inside and outside, then you have to keep it at 10.

If your 25 count includes vendors and you are outside, then you're fine.
    I'm not saying all this to put a damper on people's plans or be critical of anyone's decision. But it would majorly suck if you break the rules and get a $10,000 fine (and all your guests get a $800 ticket) due to misread information.

• Francesca
    Frequent user November 2020 Ontario
    Francesca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I live in Halton and is in stage 3. We won’t be having 100 people we have 25 with vendors. But we got notice that vendors are not included for wedding events specifically. People still should research their own regions is all Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm afraid you are very wrong. Ontario has placed gathering limits of 25 people max outdoor and 10 indoor across the entire province, regardless of stage. The stages of each region refer to what businesses are allowed to do, which your backyard is not.

See https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/58449/ontario-limits-the-size-of-unmonitored-and-private-social-gatherings-across-entire-province for reference:

"Unmonitored and private social gatherings include functions, parties, dinners, gatherings, BBQs or wedding receptions held in private residences, backyards, parks and other recreational areas.

The new limit on the number of people allowed to attend an unmonitored private social gathering across the province is:

• 10 people at an indoor event or gathering (previous limit of 50); or
    • 25 people at an outdoor event or gathering (previous limit of 100).

Indoor and outdoor events and gatherings cannot be merged together. Gatherings of 35 (25 outdoors and 10 indoors) are not permitted."

And I notice you're in Brampton, which is definitely in Stage 2, not 3. But regardless, your belief that 100 people are allowed in your wedding is very wrong.

• F
    Newbie September 2021 New Brunswick
    Fallon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Actually in NB you can have more than 50 :-) just have to be able to physically distance and keep record of all guests. Mask wearing is also now mandatory in the indoor space. The number 50 is only referenced for “uncontrolled” indoor gatherings (ie. no seating plans, no ability to physically distance and no contact log). Hope this helps :-)

Gathering size/how many guests 1

• Francesca
    Frequent user November 2020 Ontario
    Francesca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In Ontario vendors do not count for any events regardless if it's over the 10 or 25 persons number as they are hired workers. It's all over government websites as well. Even if it's at your house. Plus my region is in Stage 3 so we are actually allowed 50 indoors and 100 outdoors.

• Kimberly
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In Alberta we are allowed 100 for outdoor so I’m hoping by next summer it doesn’t decrease from that. I’m trying not to stress about it - whatever happens happens ! I’m sending out my save the dates soon- and will just invite my whole guest list (around 80 people). Only 50 allowed indoors for reception- trying not to worry about it but I had two ideas if it stays that way -have the reception outside or split up the reception and have like a brunch/lunch for half the guests, then the ceremony and then the other half for dinner. My fiancé is much better than me at not worrying so trying to follow his lead.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what we've done with the extra time. Thinking of the small things now since we're probably will have a small guest list and such. I hope so too. I'm crossing my fingers that everything for number wise stays the same by August.

• C
    Beginner August 2022 British Columbia
    Chantelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi,

In BC they allowed weddings of 50 people over the summer. That might be different now with our COVID cases rising.
    We are waiting until 2022 to get married so we can hopefully have more guests. We just got engaged this August.
    Hope that helps somehow!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The 30% capacity only applies to the ceremony, not a reception of any kind.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The way I see it is, unless I personally know and hang out with the family member's +1, he or she is not making the cut even if they're married to them or have been in a long term relationship with them. I've seen some family give flack to people for not inviting a distant aunt over a non-family member but at the end of the day, I am not prioritizing a random person I barely have a relationship (or in some cases no relationship) over a close friend when we're limited in our guest list.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Actually, vendors DO count toward these numbers, especially if you're in your backyard.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Is that Ontario as well?
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes absolutely. It could be up and down for awhile. So multiple lists seemed suiting lol.

Thank you! Best of luck planning to you as well!
  • Brooklyn
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If the wedding in on private property 10 inside 25 outside. If we have the wedding in a church building 30% room capacity. If we have it in a hall 50

• Cindy
    Frequent user May 2021 Alberta
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For now at least. With our COVID numbers getting higher each day, I am sure we will be reduced again so I will for sure start looking at the different guest lists.

I wish you all the best in your planning process. Smiley smile

• Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I figured the sooner we made the list and prepared myself the better. That way I have something to work with.

Your gathering sizes at least are pretty good to make work!
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is something I would have to check on. I can't recall seeing if vendors are included in our numbers here in Sask.
    Good idea to move outside to get that 15 more people.
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hopefully by then the numbers are closer to the 80-100 mark. I am being hopeful that we can get there by next summer. 🤞🤞
    50 at least isn't to bad for right now though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics