Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marianne
Newbie July 2024 British Columbia

Gap a few hours between ceremony and reception?

Marianne, on May 12, 2022 at 09:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
Hi there!
As like many of you out there, I'm currently planning for my wedding and looking to get opinions about having a gap-time between the ceremony and reception.

A little background, I'm Filipino and he is Indian and both grew up in Canada. We really want a multicultural wedding to show our different cultures (Filipino, Indian, Canadian) in our wedding by highlighting through the food and our clothing.
It's been a struggle trying to find a caterer who could do both filipino and Indian well. Somone suggested to us to try having one cuisine as a lunch meal and the other as a dinner. In between the ceremony and reception, not only would be taking photos but also changing outfits.

Here was a suggestion I was given:- morning ceremony 11am - light lunch until 1pm - photos + outfit change- reception dinner 5pm (@ a different venue)
I feel like a 4 hour gap between a ceremony and reception is a bit much. But the idea is we could do pictures and an outfit change. Reception we would be wearing a gown and suit; then reception a lehenga (indian wear) and barong (filipino wear) cultures in our wedding. We thought that the reception would be a time to celebrate our diff cultures and union. The gap time would allow time for pics and dress change but 4 hours is quite a lot of time.
Thoughts?
Ps. We were given this suggestion if we couldn't find a caterer who could do both foods and having to deal with 2 diff caterers might be a nightmare.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 19, 2022 at 14:13
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You two will be busy with your photo time as family/wedding party would be part of them. The reception change and couple shots will be your time alone at the venue. The guests will go do what they like outside or relax at the hotel/accommodations set on their time. We have had some weddings where timing has been set for hours in between and everyone meets up to go for swimming or lunch/snack/dinner (depending on the time) at resorts. You will be fine and if you need some food to be sent to the room to eat in between while getting changed, it will help since you haven't eaten anything in the few hours.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that is great and I also think that 4 hours is a fine if you are doing two locations.

This gives your guest time to go home or hotel and freshen up and do a wardrobe change, get in a little nap and then ready to enjoy the festivities. If you find 4 hours too long change it to 3. I'm sure both families would understand especially when there's photos and wardrobe change involved.

I really like the lunch option with one caterer and dinner a second caterer. Sounds like a great time and we will all be expecting a wedding invite ;P

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't worry at all!

• Marianne
    Marianne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Smiley smile
    I'm worried it wouldn't be well received but if it's not uncommon to have a timeline like this, maybe I shouldn't worry too much Smiley smile
  • Marianne
    Marianne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a good point. I didn't think k about that. If I go with this time line, it sound slide ill need an rsvp for lunch and dinner?

I don't think we'll be going for a Catholic wedding but I'd love to add some Filipino traditions to the ceremony like the cord, candle and veil. Though, I'm not how it would be received because it's not going to be held in a church.

• Marianne
    Marianne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's good to know! I was a worried it would be bad
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think having a gab in between isn't a big deal! I've been to many weddings where the ceremony was early afternoon and dinner at 6pm.

Just remember it's your wedding day! Do what you and your fiance want to do!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If most people live in the same city as the two venues, the gap won't be a big deal. And chances are, you'll likely get some people only attending the ceremony and lunch (ie family people with babies, elders) while others only attend dinner with the dance.

Are you having a Catholic wedding ceremony? If so, you're very likely going to have that gap anyway. At least with your plan, guests have the opportunity to join you for lunch.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been to many weddings with a few hour gap between the ceremony and reception. I feel like its actually pretty common for anyone who doesn't do a first look so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if the venue you pick is fairly central
  • Marianne
    Marianne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Carmel!

I'll admit we are still on the hunt for our venue. I'd say venues we are looking at are pretty central to where everyone lives. We have some folks in the city and others living out about 1 hr away. I'll admit I haven't attended many weddings (not since I was 5) so trying to figure out and plan is a struggle lol
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this is SOO COOL!!! Normally I'd say the gap sucks but you're giving guests a huge amazing experience. Is the venue central to where most people live or are staying? If so, that's easy for guests to go home or to the hotel for a few hours in between and change etc. I've been to two weddings with big gaps between the ceremony and reception. One we had to travel 1.5hrs to the hotel and reception space anyway (that kinda sucked) the other was central so a bunch of us just went back to my place I'm between. Personally, I'd be all for yours because of the experience and you're feeding people twice!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics