Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
VIP May 2019 Ontario

Fun Reception Ideas!

Stephanie, on April 24, 2018 at 12:23 Posted in Wedding reception 0 24

Hey Everyone!

Just trying to get some different of fun ideas to have during the reception! I like something a little different that's memorable for my guests!

I saw a fun idea today on facebook, a Fireball Shot Camera

Image from Youtube! Fireball Shot CameraFun Reception Ideas! 1

However I don't think the venue will allow a bottle to go around like this... but maybe kept at the bar???

What ideas does everyone have for little things to add to your day to make things more fun and memorable?

Thanks!

24 Comments

Latest activity by Cathrine, on May 2, 2018 at 13:11
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We put together a trivia game. Each table had a picture of a ship from a sci-fi show or movie. The seating chart also had images of these ships on it. Our guest were given entry sheets where they can put down the name of the ships at each table and what show/movie it is from. Highest score per table got the centre piece and then highest overall score won a prize. Our wedding favours were jars with popcorn kernals in it so the prize was a popcorn air popping machine.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking of glow sticks/necklaces for the dancing! Something to make things a bit more fun for everyone!

• Christine
    Curious September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the shoe game bouquet toss, garter, a kissing menu so people have to do funny things to get us to kiss we also are going to have glow sticks for the dance
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I spy game with disposable cameras and each table does one of the chosen different while standing. Choose random tables at times when unexpected
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I love this idea!!! I was debating the disposables at the tables but I think at the bar would be great!!!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I second this idea! Also a germaphobe so totally wouldn't wait to share a bottle with 50+ other people lol.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm with the germaphobes on the shared bottle but here's a cute idea - get a couple disposable cameras and leave them at the bar with a sign that says "Shotsies - take a selfie doing a shot!". The disposable camera ensures no one can delete their picture and having them at the bar makes sure guests will see the sign and their purpose.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They had their beer pong table set up beside the head table and then the DJ was next to it so it was a little squishy but eventually no one was really sitting at the tables near by so it got better but I can see what you mean. We’re tight for space as well we had to add onto our tent 🙈 I’m praying for nice weather so we can open the walls of the tent up on one side and maybe move some tables outside or something. Black jack would be so cool! Never seen that before haha
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah! I've been to a wedding where you had to stand up and sing a love song too to make them kiss! I loved the idea... however I found it only happened 3 or 4 times max? I think people can be too nervous to get up and start singing... at least before a number of drinks hahah! The dice is interactive without being TOO out there.

• Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah! That's why I think it'll be fun. We've seen some where the whole table has to sing a Disney or love song, or they have to show you the kiss they want you to do lol. I think it's a great way to engage the guests.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For the kissing game I was at a wedding where the Bride and Groom had a HUGE dice on on the dace floor that a guest could go up and roll, most of the sides of the dice would make the Bride and Groom kiss, but there were some sides that made the guest go up and give a member of the party a kiss on the cheek or they would have to do a dance hahaha!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thinking of a photobooth too and I love the Mirror idea! It's so neat!!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahahah! I love the paper plane idea too! Makes the wait and getting food a lot more fun for sure!

And yeah that's true! Our MC has always been good with making games maybe I can ask her to come up with one!

Mentioned too I love the Bride and Groom Shoe idea! Cute and fun! And easy!!

• Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're probably doing the shoe game and maybe a kissing game during reception. I know my family is super likely to try and clink the glasses, which is not allowed at my venue, so I'm going to make them do goofy things if they want my FH and I to kiss Smiley laugh
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly I was thinking about the germ thing too... But I LOVE the idea of just the wedding party in the limo or even during photos? hahah!

I've been looking at those games too, however since we're in a banquet hall I'm not sure if there would be enough room? Beer pong would be great... I kind of want to get a black jack table and print some fake money hahah!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahah! My fiance's favourite food is easily poutine... I'm pretty sure he wont even eat the dinner will just be waiting for the poutine to come out ahah!!

• J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What we are doing is during main course (or during dessert) there will be Irish dancers from my FMILs dance school. It represents his culture and my family will have fun watching it. We are looking into getting a mirror booth because it looks like fun. We won't have anything cool like a poutine station or a donught station, but we will be having a midnight buffet with lots of sweets and food. That's all we have for now.
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love the paper airplane idea haha I’ve been trying to think of a fun way to excuse tables for supper.
  • A
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was considering a game or two as well
    So far we just have the traditional garter and bouquet toss
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm having each table write us notes, date ideas, advice, etc and we will open them on a specific holiday. Each table will be a different holiday and what they write on will be determined by that day (for example, valentine's cards for Valentine's day, tools for labour day etc). Not sure how much fun it will be for the guests (some will like it more than others!) but it will be great for us to read later on!

I'm hoping my brother (the MC) will include a game or two as we both like games.

Also, for the order of tables, we are having each table make a paper airplane and the furthest will get to first for food.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love the go pro attached to the fire ball idea lol I seen this awhile ago and wanted to do it but then the germaphobe came out in me wondering if people would want to take a shot after someone they don’t know took one? I think it’d be hilarious maybe I’ll just do it for our wedding party in the limo or something haha
    I’ve seen some games that people are setting up these days that look fun, we went to a wedding with beer pong and the winners could challenge the newly weds to a game so I think we might do that!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg, my FH would be beyond jealous of your poutine station. I had to hide the page in our wedding package that offered that station at our venue Smiley laugh

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome thank you for those links!

I think you're right about the bottle at the bar it's a great way to keep track and make sure no one is going over board.

We are doing a poutine station! I have always thought that was a great idea for a late night snack!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My number 1 favourite for a reception is always the shoe game... I know it's not super original, but if the person running the game knows you guys, it can be very memorable and entertaining for your guests. I've seen it played a handful of times and I always enjoy it.

The shot camera could be fun... maybe keeping it at the bar would be a good idea, because then your bartender can also make sure that the same groomsman isn't coming back 4, 5 or 6 times? Haha.

Sometimes having unique food/sitting stations/areas can mix it up for guests as well. Depending on your friends/family, you could have a cigar bar, or photo booth, or games for the guests.

WeddingWire can help too:

How To Plan An Amazing Wedding Reception

Which Unique Activity Should You Have At Your Wedding?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics