Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Master October 2019 Ontario

Friends in Low Places

Allison, on July 9, 2019 at 14:14 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

So I think I've decided what to do with the 12 year old cousin, so here's a new problem:

I've been sitting on this for awhile, it's been bothering me for a few weeks now so I think I need to get this off my chest. Awhile ago (last October), I had a discussion about sharing our honeymoon with mutual friends who are married, called A and M. In that discussion, I mentioned that their marriage wasn't in the best place at the time and well, things haven't improved between them. My FH and I both notice it now when we hang out with them and between us, we agree that they are better off if they split up. They haven't separated or anything, but we think it's only a matter of time. They got into quite a fight when we last hung out together and we both feel awkward about reaching out again.

The problem is we have invited them as a couple and if they separate between now and our wedding, is there any way we should handle it? They won't know anyone else other than each other so if they end up splitting, should we give them plus ones? We'd probably sit them at different tables if this happened as well. Or should we stop overthinking it?

I feel like if I was in their situation, I'd feel awkward about splitting with my spouse, or attending a wedding with them while feeling bitter. I'm probably overthinking it right now and should just send the invitation and let them sort it out between them.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 16:02
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If they are still married when you send out invitations send one to both of them and let them figure it out. they may get better by then who knows!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I'm thinking - it isn't our place to worry about their marriage, especially at our wedding. We'll let them sort it out.

The honeymoon plans are just me and my FH. It was him suggesting they come along on the boat too, but they both felt weird about it so they declined.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think just give it some time and wait and see. At the end of the day it will really be their "issue" to sort out, as your friends. You should not have to worry about other people's marriages on your wedding Smiley smile If they are good friends, and they do separate, I imagine they will be adults and figure it out. I hope they can work it out though! I am assuming the honeymoon plans have changed though lol?

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I see what you mean! I hope if they are still "together" at the wedding, they'll suck it up and be civil.

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My venue is doing a seating chart but im not going to say "this person is going to be here" people can sit wherever their heart desires because they are going to want to get up and socialize ANYWAYS. hopefully you dont get a super last minute issue. just try and keep in contact with both of them as much as possible. chances are regardless of their situation they will just suck it up anyways. depends how ugly the split is

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not a fan of open seating, but I have until a week before the wedding to submit it to my venue, who's making the seating chart. As for plus-ones if they are separated, I agree with what you are saying - it adds a whole other layer of drama, especially if one brought one and the other didn't. If I seat them separately, I would put them with like-minded people.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, this rough patch has gone on for a while now, almost since we got engaged. (we're not the reason I swear lol!) For now, we're gonna treat it like they are fine and wait things out.

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe not having a seating arrangement might benefit you. that way if something goes wrong then you dont have to feel the heat between them and they arnt forced to sit together. as for adding plus ones i wouldnt because that can make things much worse.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It seems this couple is having a rough patch or road after their wedding. I know my husband and I did too in the beginning and words were exchanged.

Treat them as the couple they are sending them the invitation as 1. As mentioned about the month before you hear news they split up or go their way, seat them separately which allows less contact. They don't see eye to eye on things.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of doing. Unless I hear that they're separating this week, we'll send their invite as normal

• Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think anything can change. Send them out as normal and wait and see. I was thinking the other day how weddings can make things really awkward.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, it would be weird if we sent them separate invitations. They would also have to fly in, unless they take 2 days before and after off to drive. So getting a plus one that late in the game could be a problem since flights are ridiculously expensive after 6 weeks before the flight.

They're both stubborn so I can see them sticking it out for this, but it just sucks acting like things are ok when we both know they are not between them.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would wait it out and see- Send out the invitation as if it were normal- if they break up , closer to say a month before wedding give options of plus ones and seat elsewhere.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics