Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leandra
Newbie September 2025 Ontario

Friday Wedding - Pros? Cons?

Leandra, on June 25, 2023 at 15:14 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17
Hello all!

My fiancé and I have decided to have our wedding on September 12th, 2025, which lands on a Friday. But I keep having second thoughts. Our reasons for choosing a Friday are:
1) the guest minimum at our chosen venue is 80 on fridays and our list is currently at 111 (including us and wedding party). Accounting for people who may not come, we’re anticipating under 100 people.
2) honestly, it’s cheaper. Partially due to minimum guest count on a Saturday and price per person being slightly higher on a Saturday.
Almost all of our guests will be travelling from out of town, which means they’ll need accommodations and need to take time off. I feel guilty asking people to do that for us.
What are some pros and cons of a Friday wedding, in your experience either as a guest or host? Im so conflicted!

17 Comments

Latest activity by Kaitlin, on August 7, 2023 at 13:17
  • K
    Curious September 2021 Alberta
    Kaitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never been to a Friday wedding, but I had one! lol. September 10th, simply because we didn't want Sept 11th.

For us it was fine. The ceremony was the immediate family (10 pp) and we provided the accommodations (COVID sucks!) then a reception the following Saturday (8 days later, not recommended as the wedding package insurances will only cover 7 days, BS).

I work shift so no big deal what day of week it is. I have worked m-f before and honestly no big deal either. You can get a day off for someone you love, I really don't mind.

• Leandra
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh hey! I never see my (our) name anywhere haha. Yeah, I’m seeing people say that lately, that they like having the rest of the weekend to chill out.
  • Kelli
    Frequent user September 2024 Alberta
    Kelli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m so sorry you’re going through this but I’m so excited for you guys to share this special time together.
  • Kelli
    Frequent user September 2024 Alberta
    Kelli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pros: More availability
    Cheaper
    Cons: People may have to leave work /take time off
  • L
    Curious June 2024 Ontario
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ok first nice name!!! Hahahaha & second my fiancé and I are also getting married on a Friday! June 14, 2024! Honestly we chose that at first because the minimum on Saturdays at our venue was too high for us, and we loved the venue! But everyone I’ve talked to (guest wise) likes a Friday wedding because it gives people an excuse for a long weekend!
  • Barbara
    Beginner July 2023 Ontario
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Harry and I have decided to have our wedding on July 14th, 2023, which lands on a Friday. Harry wanted to give me a fairytale wedding after being in a coma and taken a stroke and not being able to walk or move. WHILE i WAS IN HOSPITAL HE ASK ME TO MARRY HIM, this is our second marriage we are both widow, I said yes little did we know I was going to hit with another bad medical report I have cancer and there no cure for me unless god gives me a miracle. so here we are today in short two weeks we will be married again. Our reasons for choosing a Friday are:
    1) the guest minimum at our chosen venue is 80 on Fridays and our list is currently at 104 (including us and wedding party). Accounting for people who may not come, we’re anticipating under 82 people.
    2) Honestly, it’s 1000 Dollars cheaper. Partially due to minimum guest count on a Saturday and price per person being slightly higher on a Saturday.
    A few of our guests will be traveling from out of town, which means they’ll need accommodations and need to take time off. I feel guilty asking people to do that for us.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly! Also, I saw that you mentioned Save the Dates. Definitely do this. We did in August of 2022 so they all had a year to plan before the big day. On the save the date all you have to put is the date and city the wedding is taking place. We also added a QR code of the wedding wire website with all the information necessary in regards to hotels, location, dress code, etc.

You can take a look at my website if you would like to get an idea of what to put Smiley smile

• Leandra
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! I’m a little worried with the school thing, too. A few of my immediate relatives are teachers and our youngest starts school the month we get married haha.
  • Leandra
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s reassuring! We’re about 6 hours from everyone so I’m assuming everyone will make a weekend out of it here too.
  • Leandra
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your input! I was thinking of sending out save the dates earlier than “normal” too, to give everyone ample time.
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also having out wedding on a Friday, we have the ceremony starting at 4 to give us time for a few photos outside before the sun sets. The people who want to come will make it work, perhaps send your RSVP's out a week or two early to allow people to book the time off.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is on a Friday! No one has RSVP no yet and everyone took time off to come to our wedding.

Since we are getting married in Banff, a lot of people love the idea the wedding is on the Friday because they have the rest of the weekend to explore Banff. Our families have never been so they are super excited to check everything out!

An other pro would be that usually, Fridays are cheaper than Saturdays.

All of our guests are travelling to our destination wedding and we have had no push back!

• Jackie
    Devoted September 2023 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is on Friday Sept 22nd. We picked it because it was cheaper and easier to find a date that wasn’t on a weekend. My fiancé is American so more than half of our invites are for people who have to travel to be there. So far we have had some people RSVP no because they have kids who are in school, but for the most part people seem totally fine with it, and a lot of them are excited to turn it into a longer trip and explore AB, somewhere they have never been. The local guests are excited for the day off work too! The people it’s important to have found a way to make it work. I wouldn’t look at it as “asking people to do that for you”. You’re getting married! And you’re inviting them to come celebrate with you! I’ve always been so happy/honoured when someone wants me to come to their wedding, it’s such a huge moment for them, and I’m always happy to do so. The last wedding I attended was on a Friday and we loved it.

So very long story short, I wouldn’t worry about this, go ahead and save some $$ on venue, weddings are expensive!
  • Nicole
    Beginner July 2023 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m having my wedding on a Friday (11 days from now!!) and not one person had complained about it being that day. I think it’s becoming more and more “normal” to have Friday weddings and people have been telling me they like it this way because they still have their weekend left after our wedding. I also think, most guests are happy to take some time off of work to attend a wedding for someone they care about. It was significantly cheaper for us to get married on a Friday which definitely played into our choice as well, not only was the venue less per person, but so too was the limo and florals!
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree that if someone was important enough to me I'd aim to make it no matter what day of the week. That being said, as a guest, I do prefer a Saturday because if on a Friday that most likely means I will have to book off work and also depending on the distance, might have to head up Thursday night after work... but Friday in my books would be the next most convenient to Saturday so, not so bad!
  • Leandra
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I’m trying to remember that, too. That those who wants to come will make it, but the people pleaser in me is loud! Lol
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and I didn't have our wedding on a Friday but a Sunday. There's always going to be pros and cons. But just remember this is your wedding day. Do what the two of you want to do! The people that want to be there will be there regardless of what day your wedding is on!

Saving money on any part of the big day is a huge plus in my eyes! That's why we went with a Sunday wedding! Our venue was giving us a discount for having it on the less busy day of the week.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics