Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Formality and Dress Code

Hank, on January 29, 2021 at 18:11 Posted in Wedding fashion 1 14

Formality and Dress Code 1

How formal will you and your partner's wedding outfit be? Did you pick the formality based on the venue or your own personal style? Did you opt to be both in the same category or will each be distinct with your own style?

Will you be giving your guests a dress code, and if so does it match the wedding party's formality?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on January 30, 2021 at 15:33
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I try not to fault anyone if they legitimately can't afford formal wear for whatever reason but I've been to semi-formal weddings where people show up in a polo tee with jeans and runners. Like dude, you couldn't try a tad bit harder and at least wear chinos and dress shoes? Definitely signals a lack of respect by the guest.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely a beautiful couple! You both looked fantastic 👏
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My biggest request was a suit (not birthday, sweat, or track of course) that fit well.

And boy did my man deliver. He looked soooo good 😍
    Formality and Dress Code 2

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing black tie for sure. Guests have the option, I hope that everyone will at least be semi formal. I love dressing up and there is so little opportunity for it. I wear scrubs at work and yoga pants on my days off 😆
  • Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    😂😂 Yeah right!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If he's wearing a black bow tie, then it's black tie Smiley smile

I'm guessing the blue is because of his love for the Leafs lol

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Perfect!!! That's basically where we are at! We thought we were going to have 50 (down from 130) and then 10 days out could only do a ceremony with 10 (I should add I was also in isolation until December 30, waiting for my test results, because I was exposed at work so let's add that to our plates 🤦🏻‍♀️). The boys all have the same suits (also got a good deal) but my husband had originally wanted a blue suit and we wanted an outdoor ceremony so we thought here's our opportunity - found him a beautiful blue suit and had our ceremony in the park we love across from our venue. We are at the point where we just want to have the custom ceremony and reception we thought we were having until December 21, and then move on with our lives. I want to wear my dress so badly!!!! We had made peace with it and so it's funny how much we don't care about our original plan we started planning for in summer 2019 anymore. Highly recommend still getting married if that's all you can do... It was so special and magical in its own way. We really got to just focus on us and then hopefully get to celebrate again in our black tie wear 🥰!
  • Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My FH is wearing a dark navy blue tuxedo and his groomsmen are wearing dark grey ones. My ladies are wearing long a-line dresses, with leg slits, in a bright blue colour. I guess that's not exactly black tuxedo tie attire, but for us it is!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right on! Did your FH go for the standard black tuxedo or did he change it up a bit with a different colour? What kind of suits and dresses did your wedding party end up going with?

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sweet! We're still trying to see how our day will look like. If we can get a normal-ish 50 people ceremony, we'll use our black tie attire (the guys and I bought tuxedos on a massive liquidation sale when things re-opened last summer). If we can only have the five people ala lockdown measures, we'll save it for a bigger party and go with a charcoal suit for the actual day of.

• C
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are saving it but hope we don't end up never wearing our wedding attire😔 🤞🤞🤞. We lucked out finding a beautiful perfect knee length dress and him a beautiful suit both on mega sales that arrived within 2 days of ordering them!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice. Did you wear the clothes you intended to on the day you got married or are you saving it for the big celebration?

• Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's an awesome question!

We will both be dressed in black tie outfits, but the overall feel of our wedding is going to be pretty relaxed. We wanted the opportunity to go all out and dress up, because how often do you really get to wear a tuxedo and a beautiful wedding gown??

Our wedding party will be more on the semi-formal side, and that's what they requested to wear. We're all taking advantage of it while we can! But I'm expecting most of our guests to be in the "smart casual" category. That's fine with me Smiley smile

• C
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is black-tie optional. Our attire is certainly under that category although he is not wearing a tux - we wanted to purchase so his suit is black (original plan was NYE wedding but now we're just pretending it's NYE on our new date... why not 🤣). We wanted to go fancy - we wanted to create a classy and timeless event and how often do we otherwise get to create this vibe and atmosphere? Besides, it's NYE!! For me there was no question about it; both my sister's weddings were black tie and we tend to do holidays more formally given our culture and background. It helps make it extra special (personally). My sisters and MOH chose gorgeous gowns right off the bat (assuming it was black tie and just how we see weddings). Yes, our guests know that the wedding is black tie optional/formal - we made it clear on our website and reminded guests to check out the schedule and dress code etc. on the website when we thought our wedding was coming up, before we had to postpone last minute due to the lockdown 🤦🏻‍♀️. Hopefully I answered all your questions! My husband (we still got married on our original date) just asked if I'm reading a book as I reread my response🤣.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics