Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

For those who changed your last name...

Stephanie, on December 10, 2017 at 23:34 Posted in Just married 0 14

For those of you who changed your name, what was it like the first time you wrote your new name? Did you accidentally write your old last name? Did it look weird? Did it take a while to come up with a new signature?

I feel like it will take me awhile to get used to writing my new name.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Lor, on June 28, 2018 at 14:52
  • Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've decided to assume his name.

1. I am also french from Quebec and never liked how my family always had different names. ( i grew up in Albert and people didn't understand this too)

2. I was adopted from my fathers side so his name doesn't hold true to my roots to begin with.

3. His family has been much more supportive of me and more family than my parents have been.

4. i like the sound of his last name with my name.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its different when you're changing your last name which my husband did and he changed his signature and all ids just last week. For some, the individual will want to keep their last name.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply!

I always call us "the Leduc household" or "the Leducs" I sign all our cards like this too. I think it's really growing up in this province.

Most french Canadians, in Quebec, don't get married either so it's common to see both the parents last names on the birth certificates here.
  • Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m from BC, so it’s faitly common here to change last names, but not mandatory. Here are some of my reasons why I will be changing my last name to his:

1. I like the idea of he and I joining into a family under one name. To be honest, when I see children with parents with different last names, I assume divorce (whether that’s true or not). I want our family to be known as “The <FH last name>”.

2. I genuinely like his last name, it sounds good with my name. I actually like his better than my current last name - my last name is a harsh masculine sounding Norwegian name, while his is a regal sounding British last name.

3. I’m also very close with his family, and they treat me like a true member of their family. They’ll play a big part in helping to raise our future child, so I’d like everyone to be in one clan, so to speak.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I actually plan on continuing to use my current name at work. People know me by that name, and it would mean getting a new e-mail and potentially losing those contacts. When I get a new job though, I will use his name.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know I'll have a hard time writing my new last name because I write my name a thousand times a day as a nurse. It'll be hard to switch it up.

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry to hop on this thread, but I'm curious. What made you ladies decide you will take your FH last name? Do you have a choice in other provinces if you want, or you must take it?

I'm in Quebec so we don't have the choice, we don't take our husbands last name. but even if we could I would never in a million years change my last name. For me it's who I am, it's my dad's last name, it's my Russian heritage. Maybe because I always knew I could never change my last name, I never really envisioned having anyone elses. But, at this point, even if we ever moved to another province, I'd keep it. I won't even be changing it on Facebook lol
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s adorable!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

After a tough day at work, my fiance will call me by his last name and it immediately cheers me up! People have already called him my husband, even when we were dating, but he was quick to correct them! Soon (but not soon enough!), it will be true.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Funny that you mention this! The week leading up to getting proposed we were vacationing in Mexico, so it was easier to just let the people working at the resort call me my boyfriends last name instead of correcting them.

Now thinking back, it was a bit strange. I’d say preparing yourself mentally for it will be good since it is a significant change.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been anticipating this! I am getting nervous I'll mess it up! But I feel like it will look weird though.
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My new signature is really close to my old one, but i still keep screwing up. And i'm still not used to being called by my new last name, and we got married in September. haha

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have thought of my new signature. I am pretty lazy when it comes to my signature though, since it feels like I write it a lot. I've just started writing the first letter and using lines for each following letter of my last name and since my last name and his last name both have the same amount of letters, I won't need to change it much.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't been able to assume my husband's name yet, since in ON we had to wait 10 weeks from the day of our marriage to apply for our certificate, but I've been changing things over like my email, voicemail, social media, etc. so I'm sort of easing into it. It will definitely feel weird when my new ID comes in the mail. It sounds silly, but I've also been practicing how I want to sign my name...one of those weird details that I just feel like will be the biggest hurdle - signing my new name instead of my maiden name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics