Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalie
Curious September 2021 Ontario

For everyone who will get married, and have a reception in the future...

Natalie, on October 1, 2020 at 14:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Hey all,

So, due to the amount of family we have coming from overseas, me and my fiance have decided we will get married on our wedding date next spring, but have a reception in the future when everything is better. (Assuming covid is still around)
I'm stuck on deciding whether to wear my original wedding dress or buy a new one(more casual?) My question is - how are you all coping/changing the planning with having a ceremony and a reception(party) later. Are there some things you're keeping? Some things you're ditching? Have you chosen dates for the reception ?
On the bright side of things: this is like having two weddings!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Hannah, on October 19, 2020 at 20:05
  • H
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband and I were married on our original date this past July with guest count of 26 (immediate family and wedding party). We had a traditional ceremony and an easy reception. We postponed with our venue for next July with the initial guest count of 170! To us marriage is a commitment of two people and a wedding is a celebration. I wore my dress this year, I was a bride and wanted him to see me in the gown as I became his wife 👏. Next year I'm going to change it a bit, I have a strapless dress so will add off the shoulder straps to it, add a belt, have a hair vine instead of a veil and maybe even wear my hair down rather than up like I did this year. I might also change my bouquet a bit!! Slight changes to still make it special while I also have the experience of the wedding I envisioned and worked so hard for!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Reception in the next year or two and to wear the same dress is possible since its a celebration with the full guest list than the smaller on the day of your original. I do see the same point as Hank with nothing wrong to wear the dress twice since your guests haven't seen you in it apart from the immediate family itself.

Covid is still around though there are ways to work through it with just adapting to a smaller scale for now. The celebration with a larger scale is workable once we get out of it.

• Celine
    Frequent user October 2022 Quebec
    Celine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say wear the same dress to both, when else are you going to wear a wedding gown? We decided to make our date 2022 so hopefully COVID is gone by then or at least controlled enough that out of town guests can attend our wedding.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I feel the same way. If COVID is still around by next fall/winter (that's when we'll postpone if June doesn't work out), I don't think I'll wait anymore to have the reception. Anyway, I hope things work out !! Only time can tell

• Clauds
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Clauds ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a microceremony on my original wedding date and the reception will now be August 6th 2021 *fingers crossed* all will be good by then!

I will be wearing the same dress, I just love it so much. Mine is pretty "casual" in the sense that it is easy to move it and is quite simple stylewise. I think you should wear the same dress! We're lucky that we get 2 celebrations and get to wear our dress twice! Smiley winking

As far as planning, I think we will keep everything the same. Will still have cocktail hour just no ceremony and everything else will flow as it was going to. Just makes life easier and we can still have the celebration we originally envisioned.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you should wear the same dress to both. Regardless of how you hold the ceremony, it's still a pretty big deal and I wouldn't purposely go out of my way to get an outfit that's less formal for the occasion. It's also literally the best excuse to wear the thing twice since most people spend so much money just to wear it once.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will wear a wedding dress to both. Hopefully this year's dress but maybe a new one. I don't want to deprive myself of wearing it this year or our family from seeing us all dressed up next year.

This year we are having a small ceremony and reception with about 20 people. Next year is about 80-100. We will do the first dance and bouquet toss and toasts next year. We have the photographer booked for both.
    My biggest worry is that covid will still be a big enough issue next year to still be a problem for travel from the US. I don't want to push the reception again, so if it doesn't happen in 2021 I think I'm done.
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw I'm sorry to hear your day was rushed. This situation sucks! I'm glad you are having a reception though and will hopefully have that bridal experience you want. The whole uncertainty revolving next year(next June) is frustrating..... 100 %
  • Geraldine
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey!

My husband and I got married on Sept 19th - Ceremony only. It was a beautiful day but there were many things we didn’t get to do. I didn’t really get that “bridal experience” and it felt like my ceremony day was rushed because our timeframe was so short. I’m still looking forward in having a slow dance with my husband as well with my father during our party. It just sucks that this was the circumstances to split the occasion but I really wanted to get married especially since next year is still uncertain..
    We have a reception date which is June 6 2021. Hopefully things are better by then to have everyone celebrate..

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics