Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Geneviève
VIP September 2020 Ontario

Floral concerns

Geneviève, on October 30, 2019 at 23:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9

Hey everyone,
My fiancée and I need some advice on florists and what to expect.
We met in person with a florist a few months ago and had our mock ups booked for a couple months later. I got an email the night before asking for the appointment to be moved. We were double booked with a wedding delivery that morning. I couldn’t move it on such short notice so we agreed to meet with the florist’s assistant.

The next morning, there was only one bouquet mock up and it had less than half of what we talked about. We didn’t get too heavy handed with the critiques while we were there because the assistant had no control over it, but the colours were wrong, half the plants weren’t ones we recognized and it looked really slapped together. We sent pictures and lists of flowers in advance of the appointment, so we were disappointed, and now we're worried because we only get one mock-up.

Neither of us know what to do about this. We didn’t sign anything or put down a deposit, so we’re debating discussing it with the florist or just cut our losses and rebook with someone else.

Did anyone else go through something similar? Or am I just overreacting? Any input would help so much!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on November 5, 2019 at 16:41
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would talk with the florist and express your concerns or disappointment before running.

I know with my florist, I had up until a month before the wedding (when she placed the flower order) to change colours, flowers, etc. The flowers from the initial proposal to the actual wedding changed drastically. I wouldn't base too much on a first draft. See what else she has up her sleeve?

• Amanda
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would talk to the florist about your disappointment. Sometimes it is a misunderstanding. I had similar experience with my makeup artist on the invoice and contract. Once I voiced my concern she corrected the error and gave me the explanation.

Be honest with the vendor about your thoughts. If you gut is telling you to look for another florist start your search.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A contract not signed means you have no obligation to the florist due to their time of getting the right flowers and plants of your choice. The mock up bouquet is their way to know you would be happy, which you weren't clearly.

Talk to other florists that will put together a bouquet of your colours given and flower choices. When you find the right vendor, book them given the price is fair and happy with the result.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you havent signed a contract or paid them then i would find someone else. what happens when you pay them? they wont care anymore? the fact that they had months to prepare and the night before threw something together doesnt fly with me.. what happens on your wedding day when its busy season? just throw some flowers together? hell no i am not paying all this money for something i dont want.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks so much for the input everyone! I totally agree with all of you which is why I’m torn. We also just moved provinces so if we were to do another mock up, we wouldn’t be able to get back to see it until a couple of months before the wedding. I also know that both of us will be very mistrusting for the rest of the time but this has definitely made a hard decision a little easier.
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not overreacting, it's your special day and you should feel confident and happy with your choice of vendors. Especially florals, no matter how much or how little you do for florals they're an important part of your day.

I would definitely let them know you were disappointed, they can't try to fix it if they don't know there's something to fix! Be honest with the florist about what was missing and what you were hoping for. If you're still not happy after the meeting, they're not the only florists around Smiley smile
    Good luck!
  • M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely express your disappointment with the appointment. While life happens and it may be more than likely that something happened for the business or the owner, it still remains that they didn't deliver on what you had talked about! There's nothing wrong with an email along the lines of "We were very disappointed in what we saw for x, y, z reasons. We had originally been very excited to see your work and talk about moving forward with you as our vendor, but for that to happen, we really need to see your work as you intend to present it for our wedding. If you are available to re-do this mock up, we would love to meet with you." If they say no, then you have to decide if you want to risk it. But if they are willing to risk the "sales pitch" stage, don't have too high of expectations for the wedding! Best of luck Smiley smile

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A mockup is basically you interviewing them...this is their shot to make an impression. If someone had screwed up that badly, no matter what their service is, I'd be looking elsewhere. Especially if you have the time and resources to take that time loss. That's just my feelings though. If you want to stick with this florist then I'd definitely be asking for a re-do like Kelsie suggested, and I'd expect it to be at no extra charge. But my trust in them would definitely be significantly lowered.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would explain you were disappointed and while you appreciated meeting with the assistant, you’d like a second mock up with the florist and see what they say.

You haven’t booked with them yet so they should want to be accommodating to get your business.
    Our mock up isn’t until before the wedding. So our florist went over pictures and stuff at our meeting, we paid a deposit and sometime in the spring we will meet at our venue and see how everything will be set up!
    So I’d definitely ask them to re do the mock up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics