Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Flip Out Or Forget It? - Someone dropping out of the wedding party

Joey, on August 26, 2019 at 09:13 Posted in Before the wedding 0 24

You chose your wedding party members, readers, ushers, flower girls, ring bearer... You even planned your proposals to them, and you've counted on them in all of your planning. Now someone calls up and says they can't be there on your wedding day anymore, something else has come up.

Flip Out! You invested time energy, and a whole lot of feelings into choosing who would stand up with you, and you really want them by your side. If they committed to your first, that should take priority. A wedding is a huge deal!

Forget It! Life gets in the way, plans change, and you know it doesn't mean this friend or relative doesn't love you or support your relationship. It sucks but you're cool with it.

Flip Out Or Forget It? - Someone dropping out of the wedding party 1

Photo from Pinterest

>>Click here to go to the next question, Someone copies your wedding

>>Or start at the beginning here: Flip Out or Forget It? round 2

24 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on October 2, 2019 at 01:30
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd Forget It to their face, but secretly Flip Out in private.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it!

This actually happened to us. My fiance's ONLY cousin said he couldn't handle the financial burden this summer and that he's gutted he has to bail on the wedding party stuff but he will still be at our wedding. We never intended for this to be a burden for ANYONE. We have been exceptionally accommodating with out wedding party and I think they appreciate that. At the end of the day, they know we love them and we know they love us, so that's all that matters.

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. I have one that might drop out... I'm half planning for it lol Smiley xd I don't need the numbers to match.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely be upset but I would still say forget it.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it, worst case your wedding party is lop sided, your guests won't even notice. And I'm sure photos will still be lovely.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't really know.. I would probably flip out but also forget it and move on.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would’ve vented to my husband but I wouldn’t have said anything to them. It didn’t happen but I feel like I would’ve been in between a flip out and a forget it
  • Melanie
    Curious August 2019 Alberta
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would be so hurt if someone backed out, but I understand that everyone has a life outside of the wedding, if they were to drop out I’m sure it’s for a good reason. But their explanation could really be the only factor in which I don’t freak out. One of my girls was due to have her child 3 weeks prior to the event, she had him early and she’s even not backing out. She’s dedicated.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it - we don't have a formal wedding party. Our daughter and son are standing up for us. If they weren't able to make it, it would be an emergency that would prevent us from making it to our own wedding. Having spent 3 days recently in hospital for my son because of appendicitis, it has crossed my mind that you just can't predict when a crisis will happen.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flip out!

It was husbands best friend that felt he didn't want to do what was expected of his part to be in the wedding party for giving a speech and being part of the entrance. I did flip out big time after he said he would be there to practise and say a few words though he is very shy in public. It was melted over time and good friends again.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flip out. We have a small bridal party of mostly family so if anyone bails - especially last minute - I'll lose it. There should be no reason whatsoever for it.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flip out. My FH and I have 2 people in our wedding party that 1 best man and one MOH if one of them drop out I would probably be really upset especially at this point and being so close to the wedding.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it would depend on the amount of time left to the wedding day they told me. If it's two days before, yeah, there'd be flipping out. If it was a few months in advance, I'd forget it and see if another friend was interested. Also, the reason would be a factor. If something serious suddenly happens or changes in their life, it's understandable definitely if they need to drop out.

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This would definitely be a flip out. This happened with my MOH she was more invested in the planning then I was, always sending me ideas, and pics of everything from colour schemes to table linens. She would plan trips out to see me (as I had moved to a different province for work at this point.) what ended up ultimately coming between her as my MOH and friend was her boyfriend, the jealous possessive type, he didn’t like that her attention was on the wedding as she was extremely excited for me and her always wanting to come out to plan.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I'd forget it. I only have 1 MOH I couldn't imagine a situation where she wouldn't be with me. If she couldn't be there it would be a real reason
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it would definitely be situational - if it was something like a family emergency, then I would forget it and completely understand. If they just decided that they suddenly don't have time for it, I would flip.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly it depends on the reason. If it was like “I just don’t want to do it I changed my mind” then I’d flip. If it was because of money problems or family issues/sickness or something then I’d forget it.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dealing with this now actually so funny it has come up. I am at the point where I do not care, so for me it is "forget it".

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it - Look, being in a wedding party isn't for everyone. It's easy to take it personal, but in the end it might just save your friendship.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would flip out for sure. Especially since it’s such a long engagement (25 months all said and done) so they’ve had PLENTY of time! if anyone was to drop out at this point i would be furious
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would forget it. I don’t have a wedding party, so one less thing for me to worry about 👌🏻
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would flip out. These are people you are supposed to rely on and if they committed and then flaked out, that is terrible. Obviously there are extenuating circumstances but otherwise not cool.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it- I have been threw all this drama and just learned to deal with it.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would forget it. I've already told them that if they can't fit their outfits then they are out of the party and that I don't care about odd numbers so it should be the same the other way around if they were to voluntarily drop out. Just might not be good for our friendship though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics